Peace In The Middle East - It's a comin'

by scotoma 25 Replies latest jw friends

• scotoma
    scotoma

From the UN NEWS CENTRE (with breaking news from the UN News Service)

UN officials hope observance of International Year will lead to Israeli-Palestinian peace

16 January 2014 – The United Nations today launched the International Year of Solidarity with the Palestinian People, with senior officials urging that the observance be used to redouble efforts to achieve a durable peace between Israel and Palestine.

“The coming year will be crucial to achieving the two-State solution,” Deputy Secretary-General Jan Eliasson said in his remarks to the UN General Assembly’s Committee on the Exercise of the Inalienable Rights of the Palestinian People.

Mr. Eliasson said Israeli and Palestinian negotiators are working hard towards a peaceful, comprehensive settlement of all permanent status issues. That means a settlement that ends the occupation that started in 1967 and which would end the conflict.

It also means securing an independent, viable and sovereign State of Palestine living alongside a secure State of Israel, where each side recognizes the other’s legitimate rights, he added.

“The Secretary-General and I urge all in the international community to work together to translate the solidarity and desire for peace expressed on this occasion into positive action for security and for justice.”

Last November, the General Assembly adopted a resolution proclaiming 2014 as the International Year of Solidarity with the Palestinian People, and requested the Committee to organize activities around the observance.

General Assembly President John Ashe told today’s meeting that he hoped the Year leads to “robust” support for the people of Palestine. “I am sure I speak for many when I say that I hope the Year helps foster an atmosphere of dialogue and mutual understanding between the two sides of this decades-long conflict,” he said.

“We live in an international context that requires cooperation among all parties, entities and beings to find solutions to the challenges facing the human family. There are no exceptions; Israel and Palestine must find agreement on the conditions in which they can live side by side in peace and security.”

UN officials, including Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon, have noted that 2014 could be a an important year in the Middle East peace process, if both sides are willing to take bold steps and refrain from actions that undermine progress in the peace talks that resumed last year.

“Now is the time for vision, compromise and deepening of respect. Let us make this year – 2014 – the decisive year for achieving peace between Israel and Palestine,” said Mr. Ashe. “I implore all those who have a stake in this outcome – Governments, international organizations, and people everywhere – to do their part.”

• designs
    designs

The outcome (Peace) will be enjoyable, especially for the younger generations. There are huge monied interests in Conflict. Those who make money off of the war machine will not let this happen easily.

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

It gotta be a sign of how close the big "A" is right?

Just saying!

eyeuse2badub

• Faithful Witness
    Faithful Witness

"Peace and Security!"

• fahrvegnugen
    fahrvegnugen

...then construction shall be instantly upon them?

• scotoma
    scotoma

It's obvious that this forum doesn't give a rats ass about a Israeli-Palestinian peace agreement.

Perhaps I should have phrased the Title: "2014 YEAR OF SOLIDARITY WITH PALESTINIAN PEOPLE" Is this a step toward Peace and Security?

• smiddy
    smiddy

Palestinians , Israelis , Arabs , Jews , Sunnis , shiites , with their multiple factions have been at war with each other for centuries , and they will be at war with each other for centuries to come.

What the people of the world fail to realise or accept is the fact that thes people in this area have an intense hatred for one another and will never sue for peace under any circumstances .

The UN is a paper tiger , they may have high ideals , but no country big or small is going to sacrifice their sovereignty , ( whether real or perceived ) to another authourity such as the UN. Not in this century or the one to come.

I would love it to be otherwise , however I beleive I`m a realist .

smiddy

• mind blown
  • 88JM
    88JM

Very surprising to see the UN inviting Iran to the table for the Syria discussions, at least at this stage. Syria doesn't seem happy about it though.

• scotoma
    scotoma

Mind Blown,

The Ho-Hum attitude is based on the idea that the past equals the future.

What's wrong with that attitude? It's simply false. If you believe in emergence as the product of evolution you have to know that the past doesn't equal the future. We wouldn't be here if that were true. There IS a thread to history but it isn't based on perfect fidelity.

No event in itself is significant as an "event".

It's just like a royal flush in poker. In reality, a royal flush isn't rarer than any other hand. It's how it is perceived in the context of the game that gives it value.

Surely, the conflict between Israel and Palestine is minute compared to Pakistan and India but that is also why it is such a nuisance. The population of Israel and Palestine is about 1/1000 of the earths total population. It is at the intersection of three continents. It is at the center of the worlds oil production. It is a deeply religious area with holy places important to three great religions.

If these two small countries can't achieve peace it casts a shadow over the hope of peace for mankind.

If these two ancient enemies can come to an agreement it will be a cause for optimism that all countries ought to be able to settle their differences and achieve peace.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit