Are Jehovah's Witnesses Scottish?

by RottenRiley 18 Replies latest social humour

• RottenRiley
    RottenRiley

My experience with JWs, often they were very frugal and cheap, willing to use my car in Field Circus every weekend. Why are Jehovah's Witnesses so dense and obtuse when it comes to sharing costs and contributing? Has the topic of District Convention 'tight-ass cheap-skating' Jehovah's Witnesses been talked about? A Nightmare is trying to get JWs to pony up their fair share of a dinner ticket when the waitresses forget to split up the bills. I am Scottish and learned how to break the mold of stretching a penny, it feels good to share and donate (Not to the Borg so they can pay for Pedo and Chicken Hawk Litigation) to decent charities.

Why is it that Circuit Overseers and Bethelites love to order the most expensive items on the menu, doubt they would ever order these on their dime!

"Jock was traveling by train seated next to a stern-faced clergyman. As Jock pulled out a bottle of whisky from his pocket the clergyman glared and said reprovingly, "Look here, I am sixty-five and I have never tasted whisky in my life!"
    "Dinna worry, Minister," smiled Jock, pouring himself a dram. "There's no risk of you starting now!"

"Jock & Jimmy were walking along a street in London. Jock looked in one of the shop windows and saw a sign that caught his eye.
    The sign read, "Suits £5.00 each, Shirts £2.00 each, trousers £2.50 per pair".
    Jock said to his pal, "Look at the prices! We could buy a whole lot of these and when we get back to Scotland we could make a fortune. Now when we go in you stay quiet, okay? Let me do all the talking cause if they hear our accents, they might think we are cheap Scotsmen and try to screw us. I'll put on my best London accent".
    "OK Jock, I'll keep me mouth shut" said Jimmy
    They go in and Jock said in a posh voice, "Hello my good man. I'll take 50 suits at £5.00 each, 100 shirts at £2.00 each, and 50 pairs of trousers at £2.50 each. I'll back up me truck ready to load them on, old chap!
    The owner of the shop said quietly, "You're from Scotland, aren't you?"
    "Well yes," said a surprised Jock. "What gave it away?"
    The owner replied, "This is a dry-cleaners........" .

"

One day Jock bought a bottle of fine whiskey and while walking home he fell.

Getting up he felt something wet on his pants.

He looked up at the sky and said,"Oh lord please I beg you let it be blood!"

http://www.scotlandvacations.com/scottishhumour.htm

• Viviane
    Viviane

Was that supposed to be funny?

• RottenRiley
    RottenRiley

Yes, I think it was very funny because as a Scottish man, I can get away with calling us cheap. We earned our reputation the honest way, we earned it!

Yes, many Jehovah's Witnesses are very cheap, ask around and you might see if you are willing to look.

• wizzstick
    wizzstick

Well I'm British and I have to admit all Scots I've met have been very generous!

But, to RottenRiley's point, yes many JW's are very tight. They don't offer money for petrol. I was at a stag do in a restuarant and a whole bunch of the guys legged it before the bill came round meaning others have to pay.

Where does it come from? The fact that many are in low paying jobs? The lack of geniune love and concern amongst many JW's?

Come down to 'by their fruits you with know them' I guess...

• RottenRiley
    RottenRiley

Wiz, that's the key thing I was looking for, when it comes to Petro and that gauge is deep in the Red, when we pull in to the Station, the cargroup stares in to space, plays with their car-keys, gets out and grabs a cup of coffee (they don't offer to buy the driver a cup) and other things but avoid eye contact until the driver has paid for the gas. The cheap Jehovah's Witness than say a prayer "Dear Jehovah, thank you for filling up this petro tank and helping us remain invisible.

I did a search, this is a common experience on JWN I learned we are not the only ones they skate off!

• galaxie
    galaxie

Och dinna mak ma bluud bile ya eedjit.

• besty
    besty

you're scottish as much as I'm english - pull the other one RottenRiley...

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

I didn't realise I'd entered a time machine back to 1970's Saturday night light entertainment but the point re JW tightness is true.

I am sure this has been discussed on the board before but I think all of us that are or have been "in" know the problems you have getting people to share petrol expense or, even worse, settling a bill at a group meal. The latter drove me so mad that I never do it anymore - have to sub other people who deliberately fail to pay is not my idea of a fun night out.

I have eaten out with lots of Witnesses and non-Witnesses and can honestly say I've never had the problems settling bills as I have had with Witnesses. I can't understand why it is such an endemic problem world wide. Is it just ignorance through not having wide social experience?

• flipper
    flipper

" Are Jehovah's Witnesses Scottish ? " No. Jehovah's Witnesses are insane- big difference. They come in many different shapes, size, and races

• jgnat
    jgnat

Two Scots invented copper wire. They were fighting over a penny.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit