So close, and yet so far away! A lesson in the meaning of "cognitive dissonance".

by Apognophos 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

The other week we had a public talk by a brother who surprised me and piqued my interest by describing the origin of religion as resulting from a desire for power, and from fear and superstition. He was running with the ball so well, but he tripped and landed on his face before he got to the 20 yard line.

I'm not entirely sure what his thought process was. If I didn't happen to know him, I'd think he was trying to drop a TTATT bomb, but he's way too, well, er, simple-minded to be duplicitous like that. So here was how he started his talk:

'A long time ago, men could not understand the natural world and they sometimes assumed intention where there were just random acts of nature (a drought during the rainy season, etc.). They imagined there were fickle spirits governing the clouds and rivers and their own illnesses. There were certain men who claimed to have answers to how to communicate with and appease these spirits, and sometimes they seemed to be right (he gave an example here of how a certain tribal practice was medically sound even though they didn't understand why it worked). The ones who made a sufficient number of good guesses or had experimented enough using trial and error became witch doctors, shamans, etc.'

Basically, he explained beautifully the idea that the concept of a spirit world actively interfering with our own is based in superstition and ignorance. So, guess what he said next? "Do these false beliefs mean that there actually isn't a spirit world? Not at all. Let's turn to the Bible..." *massive internal facepalm* The logic stopped here so I won't bother to reiterate what came next, and anyway we've all heard it a million times. Suffice to say that he made sure to warn us about those awful fortune cookies. You just know the deemunz are waiting to jump out at you when you crack one of those things open.

--------------------

A lot of you already know this, but cognitive dissonance is when a person holds two contradictory sets of beliefs, or, one could say, two partial belief systems which contradict each other. Knowing that most of mankind's beliefs about the spirit world are based in a combination of fear, ignorance and guesswork, and yet believing that one's own knowledge about the spirit world is somehow an exception to this rule -- that's cogdis in a nutshell.

Another example would be doubling down on your beliefs after a disappointing event that ought to have weakened your faith. I'm shamelessly copying from the WP article here, but:

"[When Prophecy Fails] gives an account of the deepening of cult members' faith following the failure of a cult's prophecy that a UFO landing was imminent. The believers met at a pre-determined place and time, believing they alone would survive the Earth's destruction. The appointed time came and passed without incident. They faced acute cognitive dissonance: had they been the victim of a hoax? Had they donated their worldly possessions in vain? Most members chose to believe something less dissonant to resolve reality not meeting their expectations: they believed that the aliens had given Earth a second chance, and the group was now empowered to spread the word that earth-spoiling must stop. The group dramatically increased their proselytism despite the failed prophecy."

Sound familiar? Unfortunately, experiences like this one, and to a lesser degree, my example of the public talk, demonstrate that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. People believe what they want to believe for a combination of reasons owing to their personality and their circumstances at the time. I suppose the point here, if there is one, is that we need to accept this quirk of human nature. What chance do we have of forcing someone to accept TTATT when our brains can perform such amazing feats of rationalization? That being said, I support the idea of planting seeds that can help someone later to doubt their beliefs if they become predisposed to do so. Anything we can do to help a mind free itself from the Watchtower is worth doing.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

This talk is not in line with the JW way that belief was born. They teach that God revealed himself (in spirit) to humans and later scattered humans and confused their languages and that they retained fractions of their former understanding.

If he wants to say that it was at that point that they developed superstitious ideas based on their poor knowledge of the natural world, it sounds like a way to start accepting evolutionary ideas into their creationistic thoughts.

• jgnat
    jgnat

My new favorite psychologist, Jonathan Haidt, speaks of the elephant and the rider. The elephant is our largely inarticulate but powerful unconscious mind, and the rider, our articulate, reasoning side. When the elephant takes over out of fear or desire, our rational mind, unwilling to admit it is not in control, may make all sorts of reasons why it wanted to go in that direction all along.

I've been using this hypothesis to explain my own motivations and behavior, and have sought ways to commune with my friendly unconscious, to convince the beast towards a more reasonable course.

I like this analogy because what I've read about the unconscious in the past, it seemed deep, dark and mysterious...maybe even sinister. A friendly elephant by comparison I can commune with.

I'd say the WTS uses fear to control its members, and the almost visceral reaction they have to some triggers I would say, is evidence of that. I've spent a good part of my career convincing people to make changes to their work habits. This is a lot tougher than it looks, because people resist change for all sorts of irrational reasons. I have found that the first task is to make the job seem easy, achievable. Baby steps. Nothing threatening at all. A nice, easy change that they will barely feel at all. There, all done. Now that wasn't so bad, was it?

So I think it is possible to sidestep the triggers, to help the person feel at ease, to think little baby thoughts outside of their programming.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

OTWO: Yes, I wish I'd paid closer attention to his first few sentences because I don't know whether he started off by mentioning that mankind started with one true religion and then "lost" it to corrupting influences. I was all prepared to "space out" for the duration of the talk, which was about the dangers of spiritism, until he started talking about the origin of animistic religion. At this point I listened very carefully, and at no time did he mention the demons during this introduction, for instance by saying, "And we know that these ancients were being misled by the demons that they communicated with." He described the origin of religion using purely naturalistic, or psychological, concepts.

Like I said, it was kind of shocking to hear an elder say something like this, but I imagine he's found a way to compartmentalize this true history of religion within an encompassing Bible-based view of religion. In other words, the implications are lost on him even though he's the one giving the talk. He probably just believes that ancient man eventually forgot all about his ancestors Adam and Eve and made things up from scratch.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

jgnat: Yes, I've also tried to get in touch with my subconscious. I'm not sure how successful I've been, but I have tried to make it a habit to examine my motivations, and I often find surprising, embarrassing answers for why I do things, when I'm being honest with myself. Sadly I sometimes still let my subconsious have its way. For instance, I started this topic because I'm supposed to be working on a talk... I know that I'm procrastinating, though I've never figured out why I habitually do that. Maybe I should read about procrastination... yes, that sounds like an excellent way to procrastinate further.

By the way, part of the reason why the shaman in ancient cultures was successful was that nobody questioned his lore. During this talk, the brother mentioned multiple accounts of insane demon attacks, like one woman who lost something like 15 members of her family to one demon. How fortunate that we JWs don't just blindly accept the word of men and propagate urban legends to each other....

• jgnat
    jgnat

I'm more of a mind to allow my subconscious to have its way more often. Like agreeing with the elephant that it is a marvellous time to head down to the watering hole, and we can haul a few logs on the way back home while we are at it.

The old advice to postpone treating myself until the job has done has never worked with my personality. I simply sulk through the task or dig my heels in. Much better is to play, then play at work pretending that is what I wanted to do all along.

I was having trouble writing my annual newsletter this year, likely as the subject is painful and raw. Performance anxiety also was gripping me. Then I remembered that I can write paragraphs with ease, when I am impassioned by the subject and I have a specific audience (usually you guys). So I simply told myself I was writing it for all of you and wrote from my heart. I like what came out, and it wrote itself quickly. Honoring my inner elephant, I think.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Hmm, that's a good suggestion, I'll see if I can "re-frame" the assignment in my head so it's something I can look forward to doing a little more. Unfortunately my talk procrastination has gotten even worse, and the preparation harder, since I stopped believing in the religion, but I'll focus on the things I can still agree with to some extent.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

This sounds like a confused elder who doesn't get the outlline from the borg. Public Talks have been tightened up since I left. They are cardboard boring now, with the occasional loose cannon thrown in. :)

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Suffice to say that he made sure to warn us about those awful fortune cookies. You just know the deemunz are waiting to jump out at you when you crack one of those things open.

What's your fortune, cookie?

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Haha, nice one, Oubliette. I wonder how many JWs were thinking, "Really?" when he warned against fortune cookies. I'm pretty sure most of them read the fortunes.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit