Do You Think Anyone Looks Down On People Who Commit "Fornication"?

by minimus 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I most certainly do. It has to with teenage pregnancy. Also, someone with severe genetic disabililties who suffers from them reproducing willy nilly when taxpayers will foot the bill I once knew a schizoprhenic who also had bipolar disorder and a few other brain disorders deciding to have a child. She was incapable of raising it. In fairness to her, her illness blocks judgment area in her brain. I just saw the agony she endured and the thought of further inflicting such an illness on another generation chilled me. Social services had to intervene to constantly monitor the child's progress. She saw herself as heroic. It gave her a feeling of competence. Everyone else was horrified. She would tell me stories of the baby dropping to the floor, etc. My objection is not to the sex per se but to the consequences. There is nothing romantic about a knocked up teenager. Of course, we know teenagers don't have fully developed brains. My anger is with the parents and community for not teaching them to be responsible.

I don't even know how the WTBTs defines fornication anymore. When I was a teen, a Bethelite spokeksperson appeared on a national radio show and there was great controversy about the WT's definition of fornication being different from the dictionary definition. As usual, I was deeply embrassed. There was such a range of topics to discuss and we heard the sex one. Always the sex one. It was so strange to hear a Witness view broadcast in those days. I recall we sat as a family around the transistor radio. It was similar to Newark, NJ being mentioned on a news program broadcast from NYC. During the riots, we freaked to see downtown burning on national TV.

I don't celebrate sex now. Well, there are grounds for celebration now. The 1960s love everyone with no responsibililty did not work out well for society. AIDS is an ever present reality. What people do in the privacy of their homes is none of my business. Society has become more tolerant in a few decades. God can take it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit