shock horror! WITNESSING ATTIRE NOW CONDONES OPEN-NECK SHIRTS FOR MALES!

by steve2 29 Replies latest jw friends

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Maybe he is informal witnessing. I have to say, when JWs come into my work, on a Sunday and even their boys are dressed in ties, they look so out of touch with the times it's so sad.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

What is incredible and ridiculous, even cruel is asking sisters to go out in skirts during frigid weather. It used to get down to 28 below in Chicago, windchill factor 40 below, fahrenheit and sisters would go in service in skirts, tights and boots. Crazy!

• smiddy
    smiddy

I was in S.E.Qld Aust. when safari suits became popular , it was tolerated for a while and then frowned upon . About the 1970`s ?

smiddy

• AFRIKANMAN
    AFRIKANMAN

Definitely localised "rulz" - Here in Africa in some locations the "native" brothers will still be in collar and tie despite it maybe being +35 Deg C.

I am currently speaking to people informally while dressed in my beach shorts and T-Shirt with my towel over my shoulders - [shock horror to the elders] but I set my own rulz wrt who/what/when I wish to speak to people about life and God and spirituality. I only carry a Bible with me in my "man-bag"

We did have a congregation in the very Calvinist / Ultra-white city of Bloemfontein which kept a wardrobe of white shirts and conservative ties in the back room so that any visiting speaker could be made to "re-dress" in order to conform with their standard.

3 years ago I was spoken to by a CO at a DC where I was giving a talk - who asked me to refrain from wearing a Pinkish shirt - he felt it carried gay overtones.

• John_Mann
    John_Mann

[We did have a congregation in the very Calvinist / Ultra-white city of Bloemfontein which kept a wardrobe of white shirts and conservative ties in the back room so that any visiting speaker could be made to "re-dress" in order to conform with their standard.

3 years ago I was spoken to by a CO at a DC where I was giving a talk - who asked me to refrain from wearing a Pinkish shirt - he felt it carried gay overtones.]

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

Thats the picture I saw smiddy, safari shorts & shirt, i remember laughing at the irony of knee high socks. It would have been a 1993ish article, sure it was a WT study article, couple of Aussies preaching in a boat harbour.

Isn't it insane that the control is that tight, that the clothing used in literature is used as a means to dictate what can and can't be worn!

RIDICULOUS!

• steve2
    steve2

Dress code rules closely reflect local customs but more importantly, the thinking of one's religious affiliation. Talk about their crazy claim to "just" going back to the Bible - what rubbish! The Witnesses are as enslaved to their leaders' dress code deliberations as any other members of any other religion are.

Learning for me is that the organization may make different exceptions on dress code - with narry rhyme nor reason. The stand the male governing body has taken against trousers for women reeks of yet another man-made rule.

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

In Spain one elder went on field service without a tie but he was the only one.

• St George of England
    St George of England

@AFRIKANMAN - Pinkish shirts eh? That really is pushing it!!

Not the thing to wear here in Brighton (Gay capital of the UK) though some brothers do.

I saw a guy on the bus recently with a pink T-shirt, the logo on it said "Tough enough to wear pink!"

George

• MMXIV
    MMXIV

There was a picture in the WT of someone informally witnessing wearing sandals, no tie and he even had a beard. He seemed to think his life saving message was more important than what he was wearing. Might have been Jesus. I guess it's not what's in our hearts but what people can see that counts in JW world

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit