Need help from JW History Buffs

by ILoveTTATT 50 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• ILoveTTATT
    ILoveTTATT

So I guess that framing the question in a different way helps:

All the articles that appeared in the Golden Age, did they reflect the view of the Watchtower Society? If they didn't, how do we know which ones did and did not?

For example, in the vaccination issue: Both pro and con articles seem to be written by Bible Students/JW's... but they have totally oposing viewpoints.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I never that individuals wrote articles. Golden Age was before my time. I don't see how you can attribute them to the WT. If someone can't provide a more concrete answer, I would just state that it is hard to trace the policy of the WT through the Golden Age articles. Your revelation changed my mind concerning using such articles as WT policy.

There is nothing in the archives. When I stumble upon the archives, I find that past posters seemed to spend a lot of time researching JW history. Why not call James Penton, who wrote Aocalypse Delayed. When I had some questions concerning his book, Mouthy encouraged me to call. He was still alive about six months ago. He is a historian. In fact, his book might contain information from The Golden Age. Certainly, your chart shows a clear split in belief. It would be wrong to assert a WTBTS policy from such divergent views.

I'm wondering if the Golden Age was a sort of measuring device to decide which way to go. Understanding the process of the Witnesses often reveals more than the doctrines themselves. Thank you for pointing out your problem. I learned something from it. So at one time it was allowed to have varying views. The WT has become more uniform over time.

I am curious whether someone's understanding of science gives a clue as to their theocratic position. Your research shows how complex the Witnesses once were. My mom forged my father's signature so my brother and I could receive vaccines. I cried so hard when the Sabin polio vaccine was distrubuted to the community at the local elementary school. The entire neighborhood was there - minus my father. Everyone was so grateful that a vaccine was available. There was a big argument at home. I touched the edge of the cup accidentally. I feared I would infect my father. Worse yet, I was too afraid to ask anyone. I am almost certain this was long after the Witnesses dropped their anti-vaccination stance.

Let me just remind people that my generation grew up with people who were seriously affected. Iron lung machines were particularly scary. It is hard to see how Satan controls this evil world when polio and smallpox are just about eradicated.

There were all kinds of fraudulent, nutty medical devices at Bethel while my father was there. Something like an Orgone box but not an Orgone box. I don't know why they were so anti Western Medicine.

• ILoveTTATT
    ILoveTTATT

I gotta stop... a little more and I am going to not want to live in this planet anymore...

OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG!

F!CKING BAT SHIT CRAZY STUPID IDIOTS!! WOW!! Darwin awards go to the WTBTS!

The stupidity of the articles is just mind-boggling... their stance against antibiotics, drugs, vaccinations... is just plain F!CKING STUPID... To the point where it is just INCREDIBLE the level of IGNORANCE they had!

Wow... just wow...

• ILoveTTATT
    ILoveTTATT

Sorry... Just... needed to vent or I was going to explode...

Back to the research... hmm... I better take a drink first...

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I would be excited. It makes your final project that much more interesting to read. Do you know who these people were in the Society?

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

The articles and books used to be by named writers. The inclusion shows the Watchtower endorsed the article, unless otherwise stated. I cannot remember when they stopped but think it was about the time of Knorr.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

The watchtower-quotes website is perfect for this x

• ILoveTTATT
    ILoveTTATT

Ok so I finally found a TRUE "smoking gun"... July 24, 1929 p.602:

(Emphasis mine)

"The Golden Age has previously called attention to the fact that Albert W. Peacock, Milford, N, H., has been punished by fine and imprisonment because he refuses to allow his son to be vaccinated."

" Until now we did not know that Mr. Peacock is a reader of The Golden Age and that his wife is very deeply interested IN THE CAUSE FOR WHICH WE STAND. It seems that the real liberty-lovers in the United States are simmering down to a handful and that the rest are as innocent of individuality and as subservient to those whose banner is the dollar mark as if they first opened their eyes yesterday."

• ILoveTTATT
    ILoveTTATT

The articles and books used to be by named writers. The inclusion shows the Watchtower endorsed the article, unless otherwise stated.

Is there proof of this (i.e. if it is included, it is endorsed)? I am just confused by the first article, it reads like someone from 2013 wrote it in that it pretty much sums up the usefulness of vaccinations, and then the rest of the articles against vaccinations show absolutely mind-boggling ignorance...

Is there a possibility that JW apologists can go on the fact that the articles were from other people, not necessarily written by the editors?

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

You need a statement from the WT stating so. It is not enough to guess or to surmise.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit