CO talk

by Fatal Error 45 Replies latest jw friends

• Fatal Error
    Fatal Error

We had our second CO talk yesterday, the topic of which was loyalty, thinly veiled as to one another, but dripping with threats toward those who might go against the Society.

After the usual drivel about the Society being God's organisation, and appreciating their junk food (as an aside, has anyone actually vomitted up any of this "food"?? just wondering...), I was rudely dragged out of my slumber by the CO's harsh declaration that we should shun all those who slipped away from the Thruth, as they inactivity is a bad influence. He went on to heap the blame on them, "if they feel this way, then they should expect their due", "they bring shunning onto themselves" etc...

Has it always been this way? It seemed to me that inactive ones were not to be shunned, maybe not associated with on a regular basis, but not cast out as it were? The point he seemed to eb making is that by being inactive, they are in effect going against the teachings, and thus are no better than a full blown apostate... This lasted for a good half hour, concluding on the opening thought that loyalty to the each other and to the organsition is vital, and that maintaining any kind of contact with inactive ones is showing lack of loyalty.

Any thoughts on this?

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

There are different sorts of inactive people. Some are viewed as "weak" who might be working too much or "distracted" in some way so they do not get that 15 minutes in a month.

Others are inactive by choice, fading away and have problems with the Society or their local elder body or who may be leading a "double life".

It is the "inactive by choice" crowd the Society does not like because they are circumventing their control and influence. It would appear that they are pushing harder than ever to subtly influence their members to shun these ones without directly stating they should. While this is not "enforced shunning", a significant number "get the message" the Society is sending allowing the Society to "discipline" members without having an official policy that directly states this.

Path

• Fatal Error
    Fatal Error

Thanks Path :)

While I get what you're saying, thing is the CO did include those who were "too busy" etc.. as they were "promoting worldly activities taking precedence over spiritual ones". That's what got me. The gist of it was that by minimising communication with these ones, we'd be showing them that it was necessary to put the Truth abve all else, and change their lifestyle, quit their job, whatever.

To me, that sounded like a distinct change of direction...

• Mister Biggs
    Mister Biggs

Hi, Fatal E...

Please ask your CO about the official JW belief on shunning.

Taken from http://www.jw-media.org/beliefs/beliefsfaq.htm :
    Do you shun former members?
    Those who simply cease to be involved in the faith are not shunned. In compliance with the Scriptures, however, members can be expelled for serious unchristian conduct, such as stealing, drunkenness, or adultery, if they do not repent and cease such actions. Disfellowshipping does not sever family ties. Disfellowshipped members may continue to attend religious services, and if they wish, they may receive pastoral visits. They are always welcome to return to the faith.—1 Corinthians 5:11-13.

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

Yeah, mr. Biggs, it's just that I was forced to resign as an elder because of having talked with my disfellowshipped offspring ......
    Written stuff is one thing, spoken stuff behind closed doors is quite another ..........

• metatron
    metatron

Lisa, you were right!

KING REHOBOAM RULES AT THE WATCHTOWER SOCIETY!

metatron

• Mister Biggs
    Mister Biggs

Hi, TOH...
    I'm still active and my sister was DA'd because she got married in a church. She never wrote a letter or faced a Judicial Committee. They simply did it based upon her actions. I never completely shunned her. We recently have become more close and she even is a member here at JW.com.
    I wish they would try to tell me to not speak to my sister. There would be some scrappin' going on between me and the elders.
    Hang in there, Hippie.

• Matty
    Matty

Mister Biggs, well, I'm still active too unfortunately! Is this familiar to you: We seem to have waves of hard-line and soft-line from the Org. Its a bit like the two policemen interrogating the suspect, one nice, one nasty - taking turns to speak. I remember during the mid 80's the FDS had a very hard-line approach. The talks at conventions were very condemnatory and threatening - real "hellfire & brimstone" stuff. People were alarmed into action: hours, studies, placements, shot up. In the 90's things got very relaxed. Did you get the impression that elders were told to be more hands-off with the congregation? Recently though, I get the impression that with the decrease in publishers, hours & studies we are approaching another radical period. Our last CO visit left me with a similar impression to Fatalerror. Handing in your FSR to the book study conductor rather than popping it into the box. The "pioneer-assist" scheme. Hmm…

• jerome
    jerome

With all the talk of people fading away this haas definately got to be a measure taken to discredit those who try.

jerome

The Bible is a two edged sword wield it for evil and there may be hell to pay.

• out4good3
    out4good3

Just another talk to try and stem the bleeding membership base in lands where the true information about them is free flowing. I'm by their definition inactive, but I refuse to play into the mindset that I owe them any explanation as to my decision not to go to meetings, or field service, or to assume the stigma of any one of their self-serving labels. They can JC me if they want, at this point I don't care as it will be a meeting I will not acknowledge nor attend.

The only card they have to play against me is my wife since she still attends very infrequently some of those indoctrination sessions. But I've made peace with the fact that although I do love her, I will start over if I have too. I have seen too many of my JW in-laws who have imprisoned themselves in unhappy and destructive marriages afraid to do anything about it for fear of what the borg will think. I will not live like that. I'm still a relatively young man working in an industry with a lot of earning potential. If she choose to follow the KH Elders, she'd better be ready for them to step up and pay all her bills too.

I'm currently gathering any information about them being in bed with the UN so that if they ever try to come after me, I can blow their blatant hipocrisy out the water for all my JW relatives to see.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit