Jehovah does NOT cause bad things to happen

by DS211 30 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Separation of Powers
    Separation of Powers

Read the original hebrew of the story of Jepthah, NOT the organization's spin on it. Tell me what you think about God after you finally understand what happens to his daughter.

SOP

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Just like Mr. Burns did not "cause" nuclear contamination to leak from his plant. Since he only "allowed" the contamination to occur, that is something completely different than "causing" the deadly leak.

We can have the utmost confidence that Mr. Burns is a loving man who will magically undo all the damage caused... very soon now.

• problemaddict
    problemaddict

^^^^^Gallywackers.....nitwits.....slack jawed yokels!

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

"oh i dont believe in God"

"oh well if you dont mind may i ask: if you did believe in God what kind of attributes would you expect him to have?"

We`re trained to Ignore other Peoples Beliefs!..And..

.........................Just keep Talking!..

...................................................................  photo mutley-ani1.gif...OUTLAW

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

If I remember correctly, the JW take on it is that Satan claimed that mankind only served God because he was good to them. So Jehovah is allowing all these bad things to happen to prove some men will serve Jehovah, no matter what.

So that makes God, a petty, selfish being, who allowed centuries of man's inhumanity to man to occur to win a bet with an evil being that, by the way, he created. Furthermore, he is shortly going to destroy the majority of the world's population, man woman and child, because they didn't know about this bet, either because they never heard of Jehovah's Witnesses, or because they didn't interpret the bible the way that eight men who live in Brooklyn do.

Yeah, sounds right.

• bohm
    bohm

"oh well if you dont mind may i ask: if you did believe in God what kind of attributes would you expect him to have?"

Interesting opening. This is an example of a logical fallacy; the word god is defined a certain way and asking the person to list those properties can proove nothing.

my comeback would be to list the properties and ask how that proove god. If an argument is given based on the agreement of properties i would ask him to define a unicorn.

definitions can proove nothing in the natural world.

• alecholmesthedetective
    alecholmesthedetective

the word god is defined a certain way and asking the person to list those properties can proove nothing.

Exactly bohm, a very dishonest way on the part of the Watchtower to programme publishers to avoid having an actual conversation with the householder and just talking about their god.

My second way of answering the question on 'what attributes would god have', would probably be winding them up.

"He'd have long blonde hair, the power to fly, a hammer, and the power to cause thunders."

or

"He'd have a penchant for mischief."

• Island Man
    Island Man

In essence, the JWs are inviting the person to create their own fantasy God then they're going to selectively quote texts from the bible that mention those attributes the person mentions using reasoning along the lines of "See? God really is as wonderful as you imagine he should be! Wouldn't you like to learn more about him?" It's all a manipulative appeal to emotion rather than reason.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Island Man's comment has me wondering how this conversation would work...

JW: "oh well if you dont mind may i ask: if you did believe in God what kind of attributes would you expect him to have?"

exJW: "Well let's see, what kind of attributes do I expect of God? Well, he would punish children for the sins of their parents. And he should probably provide a valuable guidebook explaining how slaves can be abused by their masters and women should be treated as property, like cattle. And God should claim to be wise, powerful, and loving, but do absolutely nothing to rescue the children of the world from diseases like cancer, or crushing poverty. I'd expect God to demand all the credit for anything good that happens, and have a lame excuse that how he has no blame for anything bad that happens. Oh, and I expect that God would keep demanding time, money, and unquestioning obedience to all be given to some group of imperfect men that claim to be his ONLY spokesmen, who continually promise that God will reward them very, very soon... but he never does. Do you worship a God like that?"

JW: "oh, so you have heard of Jehovah and his Witnesses?"

• crazy2try
    crazy2try

I remember getting all worked up and angry about something said like that on stage. I couldn't do it any more. I quit going and never returned. What a blessing!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit