by silentlambs 74 Replies latest jw friends

• silentlambs
    silentlambs

, http://www.courier-journal.com/localnews/2002/05/08/ke050802s203205.htm

Jehovah's Witnesses act against abuse-policy critics

By Peter Smith
    [email protected]
    The Courier-Journal
    Leaders of the Jehovah's Witnesses are taking steps to excommunicate a Western Kentucky man and three other church members who have publicly criticized what they say is their church's secretive handling of child-molestation cases.
    Bill Bowen of Benton, Ky., said he was summoned to a judicial hearing to be held Friday at his Draffenville, Ky., church to answer allegations of ''causing divisions within the congregation and organization of Jehovah's Witnesses.''
    Bowen resigned as an elder in the Marshall County congregation in December 2000
    to protest the church's handling of a
    local case and its policies on handling abuse allegations. He has since formed a support group for abuse victims.
    Bowen figured prominently in a CourierJournal report in February 2001 on sexualabuse issues among Jehovah's Witnesses, as did a New Jersey couple who also say they are threatened with excommunication, Carl and Barbara Pandelo.
    A former employee at church headquarters, Barbara Anderson of Normandy, Tenn., said she also faces excommunication.
    The Jehovah's Witnesses Office of Public Information declined to comment specifically on the four cases, citing confidentiality policies.
    The Courier-Journal report cited court cases in several states in which Jehovah's Witnesses officials were accused of keeping secret the allegations of abuse by their elders or members in two cases, allegedly in violation of state law.
    Leaders of the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society, as the organization is formally known, have disputed these claims, saying they obey all laws requiring the reporting of child abuse and do not interfere with police investigations.
    They say that in states that do not require reporting of abuse, they prefer taking steps to protect children while not breaching what they see as confidential communications between elders and members.
    Church officials say they might advise elders to move victims out of abusive homes or refer them to counseling.
    Bowen said he believes the action is being taken to deter Jehovah's Witnesses from listening to him, the Pandelos and Anderson in news reports or on the Web site of his ''silentlambs'' organization (www.silentlambs.org).
    He said church members who listen to the words of ''apostates,'' or those who abandon the faith, are at risk of excommunication themselves.
    Bowen said he has asked that his hearing be postponed from Friday because of plans for minor surgery.
    In its statement, the Jehovah's Witnesses Office of Public Information quoted biblical references in saying elders must use church discipline to ''shepherd the flock of God in their care.''
    ''In fact, they are required by the Holy Scriptures to see to it that the congregation remains clean and unified,'' the statement said. ''No hasty decision is made in this process.''
    The goal is not to expel a member, but to follow the Apostle Paul's injunction to ''try to readjust such a man in a spirit of mildness,'' the statement said.
    The Pandelos, of Belmar, N.J., were summoned to a hearing Monday night at their local congregation concerning unspecified ''allegations of apostasy,'' according to a April 19 letter on Watchtower stationery.
    Carl Pandelo said he and his wife stayed only five minutes, long enough to deliver letters of protest to the chairman of the disciplinary committee. They have not received a reply.
    ''It's not like we didn't expect it,'' he said. ''You're not allowed to talk against the church in any way.''
    The pandelos, who no longer attend Jehovah's Witnesses services, have told The Courier-Journal that after Carl's father, Clement Pandelo, molested their daughter, the congregation acted more sympathetically to the molester than to his victim.
    Elders did tell Clement Pandelo to turn himself in to police, and he pleaded guilty in 1989 to molesting three girls after admitting molesting children for 40 years.
    An elder with the congregation told The Courier-Journal that church leaders did the best they could to mediate the situation.
    Anderson said she has not seen the charges against her in writing but that her husband, an elder at a Manchester, Tenn., congregation, was told she was accused of ''causing divisions.''
    ''I categorically deny any of this,'' said Anderson, a former employee at Watchtower headquarters in Brooklyn, N.Y., where she said she first learned about the church's policies on handling abuse cases.
    In the past year, two more lawsuits have been filed against Watchtower in New Hampshire and Washington state, accusing local church elders of failing to follow state laws on reporting suspected abuse to police.
    In both cases, church members were convicted of sexual abuse.
    One suit filed in January by Erica Rodriguez, who said she was repeatedly abused by a church member years ago, claims an elder at her former congregation in Washington state threatened her with excommunication if she reported her abuser to police.
    A Watchtower statement denies this, saying that there are no sanctions against anyone who chooses to go to police, and that church elders and Watchtower did not know of the abuse until years after it had occurred.
    In New Hampshire, two women are suing Watchtower, alleging elders failed to report suspicions of abuse. Their father was later convicted and sentenced to 56 years in prison for abuse.
    Jehovah's Witnesses, founded in the 19th century, number about 1 million members in the United States and 6 million globally.
    Best known for its door-to-door evangelism, the church views its teachings as authentic Christianity, though it parts company with other Christian bodies on some fundamental beliefs.
    Like some other close-knit religious organizations, Jehovah's Witnesses practice church discipline within their congregations and sometimes ''disfellowship,'' or excommunicate, members who are believed to persist in their errors.

• Intuit39
    Intuit39

FYI

This has already been broadcast to all employees of Kentucky Cabinet for Families and Children, numbering THOUSANDS across the Commonwealth, by their office of communications.

Shame on the filthy, lying, deceitful, absolutely disgusting braindead drones at Bethel.... It really is the Borg.

• Will Power
    Will Power
    A Watchtower statement denies this, saying that there are no sanctions against anyone who chooses to go to police

funny how the 4 currently being called to a judicial hearing are only guilty of reporting and making public such abuses.

The public needs to be informed. Thank you for your brave work
    Mr. B.

• ChiChiMama
    ChiChiMama
    The goal is not to expel a member, but to follow the Apostle Paul's injunction to ''try to readjust such a man in a spirit of mildness,'' the statement said.

Their goal is to expel all who speak out on WT Policy on child abuse but they try every way possible to "readjust" a person guilty of child molestation!
    How sick!!!

ChiChi

• Guest 77
    Guest 77

Marching to the tune of the beat. And the beat goes on!

Guest 77

• blindfool
    blindfool

Mr. Bowen,
    This is important work and you are a good man for taking up this cause.

Many Thanks,

BDF

• anewperson
    anewperson

Good, Bill!

• Fredhall
    Fredhall

You lost Bill

• airmail special
    airmail special

Readers.
    I find it interesting that people would so heartedly agree with the above post and brand all jws and its organization as a haven for paedophiles.
    Now we know it exists in the Wt organization, as it does everywhere, amongst many religions. But here we have a person who worked at Bethel, who must have known about all the cases and so-called cover ups yet for how long we don’t know did nothing about it. I live in Australia and have seen an elder be accused of paedophilia, none of the victims would go to court even though they were encouraged to by the elders to get this man behind bars.
    They the victims didn’t want to go through the ordeal so with no witness testimony the man never went to jail where he should have. He was disfellowshipped, still though more victims came forward to the elders but none wanted to go to court. A witness reported him to the police but because no witnesses would step forward he still remains free and unpunished.
    So many times it seems people who have not been abused carry on more then the ones who have, im wondering what support if any these whingers have given to the abused people.
    My friend was one of these abused by this elder, she saw no reason to leave the witnesses but would not go to court to put this man in jail, as she puts it she wanted to spare her children the indignity.
    Having dealt with this problem my self with abused people, and reading the above story of disgruntled members im wondering if they ever helped a victim or they are just using it for an excuse to leave the wt society. If the society has acted improper on these issues it will be shown but what really are the intentions of some people.
    Airmail

• morrisamb
    morrisamb

Dear Reader(Airmail)

I will only comment on your point about so many victims not reporting.

You might be interested in this column I wrote on the subject: (this will appear in part of a larger column in the Gay & Lesbian World Review -May issue on abuse and the church.)

Why Victims Don’t Tell

As a survivor of sexual abuse, what strikes me as most ironic is the fact that male victims still remain nameless: ashamed of their experience even now, in 2002. Why should male victims be ashamed when our numbers are legion?
    It's time we talk openly about child abuse and its prevention. But the fact is that men are ashamed of disclosing their experience with sexual abuse. They shouldn't be.
    Even today, as we watch the Catholic priest scandal unfold and legions of boys come forward to report abuse that occurred years or decades ago, most of the victims of sexual abuse—especially males—are reluctant to tell what happened to them. Why should this be the case?
    Since 1982, the year in which I and four other victims charged our abuser in court, scores of men have confided their history of sexual abuse to me. Yet few have gone public with their story.
    A more pressing question is why victims don’t report the abuse while it’s going on. For boys at least, perhaps the most common reason is the culturally imposed shame they experience when the contact is homosexual. While most victims are not gay, the very fact that they were targeted for abuse somehow raises questions about their masculinity. Beyond that, victims of sexual abuse, however innocent of wrongdoing themselves, are often made to feel like “damaged goods” by the larger community. Thus, for example, after hearing about our case an otherwise sympathetic minister [Elder] recommended that I change my name, “because there is a bad sound to it now. It’s connected to the abuser. People will think of him, not of you as his victim.”
    As the current crisis in the Catholic Church will reveal, a powerful institution can stand as a formidable barrier to the disclosure of unpleasant little secrets such as sexual abuse. In our case, even after the situation had come to the attention of our mother, the family was reluctant to rock the boat by setting in motion the Witnesses’ top-heavy judicial apparatus. To report our abuse would have involved the Children’s Aid Society, which would have removed us from our father’s reach—but where would we have ended up then?
    Our society cultivates feelings of shame in subtle and not-so-subtle ways. Often an abuser is enabled to continue molesting by members of the community. Although our father was excommunicated by the congregation and our mother was publicly reproved for not reporting the incidents to the ministers earlier, we four children were sent back home with our abuser.
    Therefore, although the congregation was protected, the abuser's children and the public at large were not. From the disclosures other victims have shared with me, my experience is not unusual in this regard.
    Another reason for silence is a concern for the feelings of the extended family. But I suggest disclosure may lessen the feelings of shame. Sometimes victims must listen to their abuser being praised as a fine pillar in the community. Silence perpetuates abuse.
    I am not suggesting that court proceedings will not prove daunting. I have learned justice is a relative term.....
    Survival is a never-ending process. Our society still tries to silence victims. My abuser writes me: "It appears (I) am the only one whose lifestyle reflects that of the Almighty...I forgive you for all that you have done to me." But I encourage fellow victims and survivors to take charge of their destiny. Come forward, seek help and healing. For those who have the strength, fortitude and peer support, consider telling your story and seek legal counsel now. It is only by publicly bonding that we can truly feel we are not alone, not to blame and do not need to continue feeling shame.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit