Why say Jehovah anymore?

by Bang 70 Replies latest jw friends

• Bang
    Bang

The wtbts uses the word 'jehovah' to lord it over people. It's great that they picked on a made up name - it's a gift horse in the mouth for you to be so at liberty to drop it. (I love sayings, you know, a gift , horse / pride, and from their own mouth?).

Shouldn't an ex-dub wanting to separate themselves properly, also not use the name jehovah? In hebrew je is 'from' and hovah is 'mischief', or so I read - I don't speak hebrew, but it sounds about right, I never did like the sound of it - too stuffy and haughty, a good likening of their god though.

Love Him differently? Give Him a new name like He showed you. Saul to Paul etc. Call Him Yahweh, if indeed you need to give Him a name like that.

Can you really escape their influence if you can't draw the line? They hold it over you. They might as well be saying Ankar to me.

Bang

• Mulan
    Mulan

I do NOT say it.

Marilyn (aka Mulan)
    "No one can take advantage of you, without your permission." Ann Landers

• Amazing
    Amazing

There is no record of Jesus ever using the name Yahweh or Jehovah. Though Jesus spoke about God's name, example in John, Chapter 17, he made no issue of using the name. It stands to reason that the focus of Jesus teaching was on who God is, and not some word that defines God's personal name.

The name Jehovah means "the existing One" according to Strong's Concordance #03068 (Hebrew)

I do not use the English name Jehovah because it is associated with a false religious publishing corporation, the Watchtower Society, and not with the true God of the Bible.

If Jesus has been concerned with us pronouncing some literal personal name for the Father, he would have made sure to preach it far and wide, and tell everyone to pronounce it 'thus and so.' Instead, Jesus focused on faith, hope and love. The Apostle Paul said to the Hebrews that it was to the name of Jesus that every knew would bend in heaven and on earth ... for no other name has been given among humans except the name Jesus Christ.

In Christian theology, and religious group that tries to circumvent the name Jesus Christ with some other name, is anti-Christ, and not of God.

• Bang
    Bang
    The name Jehovah means "the existing One" according to Strong's Concordance #03068 (Hebrew)

Our newer english name jehovah has been accepted as meaning that.

Hebrew does not contain the word jehovah, as it does je and hovah.
    Try putting in jehovah as a hebrew word, there isn't one.
    In hebrew the actual sounds 'je' and 'hovah' are used and they have a rather different meaning.

the sound hovah in Isaiah.

Therefore shall evil come upon thee; thou shalt not know from whence it riseth: and mischief shall fall upon thee; thou shalt not be able to put it off: and desolation shall come upon thee suddenly, which thou shalt not know.
    Bang
  • AGuest
    AGuest

Dearest Bang... may you have peace (and peace to you, too, as well, Mulan and Amazing...).

If I may, I would like to repost something I was permitted to previously that might help shed a little 'light' on this matter:

The name(s) I use for my Father and my Lord are those given me by my Lord. I formerly knew them as "Jehovah" and "Jesus Christ", and when my Lord and Father first audibly identified themselves to me, those are the names they used. I was told I would not have "received" any other names. (Boy, was THAT true!)

I have since been taught, by my Lord... through holy spirit... the following:

The rendering "JHVH" is the taken from the Hebrew letters YHWH. In the Hebrew tongue, the "J" is PRONOUNCED "Y". For example, although it is SPELLED "hallelu-jah"... we SAY... "hallelu-YAH". (Actually, though, the "H" is silent, so it is truly "a-lle-lu-yah".) The "W", in the Hebrew tongue, is PRONOUCED "V". For example, even today in Yiddish tongue, some will say 'vedding', instead of 'wedding'. Yes?

Unfortunately, some well-meaning, but misguided (misguided, in that they relied on the knowledge of earthling man... their own... and HIS perception of the proper placement of 'vowels'... rather than the knowledge of God, which is spoken through His Word - Rev. 19:13; John 1:14) to translate God's name. Thus, they erroneously rendered "JHVH" as "JeHoVaH". In TRUTH (John 14:6), however, that name is PROPERLY rendered "JaH-VeH", which means "JAH causes to come into existence... JAH breathes into existence... armies." Thus, my Father's name is JAH... and He IS... JAH OF ARMIES, the Holy One of Israel, the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.

Psalm 68:4

My Lord's name is taken directly from my Father's... so that what is said by the Prophets and my Lord, "Blessed is he that comes in the name of JAH" is fulfilled. His name is "JAH-ESHUA", which is PRONOUNCED "YahShua"... or "Joshua", if you use a 'hard' "J". That is his NAME. It MEANS... "JAH saves" or "salvation of JAH".

His DESIGNATION, however, is "mischa-JAH", PRONOUNCED Hebrewically "mee-sha-yah"... or in English "ma-sy-yah". This designation MEANS... 'chosen' or 'anointed' (mischa) 'of JAH'. Mischa-Jah. In GREEK, the word is "kristos", which translated into English is "Christ"... or chosen/anointed one. "Christ-ians" are "chosen people"... or "anointed people".

Thus, my Father's name is JAH... and my Lord's JAHESHUA (Jah saves) MISCHAJAH (chosen of JAH). And it is in THIS way that he 'comes in the name of JAH."

Hope this helps, truly. If not, you could ALWAYS do what I did: ask for and receive holy spirit and let IT 'teach [you] all things'.

Your servant and a slave of Christ,

SJ

I hope this helps you, too, Bang, and again, peace to you!

A slave of Christ,

SJ

• Bang
    Bang

That's a help.
    I was thinking along the lines of sound - where language first comes from. Yah sounds a bit more agreeable to me, more like Yeah as we use today. But je hovah has more of a yes master tone about it, as if the one spoken to is haughty.

The hebrews seem to have used it describing from mischief (that couldn't be reconciled, a chasm).

Interesting stuff.

Bang

• blondie
    blondie

Anyway, who calls their father by his first name. Isn't it disrespectful?

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Ummmmm, by his very nature, won't the One True God know when you're talking too or about him no matter what you call him????

YERUSALYIM
    "Vanity! It's my favorite sin!"
    [Al Pacino as Satan, in "DEVIL'S ADVOCATE"]

• Bang
    Bang

Hey, scumbag, scumbag, can you hear me troublemaker - please defeat those wicked people who want anything that I should rightly have, because we are your clean favourites, and thank you for our new home.

I dunno. What do ya think?

Bang

• Satanus
    Satanus

Calling the origin of everything a refried name like jehovah makes about as much sense as calling it dawg. Although, dawg users do it for humor, whereas jehovah users take themselves and their imagined diety very seriously.

SS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit