Observations about last nights meeting...

by DATA-DOG 32 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

... BTW it was soooo boooorrrinnng!!!

Draw close to Jehovah(tm)/bookstudy:

Excruciatingly boring. One outstaning point was that Jehovah(tm) does not change. Everything he does has "love" as the motivating force behind it. That made me think of A. Morris III and his comments about Jehovah(tm) not being sentimental, and how you may as well just sit your kid down and tell them goodbye. What a psycho...

Then a home-schooled obese girl [ Elder's daughter ] gives the TMS part about "one true religion." So the "true religion" sticks to the Bible as the ULTIMATE source of truth and NOT human ideas. LOL!!! HA!!!! Also, it must make GOD's name known like Jesus did at Matthew 4:10. Errr..ok. It was just painful to watch. I mean, she is a good kid, but just contemplating her future in the WTBTS made me sad. I lean towards preterism these days and it pains me to think that a child is obese within a religion that discourages self-improvement because the END is nigh. If you are obese at 16, what happens when you get knocked up at 19-20 by your ex-bethelite/janitor Eldub husband?!?!?

Then the number 3 assignment... Jesus is Abaddon??? I don't believe that meets the criteria for truth. It is just as probable [ maybe more so ] that Satan is the fallen star [ why would that be Jesus?!?!] and Satan would unleash terrible things from the pit or abyss. Why would Jesus do that? Also, if Jesus is not an "angel", then it could not be Jesus who binds the Devil and throws him in the abyss. Anyway, thank God for the GB/FDS, cause they say it's Jesus...

Next the boring and mind-numbing service meeting. Blah,blah,blah, yak,yak,yak. blah, blah.... The Elders are great! Let's praise them!! All hail the Dukes!! Get ready to obey and worship them starting this week!! Then comes 1 Thess 5:12-13, a real whopper. I am not sure of the RNWT rendering, but the NWT reads this way, " Now we request YOU, brothers, to have regard for those who are working hard among YOU and presiding over YOU in [the] Lord and admonishing YOU; 13 and to give them more than extraordinary consideration in love because of their work. Be peaceable with one another. The Greek in these verses simply says to "know" them or perceive, examine, cherish, on and on,ect. The flavor of those verses is not one of doing obeisence to "8 dukes."

Then the rest was just plain boring. Don't be a silent partner in field serve-us. Don't worry, I won't. I will just stay home and if I do go out it will be a rarity, and just drive the car, blaming all on health issues.

THE END..

DD

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

You have my pity. I would sooner shove splinters in my eyes that sit through another stale meeting in a stale kingdom hell with stale people spouting stale doctrine with stale conditional love.

One outstaning point was that Jehovah(tm) does not change.

Cobblers! Old J-dude can't make his mind up to save his reputation. No wonder many of us cannot believe in the old twat.

• Legacy
    Legacy

Hi,

Before Jesus was Michael the Archangel, now he is Abbadon...do you know how many witnesses didn't know that...all of them I spoke to. Many of them have been witnesses for years or even raised as a witness..& after all this time, Abbadon is now Jesus, they toss Jesus all over the place...this is another tactic to show how loving the org. is. They had to tell you something...ELSE.. you didn't know...see we are smarter than any other religion. This is a religion that started out to be a good idea, but they can't keep it up. They are afraid folks are waking up they are, but many might wake up to leave.

Jesus is God's son, that's it...God said it, this is my son, not my angel, not Abbadon, not Michael...but just hold on...in a few years, they are going to make Jesus someone else...they ain't finished with him yet.

Legacy

• KateWild
    KateWild

Sounds to me you have to worship the BoE as they will tell you something lifesaving not in the scriptures or the publications. Maybe there will be a letter soon telling everyone to drink the kool aid. Kate xx

• BU2B
    BU2B

Even though I live many states away, my thoughts were almost identical to your thoughts. One interesting point that was brought out in the part about elders at my hall was that the brother giving the part said and I quote "Elders do not have any special title or privleges" !!! WTF?? My eyes got very wide at this point. Tell me just what would happen if that elder took karate classes?? Would he lose his privleges?? Oh I thought he didnt have any to lose lol. Then he said the reason they dont have any special title was that we dont call them "Elder" Williams, or "Elder" Jones, and the fact they dont wear special clothes (barf) The JWs seem so oblivious to when they countradict themselves or when they make ZERO logical sense. They dont even seem to notice when they make patently untrue statements.

As for the part about the one true religion, I went to the restroom, turned down the sound and pretended to take a dookie for 15 minutes while playing Temple Run and Jetpack Joyride. Otherwise I would have had to leave. What a dreadful meeting, and yes it was sooooo boring.

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

I had to sit through it, too. I noticed Jesus was left out pretty much entirely. Of course, the Draw Close book isn't about Jesus, but I started to write scriptures in it that pertained. In the box "Some of Jehovah's Titles", for example:

Father. The source of all life, including everlasting life, he has fatherly love for his servants.--Proverbs 27:11;John 5:21

Hmm. What about Jesus? John 14:6

The Rock. Unchanging, he is a secure refuge.--Deuteronomy 32:4.

Hmm. What about Jesus? 1 Cor 10:4

Shepherd. He guides and protects his sheeplike servants and arranges for their spiritual sustenance.--Psalm 23:1

Hmm. What about Jesus? John 10:1; John 10:14

The part about the "right religion" was a joke. Mind you, I love both the sisters who gave the part. Really nice people. But the reality is, the question posed was never answered. The householder was asking how does one know what the right religion is when so many claim to be it? Every religion thinks it's the right one. (Valid point!) The "teacher" read verses, (the Lord, Lord verses). Then she illustrated with the infamous "counterfeit money" illustration. 'One doesn't study every piece of counterfeit money. One studies the real thing, and then can easily recognize a counterfeit.'. Um. Okay. This doesn't answer the question. How do you know what the real thing is to begin with? The "teacher" started with the assumption that the householder viewed the JW religion as the real thing. After they were done, the conductor (really, quite a nice man, a decent person... most of our elders are, so no complaints there) said, "Thank you, Sisters. That was so clear and understandable." I was like... ????

The part on elders was given by a brother who brought up the 'jw.org banned in Russia' and played the persecution card, thus bolstering the "obey the elders" bit. Ugh.

The rest was, as you said, boring.

~LQ

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

Oh, during the elder part, a sister commented about 1 Cor 12 that talks about the gifts in men. I started reading it and came across 1 Cor 12:3:

Now I would have you know that nobody when speaking by God’s spirit says: “Jesus is accursed!” and nobody can say: “Jesus is Lord!” except by holy spirit.

I had to mark this for further research because, as you know, JWs don't say "Jesus is Lord" as a matter of course. So, looking it up this morning, I found it is indeed a rarely discussed verse. One discussion is in a lengthy article from 1972 (w72 11/15 starting on page 688). The article was very, very different than any article I've read in recent times. It talked about the necessity of making public declaration, specifically that Jesus is Lord, that he was raised from the dead. It was very much about Jesus, way more than I've read since then. It talks about baptism and dedication and related the dedication to that public declaration, not so much the dedicating of one's life to do God's will (though that's touched upon), but more about the public confession that Jesus is Lord. I wondered if the article was written by Ray Franz. It's a good read (but lengthy), if you're interested.

• notjustyet
    notjustyet

There is a youtube video out there that shows some old Jw literature that states, at different times that both Satan AND Jesus were Abbadon.

Not that you would find it interesting enough to watch but thought it interesting.

NJY

• Haereticus
    Haereticus

"'The prince of the power of the air.' Eph. 2:2... That is, Destroyer. But in plain English his name is Satan, the Devil" (The Finished Mystery p. 159).

The word "Abaddon" is derived from the Hebrew term abad, and is applied to Jehovah, who is the One that is "able to save and to destroy". Jehovah destroys them that hate him. (Deut. 7:10) Many Scripture texts apply this Hebrew word to Jehovah relative to destruction. For example:"I will destroy thee, 0 covering cherub." (Ezek. 28:16) "Shall I not in that day [day of the Lord], saith the Lord, even destroy [Hebrew, abad] the wise men out of Edom, and understanding out of the mount of Esau [Satan's organization]?" (Obad. 8) To the same effect it is written: "And it shall come to pass in that day, saith the Lord, that I will cut off thy horses out of the midst of thee, and I will destroy thy chariots." — Mic. 5:10.

The Greek word Apollyon, which the Revelator applies here, means "destroying one", and is applied many times in the Scriptures to Jehovah, who is called the destroying One. (Matt. 10:28; 21:41; Jude 5) If there could be any doubt about this, James settles it when he writes: " There is one lawgiver, who is able to save and to destroy [Greek, apollymi]: who art thou that judgest another?" (Jas. 4:12) The overwhelming Scriptural authority, in both the Old and the New Testament, applies these titles to Jehovah. (Light I p. 145-146)

"In Hebrew his name is Abaddon, meaning 'Destruction'; and in the Greek it is Apollyon, meaning 'Destroyer.' All this plainly identifies the 'angel' as picturing Jesus Christ, the Son of Jehovah God" (Then is Finished the Mystery of God p. 232 ).

• Emery
    Emery

I feel your pain, I have to go to the 2 day assembly this weekend...my wife and I plan on smuggling in mimosas using our coffee mugs to help us get through the day.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit