Why would Adam or Eve choose the tree of knowledge instead of the tree of life.

by smiddy 37 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Now, you want to talk about which is more 'plausible', in a story with talking snakes and magic fruit that bestows wisdom, and another gives life?

There's a difference between internal consistency and realism. I would at least expect the story to have made sense to the person telling it. However, I have seen those theories before about the two trees being one originally, and the story being garbled over time, so I admit that the final version that was preserved in writing could in fact be missing some of the original intent.

We're into eisegesis land then, by adding elements to the story which aren't explicitly stated in the original.

I didn't add anything to the story. We're just reading the same words differently.

Most of the articles I've read on the original intent reflect the fruit of the tree of life isn't meant to be anything more complicated than giving the eater continued life (eternal life is implied, by God's statement that he'd have to tolerate mankind)

What statement do you mean? All I see in the account is that God wanted to stop man from eating the fruit, so he removed him from the Garden. I read the Jewish Encyc. article, but it does not explain its assertion that one eaten fruit meant immortal life. Being that it's from 1908 A.D. and not 1908 B.C., it doesn't hold a lot of weight with me just because it has the word "Jewish" in the title.

Apo said- Why would they never have eaten from the tree of life if it was not forbidden to do so? And what purpose was it there for? Was God holding it in reserve until they were faithful a certain amount of time? I feel that a lack of explanation of these details indicates that the average listener in olden times was meant to assume that it was in fact a regular part of Adam and Eve's diet.

Well, if you watched the video in my post on pg 1, they offer some possibilities.

I saw no possibilities suggested in that video. They showed the tree of life for all of 2 seconds. Could it be that you are just arguing for the sake of arguing? I'm not claiming any special knowledge in what the Bible really means to say, but I am encouraging people to read the passage just a bit differently in order to explain what people think is a plot hole. The wording is sufficiently vague in Gen. 3:22 that it could be referring to Adam and Eve eating the fruit once, or continuing to eat it as they had been doing.

• Syme
    Syme

The Adam & Eve myth is a beautiful myth, full of deep meanings, only if someone sees it just as it is; a myth. If one sees it as a ...historical account, they miss all the important aspects.

Of course they would choose the tree of knowledge above all. It is the same with the Greek myth of Prometheus. Knowledge was the forbidden fruit in his case also. The very case of early mankind is engulfed in those myths. Knowledge of nature, taming of nature's forces, self-awareness, were the unexpected gifts that natural selection gave to Homo sapiens. However, the ultimate gift of self-awareness ("they knew they were naked", says Genesis) came with a dreadful price: the awareness of death. All life forms die, but only Homo sapiens, with the evolved gift of self-awareness, is aware of the eventuality and certainty of his own death. That was the 'punishment' that God gave to Adam & Eve.

Man, far away from his primate past (a time of blissful ignorance), came with the knowledge of his self and his mortality. This enabled him to reach unprecedent intellectual heights, enabled him to conquer the earth, but cursed him with carrying the 'original sin': the awareness of his mortality.

• SuperBoy
  • Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

Smiddy: Wouldnt it make more sense to forbid the eating of the tree of life first? He says: "you can eat from every tree in the garden to satisfaction," that includes the tree of life. But he says the only restriction is eating the tree of knowledge of good and bad??

No, it would not make more sense, actually. Remember, Adam and Eve were already immortal. The tree of the knowledge of good and evil was forbidden because it made man wise, which is one of the primary attributes of God. My belief is that God intended for Adam and Eve to fall, but it had to be their decision. In the primordial first council, spoken about in many non-canoncial writings as well as the Bible, it's clear that the Father knew our first parents would sin. (He knows all, sees all, right? It wouldn't speak well for him if the fall of man caught him off guard.) But even though man was immortal, he had no glory, no understanding. He was not like Christ. So, to coin a phrase, it became a situation where man had to fall, but not make it look as though God pushed him.

Coming from our first estate to the earth was a risky proposition for us. God, being Just, could not force a terrestrial life on us without first procuring our agreement beforehand. Those who followed Satan in his rebellion were defeated by Michael and swept down to the earth, and, as John saw in the book of Revelation, bringing one third of the host of heaven with him.

The Plan formulated in the Beginning was designed to exalt man through the atonement of Christ; in short, God was to condescend to man's level to raise man to God's level, a process known as theosis in which man can, in the words of Peter, become partakers of [the] divine nature." (1 Peter 1:4) Adam and Eve were incapable of doing this in their immortal state. But by falling and being redeemed, Adam and his children are eligible to receiving free upgrades -- not remain garden dwellers, but to become beings of great power and glory ("a little below the gods," as the psalmist puts it.) And as Athanasius of Alexandria puts it, theosis is "becoming by grace what God is by nature" (De Incarnatione, I).

So the atonement did not just restore man to what he was before the fall, it was, as I noted, eligibility to receive a significant and yes, planned, upgrade. As the apostle John states: "Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is." (1 John 3:2:)

Adam and Eve had the chance, opportunity, choice, to eat of the tree of life, but they failed to do so. Were they perfect? were they stupid?

If Adam and Eve had put their hands forth to partake of the tree of life, they would have immediately lost what they had just gained. They would have reverted to being immortal beings with no glory and no potential. Only through Christ could they become like Christ. “Dusty, dark, cold, and hard, coal has no beauty of its own,” wrote Frederica Mathewes-Green, “but when it is consummated by fire it is beautiful and becomes what it was designed to be.” (Source) In a real sense, Adam and Eve were born as clumps of coal, but through Christ they have the potential to become diamonds.

• Fernando
    Fernando

I have come to conclude that the two trees represent religion versus the gospel, and the battle between them for the hearts and minds of men.

• objectivetruth
    objectivetruth

Good & Evil may be a Merism. The Tree of knowledge of good & evil, would be the tree of Knowledge of everything.

Man was put on earth, and he was to have Dominion over the Earth.. To have Knowledge of everything goes far beyond Earth, and it shows a haughty spirit, to desire knowledge of things that do not concern you.

Satan may not have known about the Tree of Life, if he knew about it he could have eaten of it as well and Gained Imortality?

There is an Interesting passage in the Book of Enoch.

"And the fourth was named Pênêmûe: he taught the children of men the bitter and the sweet, and he taught them all the secrets of their wisdom. And he instructed mankind in writing with ink and paper, and thereby many sinned from eternity to 10 eternity and until this day. For men were not created for such a purpose, to give confirmation 11 to their good faith with pen and ink. For men were created exactly like the angels, to the intent that they should continue pure and righteous, and death, which destroys everything, could not have taken hold of them, but through this their knowledge they are perishing, and through this power 12 it is consuming me."

It's impossible to know now if the "Tree" was an actual Tree, or if it were some sort of Sacred Book, containing all of the Mysteries of The Universe.

• sarahsmile
    sarahsmile

Tree of life it had healing in it! They could have received their curses then went to the tree of life for some ever lasting healing fruit. Darn them! So much for extra knowledge. God gave them more brains and they did not even try to out smart him! Well that is what happens when they depended on a serpent to do their thinking!

You will postively will die! No we wont crunch,chew,crunch,chew! MMM, Tree of life is good food!

• adamah
    adamah

Apo said- There's a difference between internal consistency and realism. I would at least expect the story to have made sense to the person telling it.

I guess you've never dealt with anyone who was contradictory, or read a book where the author unintentionally introduced continuity errors into their story?

Apo said- However, I have seen those theories before about the two trees being one originally, and the story being garbled over time, so I admit that the final version that was preserved in writing could in fact be missing some of the original intent.

Sure, but not only that, there's no way to be certain you have an accurate understanding of the meaning the story had within it's original cultural context, besides spend ALOT of time learning of the history of the beliefs of the original listeners. And even there, since we're talking of beliefs in the ancient world, good luck NOT dragging a ton of your modern ways of thinking along with you (eg you and I know shadows are without consciousness, but Egyptians believed they were a partial visible manifestation of someone's soul with legends involving those who 'lost' their shadows, etc; the same could be said of the Earth (adamah), which ancient Hebrews conceived of as animate, quite differently than modern people do).

Scholars have spent their entire careers studying the subject of ancient thinking (eg RB Orion's classic work, the 'Origins of European Thought', where he examines context and use of words found in ancient literature (Greek, Hebrew, Latin, etc) to try and untangle the mystery of how ancient people they viewed their World). Fascinating stuff....

So when you say this:

Adam said- We're into eisegesis land then, by adding elements to the story which aren't explicitly stated in the original.

Apo said- I didn't add anything to the story. We're just reading the same words differently.

How do you KNOW the translation is accurate, that the concept itself can be translated to convey the author's way of seeing the World? You're talking interpretation, but what basis do you have to justify it?

The challenge is way-more difficult than many people suspect, and many are quibbling over the meanings of words that were inserted by later translators who often discarded the original words and hence lost the meaning along the way.

Heck, the JWs did it INTENTIONALLY with the story of A&E, trying to suppress evidence of 'Eve's quest for wisdom' to remove it from the account:

http://awgue.weebly.com/the-paradox-of-adam-and-eve-and-how-the-new-world-translation-fruitlessly-attempts-to-keep-it-hidden.html

The practice of 'updating' the Bible is rampant, where changing the meaning of a single word can dramatically alter the meaning of the entire story to bury the skeletons....

Most of the articles I've read on the original intent reflect the fruit of the tree of life isn't meant to be anything more complicated than giving the eater continued life (eternal life is implied, by God's statement that he'd have to tolerate mankind)

Apo said- What statement do you mean? All I see in the account is that God wanted to stop man from eating the fruit, so he removed him from the Garden. I read the Jewish Encyc. article, but it does not explain its assertion that one eaten fruit meant immortal life. Being that it's from 1908 A.D. and not 1908 B.C., it doesn't hold a lot of weight with me just because it has the word "Jewish" in the title.

No, but rabbinical scholars have a better-chance of knowing the history of the thinking of their forefathers, rather than Xian theologians (who are more-likely to have a tendency to insert their theology into the OT). I have no problems with using Xian sources when looking at NT (as the ones who should know their own story), but their interpretations mean less when they insert theology into the OT to support THEIR NT beliefs. In fact, rabbis are better able to explain their criticisms of Xian beliefs than a Xian could, since Xianity is based on Judaism. It's always good to check BOTH sides, in fact.

Apo said- Why would they never have eaten from the tree of life if it was not forbidden to do so? And what purpose was it there for? Was God holding it in reserve until they were faithful a certain amount of time? I feel that a lack of explanation of these details indicates that the average listener in olden times was meant to assume that it was in fact a regular part of Adam and Eve's diet.

Well, if you watched the video in my post on pg 1, they offer some possibilities.

Apo said- I saw no possibilities suggested in that video. They showed the tree of life for all of 2 seconds. Could it be that you are just arguing for the sake of arguing? I'm not claiming any special knowledge in what the Bible really means to say, but I am encouraging people to read the passage just a bit differently in order to explain what people think is a plot hole. The wording is sufficiently vague in Gen. 3:22 that it could be referring to Adam and Eve eating the fruit once, or continuing to eat it as they had been doing.

Sure, but it's speculative, either way, unless you can back the interpretation with some supportive evidence. We might as well quibble over how many angels can sit on heads of pins, since the Bible doesn't say that, either.

Cold Steel said- My belief is that God intended for Adam and Eve to fall, but it had to be their decision. In the primordial first council, spoken about in many non-canoncial writings as well as the Bible, it's clear that the Father knew our first parents would sin. (He knows all, sees all, right? It wouldn't speak well for him if the fall of man caught him off guard.) But even though man was immortal, he had no glory, no understanding. He was not like Christ. So, to coin a phrase, it became a situation where man had to fall, but not make it look as though God pushed him.

That sounds ALOT like a Divine Set-up, some crime that was staged to appear as an accident?

And God created this entire elaborate scenario, WHY, exactly? Nothing better to do to kill an eternity in Heaven than kill some humans on Earth?

You might want to read the link above (if you already haven't), discussing the paradox of Adam and Eve since the story creates a paradox by implies God created the first pair as 'perfect' fools; so getting them to disobey was as easy as stealing candy from a baby (and actually harmonizes with your 'staged' crime interpretaion above).

OT said- Good & Evil may be a Merism. The Tree of knowledge of good & evil, would be the tree of Knowledge of everything.

Yup, merisms are literary-devices that commonly appear in the OT, since it was a favorite of the Yahwist (along with use of puns, etc).

The use of merisms typically conveys a sense of the totality of the spectrum, and NOT just the extreme endpoints. But unlike the modern view of knowledge, the TOKOGAE offered MORAL knowledge, AKA a sense of morality. The fruit is explicitly stated to bestow WISDOM, and not just intelligence (facts, figures, etc). In contrast, the story of Prometheus relies on his stealing fire from Zeus and giving it to mortals, where 'fire' was a commonly-used symbol of knowledge and advancement.

So when the amoral Eve coveted God's wisdom, she simply took it!

OT said- Satan may not have known about the Tree of Life, if he knew about it he could have eaten of it as well and Gained Imortality?

As I explain in the article on the paradox of Adam and Eve (linked above), it's no accident the serpent just happened to be hanging out in the morality-granting tree, since serpents were considered to already possess the secret of immortality (and Satan is immortal).

BTW, it's interesting to consider that Jesus advised his disciples to be cautious like serpents, like the serpent in the Garden. If Satan were the Devil, they why would Jesus advise his followers emulating the methods used by Satan to mislead Adam and Eve? Was he giving them permission to deceive others?

Adam

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit