I wonder if you can be spiritual and religious at the same time??

by Deltawave 33 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

DJS sounds as though you may be frightened of 'self induced emotions'. People listen to music, look at art or beautiful scenery and read literature or poetry to produce emotions called happiness, pleasure, joy, nothing to do with superstition. You are getting hung up on labels. The word spirituality is just a word, if you google synonyms for happiness is lists high spirits.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    DJS sounds as though you may be frightened of 'self induced emotions'.

He didn't say anything that sounded like fear. If anything, his statement was dispassionate.

• rebelfighter
    rebelfighter
    Vivian my dear you are most definitely barking up the wrong tree here When you attempt to attack this lady about children. I assisted putting a pedophile in prison for 15 years he would have gotten life but the jerk plea bargained with the D.A., I work no less then 50 hours a month for charity organizations that raise money for children's health issues, I have taken on school systems that have not lived up to their responsibility in regard to learning disabilities, my daughter and I both will take on school bullies in a heart beat. As for guns if a kid gets a hold of a gun well that parent should be locked up for a good long time No damn excuse for that behavior. I have spent 50 years advocating for kids, raising money for kids, and just spent one year in the NICU with my 2 miracle grand babies a wonderful gift from GOD!! God had nothing to do with why they ended up in the NICU it had to do with the stupidity of my son's girlfriend. I put that in writing and I told it to his face and he did not like it but it was the truth - if you do not take care of yourself and your unborn baby premature babies happen. Go to the March of Dimes website.
  • DJS
    DJS

Xanthippe: "DJS sounds as though you may be frightened of 'self induced emotions'."

I'm human like everyone else. I'm not afraid of my emotions because I learned a long time ago to control them -not perfectly but they don't control or rule me. I especially don't allow others to control my emotions, whether it is a preacher, a sports team, a co-worker or a girlfriend.

The only thing that frightens me is my ex-wife and lawyers, but that's another OP. Anyway, my point, as Viviane was stating, is that fear hasn't anything to do with it.

I'm not a robot, nor am I Spock. But, as I've pointed out before, Feelings and Emotions are all that are necessary to Believe. Spirituality is almost always associated with Believing something, and spirituality as it has been illustrated for thousands of years is almost completely associated with Emotions. The more we understand that and seek to identify WHY we feel and control HOW we feel we will be better off as a species and less like our primate cousins which lack impulse control. The more we allow our feelings and emotions to control us the longer religion and 'spirituality' will continue to imprison us and keep us from evolving as a species.

Thanks Viviane. I'm sorry for making the Terminator III analogy with you and Cofty (no I'm not -it fits and it was damned funny - you're the girl Terminator btw).

• Viviane
    Viviane
    Thanks Viviane. I'm sorry for making the Terminator III analogy with you and Cofty (no I'm not -it fits and it was damned funny - you're the girl Terminator btw).

I thought that was funny because it was in the spirit (gasp!) of humor and and a friendly jab.

Also, I would snap you in half. And you would like it.

• DJS
    DJS

Viviane,

I love it when you talk dirty.

• Brother Jeramy
    Brother Jeramy
    I've always thought of spirituality as being akin to gardening, whereas religion is akin to farming. Different yet at the same time related. Can one be spiritual and religious at the same time? Sure. Why not.
  • Xanthippe
    Xanthippe
    The more we allow our feelings and emotions to control us the longer religion and 'spirituality' will continue to imprison us and keep us from evolving as a species.

Well thanks for trying to clarify DJS although I'm still not sure what you mean but you know emotion makes people get their wallet out when they see children with pot bellies on the TV. Is the camera team trying to manipulate our emotions? Yes of course they are but for a really good reason. They could just say in a voice over, send money for Ethiopia, Sudan, whatever and give you a website and phone number.

The sensible and controlled thing might be to say I can't afford it but thankfully many people are moved by their emotions to help others.

However I was talking about enjoying art with all of our emotions. I hope you think that is compatible with rational living?

• DJS
    DJS

Xanthippe: " . . many people are moved by their emotions to help others. However I was talking about enjoying art with all of our emotions. I hope you think that is compatible with rational living?"

Well stated. Of course. I agree completely with what you are saying. Art (and ex-girfriends) are the only things I collect. And wonderful memories. Nature, art, close friends and relationships, popcorn, coffee, wine and girl parts all make me feel strongly. Injustice and poverty cause the same. I just don't attribute any of these things to some personage or unseen thing-ey.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Religion is just another form of Business..People have found a way to sell the idea of a God..

Spiritual..Enjoying the life around you..

Wondering where it all came from,what it`s source is..That has some merit..

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit