New Year Resolution: A new recipe every week

by Simon 24 Replies latest jw friends

• Simon
    Simon

We decided we don't cook enough and are pretty bored of what we usually eat (whether home-made or eating out).

So ...

Our New Years Resolution for 2014 is to try a new recipe every week.

So far we've done some Jamie Olivers roasted vegetables and right now we're making Cornish-like Pasties. Apparently, people are very militant about exactly what a CORNISH pastie is so our's are Cornish-like because dammit, we wanted peas and carrots and whatever seasoning we wanted to stick in there too!

Smells delicious and can't wait to eat them.

I also invented a new dish using a leftover half-tin of garden peas and a slice of bread. I call it a pea sandwich. I was delicious but needs a gravy-drizzle next time. You can take the boy out of Manchester ...

We'll update this for as long as we remember to keep it up and please post your favourite recipes to try.

• besty
    besty

if you have lots of cookbooks then you should take a look at eatyourbooks.com

well worth the small subscription

• Simon
    Simon

if you have lots of cookbooks then you should take a look at eatyourbooks.com well worth the small subscription

Cool, thanks - I'll check that out!

I'm a big fan of making stuff up. Angharad goes mad because I keep throwing in different seasoning and herbs - most times it comes out delicious but then you never know exactly how you did it.

That's part of the fun though ...

• rebel8
    rebel8

Put a nice blob of olive oil in a big pot, say 2 tablespoons-ish. Heat it up on medium and add 3 cloves of crushed garlic, and 1 sliver of onion. Brown the garlic very lightly and discard the onion. Pour in a large can of crushed tomatoes (28 oz)., a little siracha, and the Italian seasonings of your choice. Cook it on low heat for about 30 minutes.

Cook some fettucine. When you're ready to eat, wilt some whole spinach leaves in the sauce.

Eat with vegetarian meatballs you buy, or make some using chopped up eggplant, held together with eggs and coated in breadcrumbs.

Double or triple this for a family.

You must yell, "Mangia" to get everyone to eat more after they get full.

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

We visited the Upper Peninsula of Michigan a few yrs ago ,and became acquainted with Welsh Pasties . As soon as we got back home we had to make them ourselves ,turned out pretty well .( i like to add in things of my own too )

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

That's a great idea. New recipes are always fun but I'm not sure about the pea sandwhich however. :)

• quellycatface
    quellycatface

Anyone got a good recipe for corned beef hash??there's loads of variations.

• clarity
    clarity

Ha ha..a pea sandwhich! Omg Simon ... be a true

Brit and make a chip sandwhich, take a few chips

from the fish& chips pkg...malt vineagar them,salt &

pepper ....roll them up in some nice fresh bread

& yumm it down ...heaven!

clarity

• quellycatface
    quellycatface

Fish finger sandwich with a slice of cheese and tomato sauce.whoo hoo.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

Are you omnivors ? vegetarian ? vegan ?

I love to cook and try new things. Enjoy baking up a storm now and again.

If you love veggies - try a butternut and potato curry! mmmm delish!

: dice 3 big onions, dice 6 jam tomatoes, fresh garlic to your liking (I put 4 cloves)

: chop 4 big green chillis, fresh curry leaves, good handful of corriander (cilantro) Good dash of salt

Put the above in a pot, add a decent amount of oil (this can always be taken out of the curry once cooked)

All the above to cook with the lid on until all veggies are soft. Add in your various curry powders (my mixture is: Durban Masala, Hot & medium curry powder, masala and chilli powder) Cook the powder out and then add in your potatos, add water to just cover the potatos. Once potatos are half done add in your butternut and peas, put lid back on and let it cook till done.

DELISH

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit