JWs in Florida and California. Is there really a difference?

by BU2B 18 Replies latest jw friends

• BU2B
    BU2B

I have heard over the years from many different people about how JWs in those states are unlike elsewhere. The parties they have, the way they dress and the permissive attitude. I just heard from a sister that is from Florida, that if you are not "spiritually strong" you will "fall out of the truth" down there. Have you guys heard similiar? Anything to it?

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

I hear of JW sisters in Las Vegas who are super-hot models at car shows. I would have to confirm this myself.. Road trip anyone?! Seriously though, I have grown up hearing those types of things. They sound like scare tactics. Jws are people, and people have issues, no matter where they are from. It does seem like many move to the mid-west to get away from the JW rebellion areas of the U.S.

One funny saying is ," The further you get away from New York, the worse things get." LOL!! I have heard that one a million times!

DD

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

BU2B = atleast in Fl it's true. When I was there those who are not married have 2 choices of association, either fake jws who are more debauched than most 'worldly people' or those whom you can only hang out with if it's in field service because they need to be in bed by 8pm for service on saturday and meeting on sunday, they have to study, or they can't have 'too much fun' and get distracted from more study and service.

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

It is also true in Hawaii. My sister lived there in the 90’s for 8 or so years. There was times when the police were called because the parting was so loud. Lots of drunkenness too. I visited her when I was 13 for 2 months. Every weekend there was a party when I was there. I saw plenty of “over indulgence” among the “faithful witnesses.” Including my then brother-in-law and other elders and MS's in their hall.

• wearewatchingyouman
    wearewatchingyouman

Yes, culture does influence JW's too. Who would have thunk it? In my experience though, NYC witnesses are about the same as those from Southern California and South Florida. I lived in all three places as a kid. Southern California was definitely the most layed back, but everyone did a lot of fun parties, going out etc. etc. etc. in these three spots. In other words it seemed like you were actually allowed to have a little fun and cut loose, to a degree, without being looked down upon. This included dress. You could have a little flare and fashion. Both the males and females. It seems like there was a lot less of this in the mid west and south/central eastern states.

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

Yes I have heard that about Florida and Cali, and I don't even live in the Americas.

• blondie
    blondie

I was told by a Bethelite that the farther a congregation is from NY, the looser they are (but then CA is considered a loose state by non-jws). It is easy for headquarters to send Bethelites to straighten out close congregations and does but sending them to Florida or CA is harder.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

I grew up in da troof in NYC and could relate a few stories also, so, like the scripture my mother used to quote "the flesh is weak" no matter what part of the universe you live in.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Been to bothg states and have friends in both. In California they value thier recreation, they will have get togethers and go to the beach etc after work all the time even during the week and get together after meetings too. Where I'm from the Northwest part of the country most witnesses dont get together much and when they do its mostly on the weekends. Wish I was in Cali.

• Gypsy Sam
    Gypsy Sam

Lol, yes I would say there is a huge difference. I grew up in MA, moved to Florida in the 90's and immediately saw differences. Back home denim skirts, going without nylons, flip flop shoes, tank tops were all frowned up for even book study night. There were huge dance parties regularly held when I moved to Florida. Sometimes there would be a formal event up north, but nothing like the dance parties here. Wearing a one piece to the beach was not typical in SWFL.

Visiting California, I saw the same "liberal" JW attitude. Going back home to see my parents was always a chore as they disapproved of so many of the clothes (that were still modest) that my daughter and I wore.

Witnesses in my area in Florida were very open about reading Harry Potter, going to the movie and seeing Wicked when it was here. I'm not saying everyone in the hall was happy about the lax clothing "rules" or open entertainment ideas, but no one was ever counseled that would have been up north.

Just my experience.

My mom calls Fl Sodom and Gommorah for witnesses. Lol, the couples I was friends with were all okay with not having WT approved bedroom lives and the women had adult toy parties.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit