Should I meet with the elders?

by winnie12 29 Replies latest jw experiences

• winnie12
    winnie12

So I posted my story somewhere on this board but long story short I have been expressing my doubts to my mom who is a jw. I have been fading since December 2013 and went to a Sunday meeting for the first time maybe two weeks ago. I went only because I wanted to use the library that my hall has which had books published by the society from the early 1900's. My mom decided to join me in the library which is in the basement while the meeting went on and I was able to show her how the society had told people that the end would come in 1914,1975 etc. Almost everyday since I have been telling her new things I am learning about the jw's through my research just to get her thinking. Anyways she suggested that the elders could meet with me and answer my questions. Based on their ability to answer my questions I could decide what I want to do. She said they were interested in meeting with me. Is this a trap? Im hoping that I could have this meeting with them with my mom present so that she could see that they can't give a satisfying answer to the questions I have. Would it be a good idea to meet with them?

• Gypsy Sam
    Gypsy Sam

Yikes, I missed your intro post, but welcome! Tread lightly. You sound young...I researched countless hours on my own online before I made a decision to fade. I live far from family so that option worked for me. You'll get lots of good advice on here. Wish you the best. Respect your mom and try to refrain from telling, but instead utilize the questioning method.

Carpe diem!

• Fernando
    Fernando

It almost always ends badly.

You have begun to see things they are not ready to.

And they are always right no matter how wrong they are.

At any rate if you really must...

Never meet with more than one elder (3 is always a Judging Committee, no matter what lies they tell you to trick you into attending).

Only meet with this elder if he agrees to your mom being present, and that the purpose is for you to ask questions, and for him to provide satisfying answers.

Never allow him to ask questions and put you on the back foot and on the defensive.

Keep asking him to clarify and prove from scripture.

• ruderedhead
    ruderedhead

I wouldn't meet with them just yet. Make sure you are well versed in the wt history, flip flops on doctrine, and doctrine that still makes no sense. You MUST be able to defend your position. Have you visited jwfacts yet? Great source. Read Ray Franz book CofC? Please be well prepared before you meet with them. Be able to go scripture to scripture with them, if that makes any sense to you, as they tend to cherry pick scripture for their benefit.

Having your Mom present MIGHT be a good way to open her eyes if you are well prepared, or it could backfire, depending on how hardcore she is, how much influence the elders have on her, and if she is already opening her mind to what you are showing her. Be careful! Sounds like your awakening is new, and yo need a few months to do your research, or you will be eaten alive.

• lambsbottom
    lambsbottom

Don't let fear stop you from getting your questions answered. However, we must be 'innocent as doves, cautious as serpents'. Don't answer or get into any discussions about how you FEEL about certain subjects. Just ask questions. Don't make statements. That may or may not get you into trouble.

• objectivetruth
    objectivetruth

I hope this helps..http://www.a2z.org/wtarchive/archive.htm

if you read the earliest watchtowers you will find that Russell believed that Jesus died for all mankind.. Not just for baptized jehovahs witnesses in good standing as the organization currently teaches.

http://jwfacts.com/watchtower/salvation-only-for-jehovahs-witnesses.php

Only you can decide what to do with your spirituality, but I'll mention a few of my Opinions.

1. It depends on your ebody of elders, but most likely your mom would not be able to accompany you, if you are a baptized Adult.

2. If you can keep your cool, and take th. Information that you receive humbly you might be safe.

3. If you were to express any doubts after the discussion, you could face being disfellowshipped as an apostate.

If you let the Bible be your guide, and you leT Gods Holy Spirit guide you, everything will be very clear.

• winnie12
    winnie12

Hey thanks for your replies. I agree with what you both said that I should only have one elder present and my mom there. I'm not a minor, I'm actually 22 but we are really close. I just feel like this meeting will benefit her more than me . I already know what the elders will tell me in regards to changed doctrine and false predictions. But I want my mom to hear for herself what a sham this religion is.

• winnie12
    winnie12

And I like what was said about being prepared. I've been reading Franz's CoC and am enjoying it a lot. I'm on jw-facts daily and making notes. I will have to thoroughly prepare myself but also control my emotions so as not to give any impression that would cause suspicion. I'm going to really have to control myself. Thanks for all your replies I really appreciate tge advice you've all given!

• Ding
    Ding

If your mother won't attend with you or if the elder/elders won't allow it, don't meet with them.

Even if they do allow her to attend, you might well get disfellowshipped for reading "apostate literature".

Even the Society's "old light" can be termed apostate literature.

How would your mother react if the elders reprove you or DF you for this type of "independent thining"?

Would it turn her against the organization or against you?

Do you know for sure how she would react?

What does she say to the things you have shown her?

I'm concerned that your mother doesn't seem to be looking at what you are showing her, that she doesn't seem to have any questions of her own, that she's only telling you to go to the elders to get YOUR questions answered... like YOU are the one with the problem...

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Hi winnie12, When in doubt it is better to ask questions than to provide answers. Let the elders do all the work, but phrase your questions with what did Jesus Christ say or do. Be prepared to have some rebuttel questions, because JWs like to take scriptures out of context or add their own WTBTS thought-stopping platitude when they start to feel cognitive dissonnance.

If you need help in disguising questions for JWs, read exJW Psychology 102--How to Ask a Question When Questions Aren't Allowed by Billy the Ex-Bethelite.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit