Buyer was Jehovah's Witness

by ballistic 16 Replies latest jw friends

• ballistic
    ballistic

Had a strange thing happen the other day. Someone from eBay came round to collect. They had to come onto the house a spend some considerable time chating. Whats more, they came back round for some more, and in between times I also was spotted by them in the Supermarket.

All this time, I didn't know they were witnesses because there are about 5 congregations round here, and anyway, those exjw on this site that know me, know I've been out for donkey's years.

So, I was out in the front garden, and they appear at my neighbours door, with the Watchtower, and when I waved, they said, "no just number 12" meaning they weren't going to call on me, but I said, "are you the guy who bought my animals?" and he said yes, they came over to say how the pets were doing, and I told them my relatives are witnesses. (I always say this as I don't believe in telling people my status in the org)

Two interesting things came from this - I knew there was something familiar about this couple when I met them even though I had never seen them before.

Secondly, they must have realised not to call on me as they weren't going to knock the door (but do they even still have do not call lists anymore? I thouught that all stopped?

OR... they weren't going to mix religion with somewhere they had bought something, maybe?

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

"Just number 12" would mean that you weren't on the Not At Home list that they were working.

• steve2
    steve2

Perhaps you are "over-thinking" what's going on. The fact they came over and chatted about the animals suggests they do not know you are an ex-JW. And, yes, sometimes if Witnesses have met someone in an earlier context involving commerce or business it is harder to "make the transition" - as it were - to preaching to them.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Oops, now that I think about it, it could just mean that #12 was a return visit.

• ballistic
    ballistic

Actually, yes, It could have been a "NOT AT HOME". And Steve2 I am bound to over-think it, that's what my brain does, analyse every possible outcome of every situation! ;)

I would be intrerested if anyone else felt that they "knew" of were familiar with witnesses they never actually knew - some strange connectin, even though your outlook on life may now be polar opposites. There's a lot of water under the bridge as they say.

• a watcher
    a watcher

ballistic, do not call lists still exist altho some elders resist putting people on them.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Just a point you raised Ballistic, do JW's operate a Do Not Call List still ?

Could someone still in confirm ? I use this as part of my Anti-witnessing, urging members of the Public to go on the List.

I hope they still operate it.

I am obviously on something , (crack cocaine usually LOL), they came a knocking in my 'hood the other day, but left me out, thank Gawd.

First time I have seen them for well over a year, they were round every three months when I left, tells you something.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

The list is still used, but with a lot of resistance, as a watcher indicated. I have personally been asked by a householder to be put on the list, only to be told when back in the car that I shouldn't do it. Basically if they're not an apostate or an ax-wielding murderer, we don't put them on DNC -- even if they call the police on us.

Also, the perennial problem for some congregations is that the DNC house numbers are somewhere that people forget to look, so they go to those doors anyway.

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

The DNC list is still used and I've never heard of any instruction, explicit or implicit, that we should not put them down here in the UK. There is a clear procedure for the recording of DNCs and what should be done about checking periodically that the status of the house and it's occupants remain the same. I am pretty sure it's in the Organised book and has probably been in the KM at some point over the relatively recent past as well.

It's usual for the brother conducting the FS meeting to say which houses are DNC. The reality is that we rarely get more than 1 or 2 at most on a map.

Of course, I have only done about 4 hours in the past 6 months so what the hell do I care...

[EDIT] - by "periodically" I think it's at least once every 18-24 months...

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I am glad it still officially is in use, if I can get enough members of the Public to go on it, the Witlesses are going to have to spend more time in Starbucks. Good.

I do remember it working something like Apog says above when I was still in, we were supposed to have a list in with each Territory map, but it used to go missing. Also the Elders were supposed to check every year that the HH still wanted to be on it.

That never happened.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit