Can Jehovah's witnesses eat halal and kosher meat?

by Reynam 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Reynam
    Reynam

HI! I'm new here, I pretty much created this account cause I couldn't find the answer to my question.

And my question is, can JW eat halal and kosher meat?

I was searching online but all I found was that JW dont have any food restrictions besides consuming blood.

If someone can answer my question, please and thank u!

• insearchoftruth4
    insearchoftruth4

Welcome Reynam,

Your question can JW's eat halal and kosher meat? Yes they can.

Again welcome...

insot4

• jwleaks
    jwleaks

A discussion on the viewpoint of Jehovah's Witnesses concerning the butchering of animals for human consumption was held during an Australian Senate Investigation in 1999. An extract of the relevent section of the official transcript appears below.

[Don] MacLean is the director of Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of Australia and a member of the Branch Committee.

[Vincent] Toole is legal counsel for Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of Australia and an elder (former circuit overseer/sheep shearer)

The entire senate transcript, and other documents relating to Jehovah's Witnesses in Australia, can be downloaded at:

http://jwleaks.org/australia/

The senate document appears under the subheading "Senate Investigation".

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

They do have some pretty weird rules though.

15 Feb 1964 Watchtower, Questions From Readers

What, then, of animal food? May it be used if there is reason to believe there is blood in it? As far as a Christian is concerned, the answer is No, on the basis of principles already mentioned. Therefore, if a Christian discovers that blood components are listed on the label of a container of dog food or some other animal food, he could not conscientiously feed that product to any animal over which he has jurisdiction. He could not conclude that doing so would be excusable, for this would not be a case of an animal killing another animal and helping itself to the blood of that creature. No, this would be a direct act on the part of the Christian, making him responsible for feeding blood to a pet or other animal belonging to him.

• galaxie
    galaxie

Mr Toole said:ABSTAIN FROM BLOOD ...Abstain:...Choose to keep oneself from doing! So if its a choice whats the problem ? If they choose to take it to mean: eat NO blood knowingly whatsoever then if they (the JWs ) know that any meat or otherwise product contains blood they which would include rare steak dripping RED then they should not eat it .I, M.O. THEY ARE HYPOCRITICAL...!!

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Welcome Reynam, I hope you stick around and join in the fun.

Here in the UK plenty of JWs eat halal or kosher meat. In fact my Dad who was an elder (RIP), used to ask for kosher food when he was out.

Mind you, in view of Governing Body member A Morris 3rd's recent talk in Italy you mustn't wear tight trousers.

Regards Paul

• sauloftarsus
    sauloftarsus

The idealism of many religions attempt to entrap a JW with the question of blood. JW’s while abstaining from blood doesn’t necassrually mean 100%. It simply means they don’t intentionally or deliberately consume blood. God gave Adam permission to eat whatever domestic animal he had on his position in the Garden of Eden. However many cultures throughout the world even in today’s meals have people digesting blood. Blood pudding, blood sausage, is a regular cuisine. Kosher food does not mean 100% bloodless. It simply means the meat was blessed by a rabbi before consumption. In the 70’s and 80’s when purchasing meats from the market it had residual blood in the package. JW’s would simply cleanse the meat for consumption, as science later found out that bacteria would linger in the blood. Now the markets go to great lengths to get rid of excessive blood so as not to cause Salmonella poisoning. As an Ex-Witness, this argument is baseless.

• jgnat
    jgnat

In my experience members of the public have a lot of confusion over what Jehovah's Witnesses believe, unless they have a family member converted. I've been asked if JW's can smoke, drink.

The refusal of life-saving blood transfusions is pretty well known.

• galaxie
    galaxie

Saulo..."they don't intentionally or deliberately eat blood".Is deliberately putting ANY food product in your mouth and consuming it knowing it contains whatever amount of blood not intentionally eating it , it is in my book!

• sauloftarsus
    sauloftarsus

Now you’re just splitting hairs on a pointless argument. Excessive consumption of blood is the question to normal people. If you’re a theologian GALAXIE, your book would be incorrect. Answer me this, do you breathe? Simply yes, do you breathe poison gas? If you say yes that would be your choice no one else’s, such as witness bashing that this site was made for. This doctrine of hatred makes no religion any better, since all men are fellable, your approach of belittling one religion for their beliefs was not spoken by Christ in any form, that’s why everyone has a choice to choose whatever religion they want, and at the end, we will see who GOD chose to restart the earth, sounds good?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit