Hold me, thrill me, kiss me..... a tribute

by FlyingHighNow 27 Replies latest social entertainment

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Have I ever told ya'll about my grande ma ma? My daddy's mother? I can't recall. But I am missing her tonight. What I would give to have her back for even one conversation.

If anyone is interested, I will post pictures of her. Any comments are welcomed. I hope at least some of you had at least one grande ma ma.

My tribute:

Time: 1965. Place: Mobile, Alabama, probably Government Street. Scenario: 6 year old me, riding with my grande ma ma, Carlita, in her giant grey blue 1963 coupe de ville cadillac. There, giant, stately oaks line both sides of the avenue. Their branches meet, forming a tunnel which we glide through. It's raining: the windshield wipers keep time. I can smell the rain... The radio: on comes a song, which thrills my grandmother, the quintessential southern belle, grande dame of the family, and she begins to sing along, with passion: "Hold me! Hold me! Never let me go until you've told me! Told me, what I want to know and then just hold me, hold me, make me tell you I'm in love with you....Thuh rill me! Thu rill me! Walk me down the lane where shadows will be, will be, hiding lovers just the same as we'll be, we'll be when you make me tell you I love you....." She looks over at me, who is smiling from my toe tips to my scalp, and says, "Hey- uh- ther (Heather), darr-lin' (darling), now, thy-at's a sOOoongg." Then she smiled at me. And I miss her, terribly, but her legend lives on, right here on the www, for the whole world to enjoy. This is my story, the truth, and don't even be thinking about retelling it and claiming credit for it, or for your own. Credit me, Heather. I haven't got much, but I have my memories of her. There was never anyone like her before she walked this earth and there will never be anyone like her again. Well, except for the bit of her who lives on in me....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CNA8b-6L2E

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Be sure to listen to the song to see why it was such a big deal to her. She was my slightly naughty grandmother. I figured that out when I was 16, but that was a story for later.

• Bruja-del-Sol
    Bruja-del-Sol

It's heart warming to read your story. It's like getting a sneak peak through a time machine... And the accent, well I've seen Forrest Gump haha, can imagine a bit how she must have sounded. Will listen to the song later today! And please post a picture of her, I'm curious what your grande ma ma looks like.

Thanks for sharing FHN!

(I've had a wonderful grandmother as well, haven't seen her the last decade, since she's still a JW and 'because of her conscience' she's 'not able' to see me again... ever... She's 89 and I terribly miss her )

• Heath N
    Heath N

Oh-my-oh-my.......I loved to close-dance with the girls to that song......brings so many good

memories when I grew up during that wonderful time, thanks much.

Paul

• designs
    designs

One of the great belly-rubber songs. Fond memories of the old JW party scene in Los Angeles.

• clarity
    clarity

Flying ...this just jolted me into remembering...

....a fun normal time ... plugging nickels

into a lit up juke box & hitting the dance floor

with Connie Francis, & my steady guy at sixteen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Never had a granma ...but yours sounds like a gem!

clarity

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

(I've had a wonderful grandmother as well, haven't seen her the last decade, since she's still a JW and 'because of her conscience' she's 'not able' to see me again... ever... She's 89 and I terribly miss her )

That's terrible. Makes me want to spit. Mine just simply past away.

I'm glad you all got some good nostalgic feelings from reading about Carlita.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Some pictures:

The first is my parents with Carlita and my dentist, maxillo facial surgeon, Naval officer grandpappy, having dinner in NYC in early 1961. Carlita is bottom left. Her waist length hair is pinned up. Her father was fullblooded American Indian. Daddy, her oldest son is behind her, Grandpappy to the right of Daddy, Mamma to the right of Grande Ma ma.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Grandma ma, when she was still a young woman.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

My grandpappy, David, contracted TB from one of his patients, during WWII. He was sent to live in a TB sanatorium in Colorado Springs, Colorado and the whole family moved with him.

Grandpappy and Grandma ma.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit