Homosexuality, the GB and the Bible

by Oubliette 46 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

The recent topics addressing the shamefully bigoted talk by JW GB member, Anthony Morris, on the subject of homosexuality got me thinking. What the heck is up with the GB's obsession with this subject?

As far as I can determine, Jesus never said a single thing in reference to homosexuality. My recollection is that there are only half a dozen scriptures in the entire bible on the subject and they are either in the OT or written by Paul. Either way, six or seven verses about homosexuality out of over 30,000 verses on a wide range of other subjects gives us pause to consider:

• Why do the GB give such disproportionate attention to this subject?

It reminds me of the quote from Hamlet, "The lady doth protest too much, methinks."

The GB are clearly pre-occupied with the subject in an obviously unhealthy way.

Are they projecting their own self-loathing and trying to cover up for their own homosexual urges?

What do you think?

• JustVisting
    JustVisting

well, another poster mentioned an elder that used to constantly harp about fornication who ended up being guilty of that himself.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

What the heck is up with the GB's obsession with this subject ?

A better question might be why are most Christian based faiths obsessed with the subject of homosexuality ?

The JWS just fit into that group.

Of course this comes from the bible itself in its written scriptures concerning homosexuality.

One has to acknowledge that ancient people who lived 2000 years ago did not know what todays modern

knowledge of homosexuality is in regards that its a genetic abnormality with its connecting social

behavior.

Religionists insist its a just a common sin like adultery or fornication, stealing .... etc.

So belittling and demeaning theses ones becomes manifested as it is.

Since people (humans) are born that way, why don't religionists like Christians not pick on the mentally

handicapped or the blind and deaf, they were born that way as well too ???

• NAVYTOWN
    NAVYTOWN

Homosexuality should be referred to as a 'genetic variation', not a 'genetic abnormality', in my opinion.

• Bob_NC
    Bob_NC

Same sex attraction is seen in all animal groups. Same sex attraction is the minority, but does that equate to it being abnormal? Is left-handedness abnormal? Which of these is abnormal, attraction to men with hairy chests or attraction to men with hairless chests?

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

Knorr , Mad Freddie, Chitty, Greenleas, all the tip of the iceberg, they all seemed to embrace it

• Quendi
    Quendi

The Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses has been preoccupied with homosexuality for decades going all the back to Nathan Knorr's presidency if not before. Knorr used to conduct midnight raids in Bethel with the aim of finding Bethelites in flagrante delicto. Those found in "compromising positions" were summarily disfellowshipped and dismissed from Bethel. But despite these raids outing some, Knorr's efforts to stamp out the small gay community at Bethel ultimately failed. There is still a gay cell in Brooklyn as well as at Wallkill. It wouldn't surprise me to learn that there is a third one at Patterson.

Leo Greenlees was a Governing Body member who was a homosexual. When this was discovered, he was dismissed from both the Brooklyn headquarters and the Governing Body. But he was not disfellowshipped. Instead, he was assigned to the circuit work in the New Orleans area, a post he held for some time. I don't know when and where Greenlees finally died, but I do know that his sexual orientation was kept secret. I can only wonder what clandestine affairs he had at world headquarters and how he was finally outed. Someone else may have that information.

There have been doubtless many others in the upper echelons of the WTS who were or are gay men. Having been a gay Witness myself, I know the self-loathing and internalized homophobia these men are feeling. There are some who maintain that Knorr himself was a gay man and this was the reason for his own denunciations of homosexuality. His marriage has been characterized as being devoid of the normal passion one would expect. Suspicion has also been cast on Fred Franz who was a lifelong bachelor and never evinced any interest in women. But lack of interest in women does not mean a man is gay, either.

The point I wish to make is that gay men have been or currently are present at every level of the organization. For the most part they have remained deeply closeted, but that does not mean that their sexual identities aren't known to a select few. Many of these men have entered into marriages that can hardly be characterized as happy or fulfilling. But they have done so for the oldest reason in the world: avoiding being outed and suffering embarrassment and disgrace. Others have opted for celibacy, a choice that leads to frustration and depression. Despite this, these men believe they are better off and will maintain their present course.

Now the Governing Body knows all this and I am sure they fear and loathe the gay men at headquarters and in the organization at large. Are some of them gay men themselves? That is entirely possible and that may well account for their frequent and vehement denunciations of LGBT people and their way of life and love. The organization's history has a gay component which its leaders do not want to admit or acknowledge. So the strategy will be to denounce as frequently as possible and to deny everything at all times. But despite these efforts, I do not believe they will succeed in keeping this secret. The Internet has been the key to opening a Pandora's box full of woes for the organization. That box is not yet empty. More and more of its contents are getting out and finding people who want to share them with others. In the ancient myth of Pandora's box, after all its evils had been released into the world, one occupant remained. That was Hope, hope that eventually all the evils would be overcome. In the WTS situation, Hope does not remain. The troubles being loosed upon the organization will not be resolved, but will ultimately destroy it. That may not happen in my lifetime, but I am convinced that it is inevitable.

Quendi

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

well, another poster mentioned an elder that used to constantly harp about fornication who ended up being guilty of that himself.

I had an elder in Bethel tell me off for having a classical CD with a very romantic picture of a man and woman kissing on it. He was shortly after disfellowshipped for having a 7 year affair. One of my room mates in Bethel used to regularly berate gays, yet later told me he had been in a homosexual relationship a couple of years prior to coming to Bethel. People can make a big deal over things they have a personal struggle with.

Another reason they fear homosexuality, is that it is a great threat to numbers. Homosexuality cannot be "cured", as much as they argue otherwise, and they know that if a person is disfellowshipped for homosexuality it is very unlikely they will return.

• Quendi
    Quendi

jwfacts wrote: "[The Governing Body] know that if a person is disfellowshipped for homosexuality it is very unlikely they will return."

Amen to that! I was disfellowshipped for homosexuality and I have no intention of ever returning. I have spoken to other gay ex-Witnesses who feel exactly the same.

Quendi

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Maybe he's taking over where George Couch ended. During his morning worship comments George often spoke about the dangers of young brothers wrestling in their underwear or roommates giving each other backrubs. He had much to say about the dangers of going to clubs in the Village, looking at bras and underwear in the J.C.Penney catalog, etc.

I have to admit that the way George would talk about many of these subjects was rather entertaining. We'd actually pay close attention so that we could joke about it for years afterward. I never found Tony da Turd entertaining or educational. I can only give him credit for helping to wake me up to the fact that it's all a cult led by idiots.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit