My sister's decision to ex-communicate me, just might rock the boat!

by Faithful Witness 14 Replies latest jw experiences

• Faithful Witness
    Faithful Witness

It was 11 days after I received the email from my sister, informing me that she is no longer going to communicate with me.

I was never a JW, so I don't fully comprehend this decision, nor do I understand the games JW's play.

I talked to my mom yesterday, and she (baptized within last year) is getting more and more fed up with the nonsense. She has been trying to get everyone to come together, and she is seeing more and more extreme behavior from my sister and her husband. My mom is blaming my brother in law, but my sister has clearly spoken up and said she is speaking for herself also. She is "protecting her children" from me. Or, I think it is just me... Still confused about how this game works.

The "good" news out of all this, is that my sister's decision to "no longer communicate" with me, is just another straw on the camel's back, as far as my mother is concerned. Before she ever got involved with the JW's, she made a statement about how they "divide families." It has officially happened now.

While talking to my mother, I did my best to explain to her that I have no problem with my sister or her decision to be a JW. I have loved her since she was born, and will continue to love her and be kind. I told my mom, "Sometimes you can boil things down to 2 choices: be kind, or be unkind. I will be kind, no matter how I am treated by her." I have been jumping through hoops, trying to make peace in this family, especially over the last year. No matter what I do, makes it worse. (paraphrasing what I told my mom). My mom said, "I agree with YOU! Somebody is being too hardheaded here." She is blaming my brother in law, of course.

I saw him recently, when we were both visiting my mom in the hospital. He avoided eye contact and would not speak to me. He did, however, speak to my children, and acted as if they were going to interact with him. He seemed surprised, when they were intimidated by him. Whenever I spoke to him, he looked at the floor, and like he wanted to jump right out of his skin. My niece (12) kept looking at me and smiling at me. It was 2 days later, when my sister informed me she was no longer communicating with me (I did not see my sister at the hospital, it was just my brother in law and niece).

So anyway, like I said before. I can take rejection. I forgive my sister's abnormal behavior. I know it's not actually HER, not her natural self, the one who has known me since her birth. I have never been anything but kind to her. My mom and my dad both can see this. My mom is pointing it out.

This "new" development, along with other comments recently made by my sister (about not being willing to even consider coming to the family homemade trade party), have caused my mom to get upset enough to actually question the JW's out loud to my father. "I told Dad... You know, it's things like THIS, that make you look at the Jehovah's Witnesses and think, I don't want anything to do with it!" She was in tears, talking to me about how hard it was when her children were divided. (I learned my peacemaking from her).

I feel pretty good about the conversation, which was actually a nice 40 minutes on the phone, with that little 10 minute drama about my sister, mixed in between other real life issues. I feel like I am starting to be reconnecting with my mom again, which is awesome. She's been like my best friend my whole life, until her recent immersion in the Watchtower bathtub.

I know she can easily slip right back into blowing bubbles... but it sure was nice to talk to my mom again, and to hear her say that she thought my sister was making the wrong decision. We might be going on a special diet together, so this will hopefully lead to even more communication between us.

• Magwitch
    Magwitch

It is all a game. I am disfellowshipped, but my elder father and pioneer mother communicate with me everyday. Your sister probably thinks Jehovah will give her great blessings for cutting you off.

• RunAsFastAsYouCan
    RunAsFastAsYouCan

You are not giving your sister the narcissistic props that you once did. She's devaluing you by the same degree that she once held you in esteem. (It's what narcissists do) She is moving on to find other people (suckers) to give her narcissistic supply.

• Faithful Witness
    Faithful Witness

If my mother even attempts to make a move or ask a question, this could get interesting.

She has a special relationship with my niece, so she probably knows better than to risk it.

• problemaddict
    problemaddict

FW,

I'm glad to ehar your mother seems to be subconciously remembering her original objection to the religion. I would say, if you have an opportunity to wake your mom up, even if you end up not being able to win back your sister for the moment, that you should take it.

Seriously.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

FW, It's weird they shun you since you were never a JW. Have they ever given a "reason" WHY they are shunning you?

Typical behavior of a high-control cult!

Sorry you're dealing with it, but it seems to be getting your mom to open her eyes to the insanity of this religion.

Oubliette

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Hi Faithful Witness, Considering how your mother feels about conditional love, do your parents have movie night? How about sending them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIDwXYACfmM

The movie is in Danish with English sub-titles. It is actually a very balanced portrail of life as a JW. You could ask her if the movie portrays how JWs act?

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• whathappened
    whathappened

I am sorry you have to go through this. Hope your mother fully wakes up.

You may help her by talking about the parable of the good Samaritan. You know the Jews were supposed to shun the Samaritans but Jesus used the Samaritan as an example of a good neighbor. The priest and the Levite didn't bother to help the man who was robbed and beaten, but it was the Samaritan that went above and beyond the call of duty. So who was the better person?

Also, the Samaritan woman was the first person Jesus identified himself to as the Messiah. Ask her to think about that.

JW's do not follow Jesus' example of not shunning anyone.

• Scully
    Scully

Has it occurred to you that your sister might be in a domestic abuse situation?

It sounds like your brother-in-law is taking things to extremes in isolating your sister from any family support outside of the JWs.

Normally what you'd see is ramped up attention toward the non-JW family members, (a) trying to bend over backward to demonstrate how "normal" they are, and (b) trying to lure non-JW family members in to the cult with love-bombing behaviour.

My suggestion would be to ask your sister to research the Watchtower Publications to show you whether her cutting ties with you is acceptable, or whether this is her husband attempting to isolate her from what might be her only real support network.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

I like what Scully said. Pressure her to justify her actions, but do it in a nice way.

Try something like, "Your actions confuse me. Can you show me why, as a Christian, you are cutting me off? What scriptures support this? What WT literature is your basis for these actions? Your my sister and I love you. Your actions are hurtful and painful. I want to understand and respect your religion and your decisions--IF I CAN--but frankly right now your actions make absolutely no sense. Please explain yourself and show me why from the Bible you think what your're doing to our family is the right thing to do."

In other words: Call her on her bullshit. JWs are not used to being called on their bullshit. That's why they do it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit