The Pastor of my Old Church Tried to Re-Convert Me Yesterday

by cofty 2596 Replies latest jw experiences

• Comatose
    Comatose

I havent been in here since page 10 or so as I could see where it was going. At page 65 curiosity got me and I read the last few pages. Tammy! What a surprise to see you in here!

"the need for natural disasters"...

Because an omnipotent god couldn't do this any different. Okay.....

• tec
    tec

Well, i think we can concede that an 'omnipotent' being... would know more than non-omnipotent beings.

They're only disasters if there is loss of life, btw. I assume that no one here considers that the state of this planet at its origin, and all the tumultuous activity that went into making this planet capable of supporting life... as natural disasters.

Peace,

tammy

• adamah
    adamah

BTW, we're now at Leibniz' "best of all possible Worlds" theodicy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Best_of_all_possible_worlds

http://www.krisispraxis.com/archives/2012/09/the-problem-of-evil-and-the-best-of-all-possible-worlds-in-leibnizs-theodicy/

My thinking is that if someone has to jump THAT FAR away from concepts found in the Bible, it's a sure-sign of someone quite willing to make up supplemental and anachronistic post-hoc rationalizations to patch the holes in the original flawed patch-work theology.

Adam

• cofty
    cofty

No Tammy you are still wrong.

Mountains are pushed up gradually over thousands of years, a very large earthquake my push a moutain range up by just 4 or 5 metres. This has to happen thousands of times to reach the huge heights of ranges like the Himalayas. If plates moved smoothly over each other causing nothing but a slight temor the mountains would still grow. Earthquakes are not necessary.

Earthquakes have been happening for millions of years before humans existed so it is facile to blame human activity. Earthquakes are an example of bad design. The god of christian theism booby-trapped the planet knowing it would result in millions of preventable violent deaths.

When the Asian tsunami ocurred he watched the wave that began as no more than a slight swell, rush towards the lands around the Pacfic Rim. He knew a quarter of a million people would die and millions more injured and bereaved and he did nothing.

This god is not loving, knowing and powerful. It is a fatal blow to christian theism.

I will return to your silly fairy stories about Adam and Eve later.

Summary so far ...

• adamah
    adamah

Cofty said- This god is not loving, knowing and powerful. It is a fatal blow to christian theism

You're now repeating your conclusion, trying to project YOUR conclusion onto others and forcing it down their throat. You're not presenting arguments to support your conclusion.

Keep tilting at that windmill, and telling yourself that you've just single-handedly killed Christian theism, Cofty, as if you're the first one to consider the issue of 'natural evil' (esp ironic when you just said Outlaw was delusional).

Adam

• tec
    tec

I will look up all that you have said.

You are still suggesting that God 'should have done' something; without knowing how that something could be done, yourself. Or even what that something is... or the ramifications.

Earthquakes have been happening for millions of years before humans existed so it is facile to blame human activity. Earthquakes are an example of bad design. The god of christian theism booby-trapped the planet knowing it would result in millions of preventable violent deaths.

How could it be a booby trap... when God did not make MAN to be subject to death to begin with?

Peace,

tammy

• Viviane
    Viviane

Adamah, for one who loves the accuse others of logical fallacies with giant cut-n-paste sessions (and do so falsely, sometimes), you just jumped to Ludicrous Speed with your hyperbole accusing Cofty of thinking he has single handedly killed Christianity. Should I cut-n-paste your own text about the fallacy of the excluded middle, a strawman or appeal to emotion with your loaded language?

• Viviane
    Viviane

He doesn't need to know those things, Tammy. If God really is omniscient and omnipotent and love, then he should know how, be able to do it and do it out of love.

If he doesn't know how, can't or just doesn't want to, you're left with a two legged stool that falls over.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Outlaw - you have delusions of grandeur......Cofty

By explaining how I Mod on another Forum?..And..

Work with both forums so one doesn`t negativily affect the other?..

LOL!!..

You don`t like tec,her beliefs,or her forum..Your Fanatical about it..

I mod there,so you pointlessly strike out at me..An Agnostic with No Faith at all..

It`s not the first time..

You endlessly fight the Idea of a God,anywhere, with anyone,at anytime..

It`s a lot of wasted time and energy..

Especially when you do it with Someone,who has No Faith At All..

..................................................... photo mutley-ani1.gif...OUTLAW

• cofty
    cofty

It`s a lot of wasted time and energy.. - Outlaw

Carry on with your cartoons and we will carrry on with adult conversations.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit