So done with expectations and waiting for 'when it happens'...

by Bruja-del-Sol 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Bruja-del-Sol
    Bruja-del-Sol

Ok, I haven't introduced myself properly. Sorry for that, but I just never feel like I've got something REALLY interesting to say. So I rather respond on topics of other people. Feels safer and more comfortable. But today I feel down and depressed and don't know any other thing than to write it down here for people to read who know what I feel.

What's the problem? Well, I'll tell you.

I've got a wonderful husband. Nothing to be depressed or down about. He's my everything. And that's actually where the problem does start...
    We live in Southern Spain since january this year and we don't speak Spanish yet, at least not good enough to have a real conversation (other than paying in a shop or ordering coffee in a restaurant). We have no friends here. We used to have a couple of English people we associated with this summer, it felt like they were our friends, or at least becoming such, but with the blink of an eye it was all over and they disappeared as fast as they appeared. (Of course there's a whole story to it, but that's not related to this topic). So when they were gone we also lost contact with their friends and people around them. We were back to basics, just me and my husband again. The only social contacts we have are online through skype with my kids, my SIL and a handful of friends in Holland and some email contacts.

I've written and sent nearly thirty Christmas cards by regular mail and a same amount through email, so over 60 people received our wishes for Christmas and New Year. Less than 10 people responded (I'm not expecting people to send cards in return, but a simple email with a note like 'hey, thanks for your card'... is that too much to expect?).

So actually today I feel lonely. The friends I had in Holland are minimized and they rarely stay in touch. So basically it's just me and my husband. Day in day out.

And don't get me wrong, I adore him, he's the love of my life. I've lost him when I was sixteen, because he wasn't a JW and my father just blew him away and forbid him to contact me ever again. That was THE trigger for me to get baptized, because then the loss of my love would at least had a purpose and wouldn't be for nothing. So I got baptized age 17 with a whole group of folks around the same age (actually, it wasn't just because of losing my love, it was also that I never felt I fitted in with the other JW-children, so this was something that made me feel like I was one of them, I belonged with them... at least that was the thought). Shortly after that I got married to a JW elders son, we got children together, we were together for nearly fifteen years, then I fell in love with a guy I met through the internet and left my then husband, got DF'd for adultery, a year later I left that guy who was really bad for me and I went looking for my first love and found him. All I wanted was closure, because my father had removed him so brutally out of my life, but we ended up together. Our love was so strong, even after nearly eighteen years, and we both felt we were meant for each other.

Anyway, we got married and my husband is my true love, my soulmate... but I also want other people to talk to. So I can get my feelings, doubts, worries, thoughts off my chest. Because my husband has never been a JW and he doesn't understand why I'm on JWN. So I can tell him everything I want, but the things related to JW's... he just doesn't understand. He can't imagine why I would continue digging up this whole ordeal with my family, losing my friends, being DF'd etc. He says it just makes me feel miserable and doesn't do any good. His solution would be "drop the topic, forget about it and move on".

So I've tried that. I was very active on a Dutch ex-JW website and a couple of years ago I quit. I thought "time to move on". I really thought I could forget about it, feel numb about the loss of my family and never look back. But it just doesn't work that way for me. So I started to read here earlier this year and after reading a couple of months I became a member and started to post. And it feels good, since here are so many people who can relate to and understand how I feel.

It's like being amputated. You can live without that arm or leg, hand or toe. But there always will be times when you think "what if it didn't happen?" or just remember how it was when you weren't amputated. I feel amputated. Even though I don't have any positive feelings for my family, at least not for the people they are NOW, hateful and hypocritical, but they are my family and every now and then I do miss having family. I've got nieces and nephews who don't even know me, probably don't even know I exist. And the ones that do know I exist have been told that I'm crazy (I know, since one of my nieces said that on the last occasion I've seen them, at my non-JW grandmother's funeral). That hurts. I can't help it, it just hurts. I've always wanted to be their 'favorite auntie'. When I was still 'in' I always was the first to visit my siblings when a new baby was born. I'm such a 'family person', I love giving presents, letting the people around me know that I love them, giving and receiving hugs, laugh with each other, talk about vacations in the past, watching old photographs together...

And so this morning I was thinking. And it suddenly was crystal clear to me that my biggest issue is my expectations. I expect things to happen, I expect people to do things... Like with the Christmas cards, I expected more response and hoped to hear from all those people I think of as friends... And when that doesn't happen I'm disappointed. I was expecting to be a wonderful aunt and everything fell apart when I got DF'd. I came to Spain and expected to speak Spanish within weeks and build friendships with people here... but it hasn't come to that (yet). So I'm disappointed.

And then there's another issue... My husband has a dream, he wants to be rich, financially free. And of course I want him to achieve that, for him and for me. So I've supported him for the last ten years. And very often he told me it's just a matter of 'a couple of months'... and I expected it to happen. I could nearly FEEL it happening... how could it turn out differently? It HAD to happen. For over ten years I've been living with this expectation of financial freedom 'around the corner'. Just a couple more months, it won't take long... and when the money starts to flow we can travel, pay off our debts, buy a beautiful house etc. We will be able to live the life of our dreams. "When it happens..."

This morning it just hit me... I'm doing the EXACT SAME THING as I did as a witness!!!! I'm waiting for things 'around the corner' that might never come. I'm expecting this paradise-like life... always feeling a bit that the life I'm living right now is not yet what it will be... I'm living on expectations and hope, waiting... always waiting... "When we have a lot more money... then..."...

I told my husband how I felt and he doesn't get it. He feels like I'm blaming him for not being rich yet. But I'm not blaming him. I told him I want to live more in the HERE and NOW, but he translates that to a life without dreams. He feels bad about how I feel. But I don't blame him, I blame myself for walking into the same trap again! I was a born-in JW, lived that life for 32 years and got kicked out. I still believed they had the 'truth' when I got DF'd. Only a year or so later I started to read about the WTS and learned that they're a bunch of liars. I suddenly realized "I'm going to die!" So I've started to live my life in a new way. I became a pagan, later I learned about witchcraft and became a witch. But slowly somewhere along the way I've put in the expectations and hope just like I had as a JW... it's like a computer program that runs in the background...

And I don't want it to be this way. I don't want to expect things and get disappointed when they turn out to be wrong or not realistic.

Now that I've come to this realization the question is: how do I change it? How do I end this unwanted 'program', or should I say 'virus', to run my life?

If we will ever be rich, wealthy, financially free, that would be great. But it shouldn't be a 'show stopper' if it doesn't happen. My life is not about that, I don't want it to be. I want to enjoy the things we have, even though they're small and old. I want to be happy with the tiny rented house we live in, without every time looking at the packed full kitchen thinking "soon, in our new big house I'll have a huge kitchen with lots of space"... That kitchen might never come! I want to be happy that we have a house to live in, we have a kitchen, we're able to live in Spain and enjoy the sunshine 320 days a year, we have enough money to pay the rent and buy food. And yes, I would love to have more money to be freed from the worries if we'll be able to pay the rent, be able to visit my children more often (haven't seen my eldest in eight months now ), but I no longer wish to live with that feeling of 'soon, anytime now'... and 'when it happens...'.

Thank you for reading (if you made it til here). I'm starting to feel a bit better now, good to have it off my chest.

Bruja-del-Sol.

• designs
    designs

Being grounded in the moment is important in life. Hope you find local friends to do things with. Spain is a beautiful country.

• Bruja-del-Sol
    Bruja-del-Sol

Thank you designs, for the effort of writing something

• caliber
    caliber

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((( Bruja-del-Sol))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

It was a lovely heartfelt life story , thanks.

It is so true a person can focus on future expectations so as not to enjoy the moment.

But of course we do miss family and close friends ... it is a yearning within us.

wishing you peace and contentment

• quellycatface
    quellycatface

Hi there.Thank you for sharing.your story is inspiring.the fact you met up with your real love after all you'd gone through.look after each other.it's great that you still have a relationship with your children.I understand loneliness.I often felt alone in the truth and the odd one out.my life has shrunk, socially.my New year's resolutions is to make an effort to get more friends.join a club, do some voluntary work and an exercise class (need to lose weight too!!!). Keep sharing on Jwn.good place, good people. Feel free to message me.

Kind thoughts xx

• garyneal
    garyneal

My wife is a "in the moment" kind of girl when it comes to everything. For many things I agree for the moment is all we can control. I just think it goes too far when she uses that outlook to justify going in credit card debt and not trying to save money for big purchases and emergencies. Sometimes I think she uses shopping and spending to compensate for something she feels she lacks in her personal life.

Like you, I had expectations that never materialized "on my timetable." I had to finally just learn to enjoy life as it is. We can try to look forward to some imagined perfect day and overlook all the good things we miss on this day doing so.

• clarity
    clarity

Bruja ...I remember you very clearly from your 1st post

on the Newbie thread, and feel a connection to you!

Realize that you do still exist, you did have another life

at another time .... family, friends, work, house......

they are all still part of who you are ...it is not gone!

Your words are still here......

"I live in Spain in the area they call the 'Costa del Sol' ('Coast of the Sun' or 'Sunny coast') and I'm a witch (yep, that's what I wrote, I'm a white witch) and the Spanish word for 'witch' is 'bruja'... there you go, I'm the Witch of the Sun, or Sunny Witch

Bruja del Sol signature

Gather all those strengths back into yourself dear Sunny.

Close your eyes and picture how full you are and

powerful.

Maybe the intraspection that you are doing ...

is telling you to have another look to see what is

your next adventure.

Wishing you & your hubby, only good things Sunny!

clarity

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year Bruja-del-Sol! Dreams are good, but only if you live in and for the present. It seems like you have had some important revelations on your own. If you can afford to talk with a counselor, it may help you to disover more WTBTS phobias that you may be carring.

If you want to help your husband understand more how you feel, I would recommend that he watch the following videos: Strategic Interactive Approach explained 2003 (1:23:23) and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIDwXYACfmM&list=PL4092CCAFD7966428

What do you like to do? Have you searched the internet for activities where you currently live to meet locals who have similar interests as you and who may speak english? Do you know about www.meetup.com or http://ex-jehovahs-witnesses.meetup.com/? Unfortunately, their are no ex-JW meetup groups in Spain, but you could always start one.

Your written English is very good. Have you enrolled in Spanish classes at a local school or asked local school teachers, if you can help them teach English to Spanish students?

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• Bruja-del-Sol
    Bruja-del-Sol

Thank you all so much for your input, this really helps.

@Caliber: thank you for your kind words. 'Yearning' that's the exact word for what I feel every now and then when it comes to my lost family and friends and the loss of what used to be so familiar.

@Quellycatface: I like your new years resolutions. I think I'll adopt them, it's what I should do too, get out of the house more, meet new people, make friends and definitely need to lose weight! Thanks for the kind thoughts

@Garyneal: I've had that behaviour as well once: shop til you drop and then end up with debts... Not a very sensible thing to do, but it's like you said, there's often a lack of something emotionally to get that sort of behaviour. My thought used to be 'money has to roll, just spend it, don't safe it'. But that has changed. I'm a lot more careful with money these days. So there's still hope for your wife And I'm certainly going to live more in the now as in 'no more waiting for the perfect day'.

@Clarity: you're adorable, I'm really fond of you! Your copy/pasting my very own words made me feel like I'm 'seen' here. So often that I feel like I'm a nobody, that people just don't 'see' me. Don't know if you've ever seen the movie 'What women want', but in that movie is a girl who works in the archives and all she does is bring files around at the office. And nobody notices her. I often feel like that, like it doesn't matter to other people who I am and that I'm actually there. The Christmas cards-thing gave me that feeling as well. I've left and moved to Spain and even though I reach out to my former friends, they seem to have already forgotten about me, like I've never been a part of their life. Same with the JW's. Being DF'd and it's like you no longer exist. But you (and the others who responded) have shown me that I'm seen here, I am part of the whole on JWN. And that feels GOOD! So thank you very much!

@Abiblestudent: You're being very helpful as well! You've just given me a couple of ideas that I wouldn't have come up with myself. Thanks for reaching out and sharing your thoughts. And thank you also for the compliment about my English. I just love that language. So your idea of helping Spanish students with their English is a good great one, it would work both ways: me learning more Spanish, while I help them to get better at English. (I'll ask my hubby to watch the video with me. Thanks for the link).

for all of you!

• love2Bworldly
    love2Bworldly

Thank you for sharing. It's great that you are married to the love of your life, but women do need to have a social support system I think more than men do. I think you do need to take Spanish classes or maybe online classes to learn the language where you live so you can communicate better.

Are there any hobbies or classes you can take where you would meet other ladies with similar interests? Or maybe volunteer work? I've never been to Spain but I hear it's beautiful.

Easier said than done, but try to enjoy each day for what it is. My husband is a life coach and I used to belong to a Unity church, and pretty much have been taught since leaving the JDumbs that it's in the palm of my hand to be rich/wealthy/prosperous etc etc. But now I am looking around my home & my life and realizing how damn lucky I am right now in this moment, even living with bipolar disease. I have plenty of food to eat, a nice home, a job I enjoy making good money & benefits, a spouse who truly loves me, and mild weather (no tornadoes or disasters etc)., and my 3 grown children are all doing well & happy. I suffer from severe depression at times, but what really gets me through the hard times is being able to talk to other women.

I also joined Toastmasters this year which is an international group. Maybe you should try it? It's fun, you not just give speeches but have responsibilities every week. You would be interacting with people, and it would force you to use Spanish. Just a thought?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit