"Is my life now more meaningful, and am I happier?"

by Julia Orwell 26 Replies latest jw friends

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

So the question is posed in this week's WatchTower study at our former cult's houses of indoctrination.

I should like to answer it, and I should like to hear your answers too.

The question is in two parts, and I shall address each one in turn.

Q. Is my life more meaningful?

A. Yes. My life is more meaningful. I am free of the WT-induced guilt and fear, feelings which hindered any feeling of 'meaning' in life. If you live in fear, your meaning in life is just to survive. Just surviving or existing does not make you happy- just ask any refugee living near starvation in a stinking camp. But yes, now I am free of that fear and pressure, I find tremendous meaning in my improved relationship with my family, especially my beloved mother who suffered so much grief at my hands during the years I was a JW. My life has more meaning because instead of being in a sort of limbo waiting for Armageddon, I am moving on with my life. My husband and I have been approved for a home loan, and we have just put in an offer on a little house. We will not be like so many JWs in their 70's who still rent and are struggling on the pension.

Our little house, should our offer and finance be accepted, will give us meaning as we can make it our own by renovating it and know we can never be asked to leave it or have the payments increased. As a renter who has to get permission from the landlord to hang a picture, these are very meaningful perks. We shall also have some equity which can help us provide for ourselves when we can no longer work.

I am also finding meaning in my work. After years of working a WT approved 'job' that nearly paralysed my brain (but afforded me time to go to meetings) I am now pursuing my teaching career. I love working with teenagers, and am setting up my own tutoring/academic coaching business, as well as doing substitute teaching until I can work my way into a cozy school. I am also taking some online courses to help me improve in my subject knowledge. That and, I have set myself up as a bit of an artist and have already received commissions and sold prints. I have also taken a summer job at a water slide park, which I love immensely because I get to meet lots of happy people and families, and derive meaning from providing excellent service.

Q. Am I happier?

A. I am happier, and have medical evidence to prove it. I am on half the antidepressant medication I was as a JW, my anxiety disorder has disappeared, I no longer wake up screaming from nightmares every night (or taking valium to suppress them) and my physical welbeing is increasing.

I am infinitely happier that I can be myself with no-one judging me.

I am infinitely happier that I can use my time to develop meaning.

I am infinitely happier that I can believe what I find to be true through my historical research, and can talk about it freely to my friends and family.

My family tell me they've never seen me so happy. Without guilt and fear and sheer mental exhaustion, it is easy to find happiness in even simple things like sitting on the couch with the cat. I am no longer so exhausted from being torn apart by cognitive dissonnance and the mental gymnastics needed to reconcile it. That leaves me with more energy to devote to things from which I derive meaning, such as family, study, literature, knowledge, art and work.

I am open to explore, as my father used to tell me when I was younger when in frustration he would say, "Sheree, the world is your oyster. You are wasting your time with this mob." He always referred to the cult as "this mob" or "your mob". And he was right. I gave up opportunities to be a damn good teacher, writer, artist, musician, contracts administrator, intrepid traveller, and swapped it for a life of conformity and rigidity.

And although now my health is shot from the cult and my energetic 20's are now behind me, I am happy. Happy that I can be, happy that I can surround myself with love and meaning, and not live in that oppressive atmosphere that made me physically and mentally ill.

Thank you for reading.

• PaintedToeNail
    PaintedToeNail

Julia-I agree, my life is happier now. I too, no longer need as much anxiety medication and do not live in a state of constant fear. My depression has almost cleared, panic attacks have stopped, I'm not in stress-induced pain anymore...stress brought on by being told you haven't done enough, don't give enough and aren't good enough. I'm pursuing a new direction in life with a new business, which I love.

Congratulations to you and everyone else who has found meaning in their lives beyond the cult.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

I am over the moon for you that you are getting so much pleasure from your teaching career Sheree. Also I'm thrilled that you are becoming a home owner because you mentioned it on another thread that it was your heart's desire but you sounded sad as if it may never happen, but it has! Love your account here and so glad your health is improving because I've had depression and know what you have suffered. You are being so positive. Take care.

• designs
  • Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

Thanks guys! The JW religion likes people to be losers and miserable but hey, we are breaking free of that.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

ME TOO !!!!!

I realise that my "unexamined life", as philosophers like to call it, as a JW had no real meaning, being based upon lies and fictions I had been taught.

More surprising to me was, I now realise, I had never been truly happy, with a happiness that equals contentment and other lovely things, all the while I was a JW.

All those years I was not the real me, I am now. (So watch out !).

• jean-luc picard
    jean-luc picard

I'm very pleased for you. Enjoy.

• bohm
    bohm

Great post, i am very happy for you.

• man in black
    man in black

Sounds like your on the right track, good for you !

as a witness, I pretty much allways felt that I had a ball and chain around my neck, and doing most anything that I really enjoyed was out of reach.

But after leaving there is quite a bit of residual negative thoughts, and age is a growing concern.

But I still do many enjoyable things that I would get depressed about when I was a witness.

• label licker
    label licker

Congradulations on your new home and life:) As Ray Franz put it: although we were running from something, we are now running towards something. For us our freedom began when we ran from such a slavery of negative guilty feelings and now we are running towards what we knew we had all along and that is love. Something WBTS does not have. Christ really did free us from all of that so we could enjoy that freedom. It explains how desperate this religion is when they have to bother you at your home to try to recruit.

Love to hear all the positive journeys that everyone is on. Keep running towards what is good for you and your family!

LL

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit