Why would Adam or Eve choose the tree of knowledge instead of the tree of life.

by smiddy 37 Replies latest watchtower bible

• smiddy
    smiddy

Please help me out here .

In Genesis 2:16 it says " And jehovah God also laid this command upon the man: From every tree of the garden you may eat to satisfaction. 17 But as for the tree of the knowledge of good and bad you must not eat from it , for in the day you eat from it ,you will positively die.

OK we get that , but what about this ?

????? Wouldnt it make more sense to forbid the eating of the tree of life first ? He says" you can eat from every tree in the garden to satisfaction" that includes the tree of life. But he says the only restriction is eating the tree of knowledge of good and bad.??

So Adam and Eve had the chance , opportunity , choice , to eat of the tree of life , but they failed to do so. Were they perfect ? were they stupid ?

They obviously knew which trees jehovah was talking about , it wasnt just a random accidental stumbling upon this tree.

The only tree jehovah put a restriction on was the "tree of knowledge of good and bad " Not "The tree of life " ????

Do you see problems here ? or is it just me .

smiddy

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

It was Eve who chose the tree of knowledge; she was a woman and we are just that nosey.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Do you see problems here ? or is it just me .

No, Smiddy, I always did have a problem with this.

When I started going to the baptist church I decided it was just an allegorical story that was written down for some reason.

I now believe the Bible is just a load of manuscripts written by men, bunged together as a book by men.................so won't make sense. No inspiration, no god, no nothing.

That's why it makes no sense..........because it's just a crazy story.

That's what I think and as such is only important to myself. Everyone is free to believe what they want.

• SuperBoy
    SuperBoy

Once they ate from the tree of knowledge of good and bad, they had the knowledge that the tree of life was just made up nonsense.

• prologos
    prologos

Of course, it is just an ill-conceived story, but we are critiquing Chauser too, right? so:

Adam & Eve were created perfect, just like the animals, (all was VERY good).

Like the rest of ALL creation A & E had a lifespan to enjoy. They died a natural death.

The tree of life was REGULAR diet. (like the constant, regular 12 crops of the life-trees in revelation)

The bible/wt god is an 'indian giver', he giveth and he taketh away via the twirling sword.

He fears competition (smarter humans), co-operating 'reaching - for the - heavens' builders,

he interferes with them.

• bohm
    bohm

The story is from the yahewist source of the bible, ie. the legendary part. It is based on legends with a different concept of yahweh.

One explanation is this: The "knowledge" in question is knowledge of sex. Yahweh made a garden for himself to walk in, but he didnt like to do the work himself so he made a man to see to it. He didnt intend man to procreate, so he told him a lie about the tree of knowledge namely that he would die if he ate from it.

Lo and behold, the snake character revealed yahwehs lie and so adam and eve gained knowledge of sex. Yahweh could not have that so he got mad and chased them out of the garden.

The basic gist of the story, a man living an easy life in harmony with nature untill he discovers sex, was a popular legendary element in the region at the time this was compiled.

The idea man was perfect is a later theological addition and is not in the story.

• DeWandelaar
    DeWandelaar

Most funny thing is that the "tree" story originated from babylon and was later on added by the Jews. So where everyone seems to believe it was the babylonians taking the flood/tree/women/serpent account it was actually the other way around (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilgamesh_epic).

Together with all kind of goofy crap that went into the bible (the golden Calf (El worshippers)), Asherah and the Copper Serpent it is actually a very good fantasy book!

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

gets even more stupid as the years pass by

• inbetween
    inbetween

to the OP:

I always wondered that myself, and one time a quite knowledgable return visit brought the idea, that it was part of Gods concept, that they regularly had to eat from the tree of life, otherwise they would die.

This kind of made sense, so I checked the library, and found an article (QFR I guess), which refuted the idea, without really giving a good reason.

Back then, still fully in, it puzzled me though, and I put it, as many other problems, just in the back of my mind.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

Dude, a talking snake told her to eat it. That's the part I always had trouble with, that she didn't say, omg a talking snake!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit