Re: Use of revised New World Translation

by pixel 34 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• JWOP
    JWOP

Because the Bibles are more expensive to print than the other literature, ergo they really don't want to have to print any more than is necessary.

Yup, that's right: The organization that promotes Bible readings is telling their membership to NOT offer Bibles on their tables all for the almighty dollar!

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

So this is a subtle way to say "OFFER THE NEW BIBLE, BUT DON'T OFFER THE NEW BIBLE UNLESS IT'S PAID FOR."

If anyone here from JWN sees the cart or table and are able to approach as an unknown person, give a fake story and say you really need a Bible.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

your appreciation of this superb translation has no doubt become greatly enhanced.

Oh, how yukky!

we may leave him two maga- zines, a brochure, a book, or other literature that we are offering.

Give out the propaganda rather than 'god's word'.......it's cheaper...god has a budget you know! Note the weazle word 'may'!

using a table or a cart, publishers should not display Bibles.

...told ya, god has a budget....or is it that the WBT$ values their own propaganda over the alleged 'word of god'?

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

SUPERB?!?!

How can it be superb when it reads more like "false religious" bibles than ever before?!?!?? The greatest bible ever printed has just now caught up to "Christendom's" bibles... If the RNWT is better than the NWT, what does that tell us?

DD

• DeWandelaar
    DeWandelaar

Well... it does not matter which bible you use... it stays bullshit but with a different color

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

Is there any edition or printing of the 2013 revision of the NWT which includes numerous extensive footnotes containing alternate readings and renderings, like that found in the 1984 "With References" Large Print edition, the 1971 Large Print edition (which was a revision of the 1970 edition), and the 1950-1960 Large Print edition (which with slight modifications, and the use of the 1951 NT revision in place of the 1950 NT translation, was compiled to make the 1963 "Jumbo" edition)? I notice the online 2013 Study Edition of the NWT does not have such extensive footnotes (though it does have some study helps), though the 1984 "With References" edition (including the extensive footnotes) is available for reading online.

In a number of respects the 2013 "silver sword" regular edition appears to be a better edition (due mainly to improved readability) than the 1984 regular edition. Though the 2013 edition is less literal in the way it renders the words soul, Sheol, Hades, and Gehenna, at least it includes the literal literal wordings in footnotes. I have refrained from obtaining a copy of the 2013 NWT edition (since I decided not to obtain any WT literature copyright later than 2010), but I am now thinking of obtaining the 2013 NWT edition.

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

For an additional thought of mine about the 2013 NWT see my post at https://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/5659859239305216/why-did-lloyd-evans-say-one-his-latest-video?page=3#/6030286377713664 . I am however disappointed to read that the 2013 NWT does not contain John 8:1-11 at all. I will be keeping my 1984 leather NWT and my 1984 Reference edition of the NWT.

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

Besides the exclusion of John 8:1-11 there are some other changes incorporated in the 2013 NWT which I dislike, but at the moment my impression is that overall the translation is an improvement.

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

My post here (off-site) has some of the things I have found in the revised NWT. (Not all the changes were bad, by the way.) And here was another thread where the revised NWT was the topic of concern (also off-site).

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

Today I read the https://www.jw.org/en/library/magazines/w20151215/nwt-bible-2013/ web page called "The 2013 Revision of the New World Translation" and I am very impressed with what it says! The types of changes mentioned are ones which the NIV and NSRV Bibles (and some other modern translations of the Bible) already include, such as having "Proverbs, Song of Solomon, and many chapters of the prophetic book" in prophetic format. Also consider the following (from the above mentioned web page) which says how a translation of a portion of the text of the Dead Sea scrolls (which agreed with the Greek Septuagint) was incorporated in the new edition of the NWT.

'For example, at 2 Samuel 13:21, the Greek Septuagint contains the equivalent of the words: “But he would not hurt the feelings of Amnon his son, because he loved him, for he was his firstborn.” Earlier versions of the New World Translation did not include these words because they are not in the Masoretic text. However, the Dead Sea Scrolls do contain these words, which are now included in the 2013 revision.'

For more than 10 years I have refused to obtain any WT book that is copyright after the year 2006 (since I stopped considering myself a JW in the year 2007), but now as a result of reading the above web page I have decided to obtain a copy of the 2013 Edition of the NWT. I am also reading more of the online Study Edition of the NWT. I like the reading style and new features (such as summaries and footnotes) of the 2013 and Study editions of the NWT.

I am no longer concerned about the 2013 NWT's exclusion of the exclusion of John 8:1-11 and other textually weakly supported passages of the Bible. After all, I can still read them in my copies of the pre-2013 editions of the NWT, and furthermore I rarely those passages anyway.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit