Have JWs and other Christians completely missed the point of Matthew 24:4-8?

by Island Man 23 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Island Man
    Island Man

Many people think those verses are suggesting that the wars, earthquakes, food shortages, etc are all a sign that the end is imminent. However, a careful examination of the context seems to suggest that Jesus was actually forewarning his followers not to draw such a conclusion from such events. See this interesting article on the subject:

http://meletivivlon.com/2012/12/18/wars-and-reports-of-wars-a-red-herring/

• TTATTelder
    TTATTelder

Very interesting. Thanks for posting.

I love that site.

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

To ask whether anyone missed the point, one must know the point as a reference.

What makes your reference any better than anyone elses?

• Island Man
    Island Man

Rattigan350:

To ask whether anyone missed the point, one must know the point as a reference.

What makes your reference any better than anyone elses?

From the context, it is apparent that the point of Matthew 24:4-8, was to caution his disciples against drawing wrong conclusions about the imminence of the end based on natural and social upheavals. Cautioning his followers against being misled by premature proclamations of the end, was clearly uppermost on Jesus' mind when answering his followers. What makes my reference better? It more accurately harmonizes with the entire context of Matthew 24 and recorded history (In case you haven't noticed, great earthquakes, wars, food shortages, pestilences, etc have all been relatively ubiquitous recurring incidences for many centuries now and yet the supposed end that they're supposed to portend (according to the traditional interpretation of those verses) has not occurred yet)

• JeffT
    JeffT

There is a Bible translation called "The Message" which really captures this aspect of Jesus' comments. It also emphasizes his point not to go following anybody that claims to be the Messiah or His messenger. This translation makes it clear that ANY such claim will be false.

• caroline77
    caroline77

I have always thought it was referring to AD70. The Romans massacred a lot of the Jewish population of Israel and the rest were sold into slavery. There were so many slaves that no-one wanted them and a lot died. Those that did flee to the hills survived in remote areas.

The parable of the fig tree is more significant for today.

• pixel
    pixel

What gets me is the part of the "earhquakes". How about hurricanes? Earth needs earthquakes because is a living planet. So, earthquakes are natural.

• PelicanBeach
    PelicanBeach

Island Man,

I agree that the wars etc, were only the beginning of distress and not the "sign" of Jesus presence. Jesus himself indicated what the sign was later in the same chapter: "And then the sign of the Son of Man will appear in the sky, and then all the tribes of the earth will mourn, and they will see the SON OF MAN COMING ON THE CLOUDS OF THE SKY with power and great glory." Matthew 24:30

Pelican

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

The Greek word 'seismos' which is translated "earthquakes", literally means "a shaking, a commotion, a tempest, an earthquake."

So take your pick - was Jesus speaking of literal earthquakes, or other types of stormy events?

When Jesus was in the boat during the tempest, 'seismos' was used to describe that stormy situation. (Matt. 8:24)

• Londo111
    Londo111

Matthew 24:6-7 are part of the non-sign.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit