What Drew You To The Witnesses?

by minimus 34 Replies latest jw friends

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Sorry I didn't put that very well. People don't get over deaths of close loved ones as if it's the 'flu. I just mean she didn't ever get the chance to deal with it, in war time it was all stiff upper lip and just get on with surviving.

• love2Bworldly
    love2Bworldly

I was 12 and my 17 year old sister started taking me to meetings. I had mentally ill parents who neglected me, and since I suffered from severe depression as a child and knew nothing about the Bible-- I was the perfect convert. Paradise on earth where everyone was "family" and where I didn't feel bad/depressed all the time sounded great & gave me hope. The down side was the SEVERE guilt over never being a good enough JW or doing enough etc etc.

I suppose being a JW kept me from becoming a drug addict or sexually wild during my teenage years since my parents pretty much ignored me.

• ruderedhead
    ruderedhead

The woman who became my study conductor was a pitbull. If you answered the door, she was not going to give up. I thought it must be God's organization if she kept coming back when I was looking for some answers. I didn't even like her, and her kids were brats!

I always questioned the Trinity, but had never asked a pastor, so their teaching/belief on that subject was was a major thing for me. It's usually more than one thing, tho, if your not a born-in, don't you think?

• blondie
    blondie

My mother...it was better than the abuse by my non-jw father at home.

After dealing with my mother's alcohol fueled abuse and my father's sexual abuse, I could recognize abuse when I saw it in the WTS.

• humbled
    humbled

It was hearing that they would die rather than go to war. I was sick of the way soldiers were treated in Vietnam and what they had done in Vietnam. War seemed unchristian.

That was what got their foot in the door.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit