Have JWs and other Christians completely missed the point of Matthew 24:4-8?

by Island Man 23 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

Yadda:

Is that book still available somewhere?

Wait - I should have asked, 'Is it available as a PDF?'

Just checking online for the paper book I see prices ranging from 40+ used to 200+ new.

Incidentally, my view is based on the idea that Jesus' answer to the first of the questions in Matthew 24:3 is covered in 24:4-35, with the 'this generation will not pass away until . . .' passage forming a sort of summary that ties back to "this generation" of 23:36.

Just as a side thought, which I'm still mulling over, but I think the "sword stroke" of Rev 13:3 is referring to the same event called "the year of the four emperors" of 68-69 AD (which I believe is described in Mt 24:29 and Luke 21:25, 26.) The book "69 AD: The Year of the Four Emperors" (see here) described the 18 month event as the greatest cataclysm the Roman empire had sustained up till that time. Luke 21:25, 26 aptly describes it, especially considering that "inhabited earth" (Greek oikoumene) became virtually synonamous with the Roman Empire. (Cmp Luke 2:1)

At any rate, that's getting a little off topic. But if you know of a downloadable PDF of Carl's work I'd appreciate a link.

Take Care

• maccauk11
    maccauk11

ALL endtime churhces havemissed the point. THose prophecies and revelation were about the destruction of jerusalem and the temple in 70ad. THose 1st centuryfollowers were fully expecting him to return and he did.He did not lie or misled themfor example he said to themstanding right in fornt of him "truly itell you, some of you standing here will not die until you see the son of mancoming inhis KIngdom etc. All prophecy was about a 1st cnetruy fullfillment one generation. THe churches and organisations have mislead for centuries. The KIngodmisalready established, deathisno morefor those who beleive in The Messiah. It is spiritual and the true churhc is the onenot made by human hands cannot be seen or touched and there is no physicla representation of it one arth. All we ahv eto do is enter in to the Kingdom through Christ. We ahv eno need oy anyone to teach us anytihng.THe 1st cnetruy beleivers were told in advancewhat was coming "when you see jerusalem surrounded" was another warning givne to them by jesus and iw as by the roman army. If we study what happened you will see all prohecies were fulfilled. Check outmy youtube channel i have over 200 videos refuting ALL end time claims and teachings by modern churches not using my words but the very owrds of The Messiah and the APostles. my youtube channel is called seekchristonly. Knowing this and researching it will set you free form the emotional, physchological indoctrination by men in all churhces to keep you going back and paying tithes

• JakeM2012
    JakeM2012

After reading the original post link, I wonder the possibility of this becoming new light from WTBTS? and then they could claim that we've seen all this so we must be nearer than imminent.

• Fernando
    Fernando

Thanks for posting the link to the article Island Man.

Truly fascinating what one misses when reading with Watchtower (doomsday cult) goggles on.

Interesting too that the Message Bible shares this perspective. Thanks JeffT.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit