New Study Exposes Acupuncture As Pseudoscience

by alecholmesthedetective 70 Replies latest social current

• cofty
    cofty

They have done it with every form of alternative medice

There is no such thing as "alternative medicine".

There is medicine that can be shown to work through double-blind trials, then there is medicine that works because of a placebo effect and then there is woo.

• rebel8
    rebel8

Ditto what cofty said.

randi.org is a good place to learn critical thinking techniques for the newly exited.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Studies are monipulated all the time.

• cofty
    cofty

Are you atttracted to conspiracy theories in general Crazyguy or is it just about medicine?

• rebel8
    rebel8

Studies are monipulated all the time.

That's why a a body of evidence, critical thinking, and scientific literacy is necessary.

• GromitSK
    GromitSK

I have to say I have had very satisfactory results from acupuncture for some conditions. I'm certainly not claiming it's proof of anything but sufficident for me to make use of it from time to time.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I am not sure I buy it. It's one study, with one condition. I have had acupuncture a few times, it's good for some things, not so much for others. It was was a very interesting experience. I became very relaxed when they had all the needles in, which was odd because I was very nervous about becoming a human pin cushion. Placebo effect, maybe, I don't know. I have also heard of a study that proved there was no such thing as the placebo effect.

I would like to see more studies, with different conditions before I decide it's of no possible benefit. I don't think there is any conspiracy though.

• alecholmesthedetective
    alecholmesthedetective

I love the chart cofty, thanks.

That's why a a body of evidence, critical thinking, and scientific literacy is necessary.

This^^^^^

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

Me too, printing out for my wall right now.

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy
    Modern acupuncture: panacea or placebo? - The Conversation

Not sure if this link from the University of Melbourne will work (Firefox). I lived in Hong Kong in the early 80's and was introduced to acupuncture and Chinese medicine (yes that's what it is universally called). I have used it on and off since, mainly for sinusitus and lower back pain. I don't care about double blind studies (despite the results from above link) as I know it works. Placebo? Who knows? More likely the power of our amazing brains to self heal. I am amazed at the back lash here as from a quick search on the 'net shows most Western countries medical insurance companies cover acupuncture.

Have any of the naysayers actually tried it for a reasonable time period?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit