Can Jehovah's witnesses eat halal and kosher meat?

by Reynam 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• prologos
    prologos

Black Sheep's citation from 64 was enlightenig. Why would feeding blood, inards to animals be wrong? ecept to cows, that is where Mad Cows came from.

but Freddy Franz declared that giving Blood transfusions to your pets would be wrong.

Just read a bible commentary on the bloodless diet after the flood: it meant --no feeding on animals that are still ALIVE, like the Massai blood diet i.e.

emulating vampire bats, mosquitos, .

remember too the advise -- not to buy cosher matzos for the memorial, -- because the ingredience are not 'kosher' the wt way.

yes we can! obama.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Reynam asked, "... my question is, can JW eat halal and kosher meat?"

That's an interesting question!

My initial thought was "Yes, they can."

But then I recalled Acts 15:29: "You are to abstain from food sacrificed to idols, from blood, from the meat of strangled animals and from sexual immorality. You will do well to avoid these things. Farewell."

Could an argument be made that the religious requirements for food to meet Jewish Kosher and Muslim Halal standards is a kind of FALSE "religious blessing" on the food?

Yes folks, when you get down to the religious nitty-gritty, Judaism is just as much a FALSE RELIGION as submission to Allah - Islam - is.

Hmmmm?

So maybe not, eh?

• mynameislame
    mynameislame

Could an argument be made that the religious requirements for food to meet Jewish Kosher and Muslim Halal standards is a kind of FALSE "religious blessing" on the food?

Interesting point, I don't ever remember that being discussed. We always used to use Kosher wine and unlevened bread for the memorial.

• galaxie
    galaxie

Mr Mclean said "NOTHING! that has blood in it do we eat " He is the Jw spokesman when he said NOTHING what did he mean?. Without splitting hairs to me that means NOTHING!. If I said I will breath absolutely NO poison gas, does that mean I'll only breath a little?? I would suggest I am not belittling the JWs they do a good enough job of that themselves!!!.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Mynameislame oberved, " Interesting point, I don't ever remember that being discussed. We always used to use Kosher wine and unlevened bread for the memorial."

I'll admit that during the 20-odd years I was a Dub this never occurred to me, and I consumed Kosher foods without giving it a second thought.

It would be kind of interesting to hear the Watchtower's weasel-words on this issue of Pure Worship™.

Now I'm a free atheist and don't worry none about what superstitious people do.

• billythekid46
    billythekid46

Now you’re being too literal galaxie. “Nothing” means excessive when it comes to blood in a food product to normal people. You’re looking at the word in a dictionary standard, just like you looked at the poison gas illustration literally. If you were in a poisoned gas filled room but had a gas mask on, you would not take off the gas mask if you had no other choice but to wait until the room was clear or cleaned of the poison. Now to just attack 1 religion like the Jw’s without condemning the rest is belittling. If you believe they are doing those themselves, then you have place judgment on them. Then what makes any other religion more tangible? What makes your truth any better? Remember there are cultures even today that when they slaughtered an animal, they’ll drink the blood while the blood is draining to gain the life force of that animal in a ritual. Not only that, some will drink the blood of captured prisoner combatants once they behead them. “EXCESSIVE” in these cases mean “NOTHING”

• galaxie
    galaxie

Billy.You define nothing as excessive? Have a you checked the dictionary?

However I do understand the point your trying to make.

You are basically apologising for the likes of Mr McLean( JW spokesman)who said "NOTHING that has blood in it do we eat".

The fact he is j w is not the point it would not matter which body of people he represented. I refer you again to the poison gas analogy:

If I say I breath no poison gas but KNOWINGLY brath a little, is that not hypocritical? What would you think I was being?

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

How the killing is done :

" Yet things are not as simple as they seem. Shimon Cohen, from Shechita UK, a group set up to promote awareness of Jewish methods of slaughter, and Ruksana Shain, from behalal.org, insist that cutting an individual animal's throat in a single swipe is less cruel than stunning it first by driving a bolt into its skull, gassing it or electrocuting it. Despite this, the halal food authority, which certifies meat for outlets such as KFC, controversially allows animals that are stunned before being killed to be certified as halal. And, according to an RSPCA fact sheet, 90% of animals killed for halal food in 2004 were stunned first. As in mainstream food production, the animal's throat is then cut."

Nathan Natas makes a good point above, but I suppose the cunning JW would quote Paul's words about " making no enquiry......." so even if it has been technically Sacrificed to a false god, the JW is in the clear.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Hebrew National hot dogs are really good.

Rub a Dub

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit