Raised On the Third Day?

by TTATTelder 32 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• TTATTelder
    TTATTelder

I have some potentially controversial questions.

I have always wondered about these things in the back of my mind, but I would immediately dismiss them. Now I am giving myself permission to explore them further...

A lot of attention is given to how big the sacrifice was on the part of Jesus and God when Jesus laid down his life. As the story goes, Jesus gave his life for our sins and then was miraculously raised back to life a couple of days later.

Consider this. Normally, when a parent loses a child, the parent doesn't get the child back 3 days later.

I'm not minimizing the weight of having to watch your child die, but isn't the biggest sting of death the permanance of it? I mean would we be nearly as distraught after a loved one died if we were going to see them again before the end of the week?

We had a talk today at our hall, and the speaker said, "Jehovah takes forgiveness seriously... he gave up his son for it."

My first thought was: but he has his son. He didn't give up his son permanently. He wasn't without him even for a week.

Everyone knew the resurrection was coming 3 days later. It was prophesied. Jehovah knew. Jesus knew. I'm assuming everyone in heaven knew. My point is - everyone knew this whole thing was temporary going in.

I get the balance of justice equation - one perfect man died for good cancled out one perfect man that died for bad. That balances the scales.

It just seems like more of a formality if the whole thing (the sacrifice/death) was reversed 3 days later.

Here are my questions:

Does the fact that Jesus was raised up on the third day water down the whole "sacrifice" part of the story for you?

Am I the only one that has thought this?

• cofty
    cofty

Looking at it from a christian perspective its a good question.

It is really quite a trivial thing to die for 3 days and then go back to being son of god. Crucifiction must have stung a bit, but thousands of others endured the same thing.

I get the balance of justice equation - one perfect man died for good cancled out one perfect man that died for bad. That balances the scales.

I don't want to derail your good point but this part is unique to JW theology. In christian theology Jesus did not die for Adam's sins but as a vicarious punishment for the sins of others.

The Gospel Contrasted With the Watchtower Doctrine of the Ransom..

• cult classic
    cult classic

Nope. You're right. At most, he sacrificed 3 days of human existence. That's it. The other one that gets me is the belief that no one has suffered a worse torture/death than Jesus. Many people have suffered longer and harder than Jesus.

• losingit
    losingit

This doubt that you expressed is one that I've said/ thought from day one. I understand that no father wants to see their child suffer. But, it is as you said, why should I make a big deal out of Jesus' death and suffering if it was FORETOLD. Everyonewas in eexpectation. His sacrifice was minimal in that HE DID REGAIN HIS LIFE.

In summary, I hear you.

• Comatose
    Comatose

Great points. You are using critical thinking skills! Here is one for you ttattelder - Universal sovereignty will be answered because man hasn't ruled himself successfully... EXCEPT man never was given a fair chance. He has had demonic influence the entire time. God intervening, and demons mating with humans, god confusing languages, demons ruling nations and causing wars. At BEST the only question answered is that satan couldn't do it better than god. Man STILL has not had a chance. So NO it has not been answered for us or for heaven On whether or not MAN can rule themselves.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

If a thousand years if as one day to god, what is three days?

• TTATTelder
    TTATTelder

According to my calculations if a human thousand years is like one day to God,

then 3 human days is like 0.7 seconds to God.

good grief

• wearewatchingyouman
    wearewatchingyouman

I don't really understand the logic in Jesus dying as a sacrifice at all. I mean, God already changed the rules for forgiveness of sins when he sacrificed his son. Why not just say - "Okay humans your sins are now forgiven if you ask." Why the need to have his son tortured and murdered. What the hell is that supposed to prove?

• prologos
    prologos

since we all die because A&E could not get back at the "tree of life" without running into the twirling swords that GOD put there,

Did jesus die for the removal of the swords? really?

and other myth from the past? seriously. .

• Island Man
    Island Man

Does the fact that Jesus was raised up on the third day water down the whole "sacrifice" part of the story for you?

Yes it does. You are very right about the permanence of death being its primary character of evilness (for want of a better word). If death were not permanent it would not be death - just a temporary, passing state of stasis. To further illustrate your point, think of 1 Corinthians 15:52-55. According to that passage aren't those raised up from the dead also to be part of the taunt: "Death, where is your victory? Death, where is your sting?” So even though they were dead - some even for many centuries - death loses the victory once they are raised up. Death only wins - only succeeds in its purpose as death - if the dead remain dead for all eternity. Death is supposed to be an eternal condition. (Ecclesiastes 9:6) This is why the resurrection steals its victory according to the taunting words of 1 Corinthians 15:55.

In view of the above, if a redeemer had to truly die a substitionary death to ransom others, he would have to truly die - truly be given to death for all eternity. The three day death of Jesus (more like 1.5 to 1.75 days if you check the biblical timeline of his death and resurrection) is more akin to a benefactor paying off your debt to your creditor and then having the creditor subsequently return the payment to him.

And here's something else to think about: If the wages sin pays is death for a finite period of time (as with Jesus), then why do we even need a ransom? We were all born imperfect and doomed to sin and death owing to, not our own fault as individuals, but that of Adam. Wouldn't it make perfect sense for us all to be given some special consideration due to mitigating circumstances beyond our control? Furthermore could not this special consideration take this form: Let everyone die for the penalty of sin and that settles each individual's debt to sin. (According to the JWs' interpretation of Romans 6:7) Thereafter, each individual could be raised up perfect with the opportunity at everlasting life. For if being dead temporarily (as Jesus was) is all it takes to atone for sin, then each individual can die temporarily for his own sin and with his slate thus cleaned, there can be no legal objection to God giving him a shot at everlasting life like Adam had. The person's past life has essentially been balanced out and he is being created new from the dust even as Adam was originally created from the dust.

Am I the only one that has thought this?

Clearly you're not.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit