JWs in Florida and California. Is there really a difference?

by BU2B 18 Replies latest jw friends

• designs
    designs

The middle of the country is pretty conservative.

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

I have always live in CA. I was. at one time, a "super fine apostle" jw. or for most of my life. Life in CA overall is different than other states. Expensive to live here but it's a very nice place to live. Very few rednecks, biggots and "super fine apostles". Good weather, good roads, good geography, and good life style. FL would be my next choice since i love warmer weather.

just saying!

eyeuse2badub

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

Living in FL for 40 plus years I never saw any of the things you all are talking about. All I saw was old people filling the halls. Most of them came in after they worked all their life and was retired telling us younger ones not to send so much time working or buying a house or a new car because the big A was around the corner. After all if you don't have the money to pay cash why are you even thinking about buying it. And to have a child!!! Forget that one. All the old women coming to your wife telling her Woe to the pregnant women in the last days. I did not see partys or any kind of fun. Just a bunch of old miserable people wishing they was young again. Still Totally ADD

• Gypsy Sam
    Gypsy Sam

I should have added, it was the regular pioneer group okay with all the above mentioned events, books, parties etc.

CA is my next choice for where to live. Thebiking and hiking are much better than here in FL :)

Quite true about the type of people you have to choose from as friends, too. Some days South Florida still feels 50 years behind.

• cultBgone
    cultBgone

We were in the Midwest and Baptist South before Florida and yes, it was a culture shock at the hall.

Modesty must stop around Orlando because South Florida is bikinis, short skirts with sandals, and low cleavage. No one thinks twice about it.

Keep in mind, though, that most of the "business" attire in FL is drastically more casual than other areas...short and sandals for guys in the office ain't unusual.

• suavojr
    suavojr

I used to live up in Boston and moving to Florida was a great change. Although it is true they party more and elder's go to live merengue, bachata, salsa concerts etc. You will always find the crazy dubs! The only big difference I see is that as an individual, you have waaaaay more choices of entertainment and if you are fading then you can easily get in trouble.

Just ask confusedandalone and he can tell you how crazy some dubs can be down here.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I don't know about Florida, but I went through culture shock going moving from southern California to Northern Califormia. More parties, more wealthy people, just a bit more permissive in Southern California.

• Hermano
    Hermano

I've lived in MA and FL and have not noticed much difference. Never been to a JW party were things got even close to wild. Perhaps it has to do with particular regions in FL and CA? Perhaps the level of affluence of the region and the congregation?

• cultBgone
    cultBgone

Maybe it has to do with the age of the jws?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit