Today's Daily Text is a Convoluted Mess

by TTATTelder 31 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• TTATTelder
    TTATTelder

Here it is:

Wednesday, December 11

His heart did not prove to be complete with Jehovah.—1 Ki. 11:4.

Will we let Solomon’s course be a warning example for us? (1 Ki. 11:1-6) A sister might attempt to rationalize forming a romantic link that ignores God’s directive to marry “only in the Lord.” (1 Cor. 7:39) With similar rationalizing, one might share in extracurricular sports or clubs at school, underreport taxable income, or tell untruths when asked to reveal actions that could be embarrassing. The point is, Solomon must have used imperfect reasoning to get around what God commanded, and that same danger exists for us. Solomon had ignored God’s instructions, yet there is no indication that Jehovah quickly rejected him as king or strongly disciplined him. The Bible even relates that God granted his request for wisdom, and He also added riches. (1 Ki. 3:10-13) That accords with the fact that God realizes that we are imperfect humans, made from dust. (Ps. 103:10, 13, 14) Remember though: Our actions can have consequences now or perhaps down the line. w11 12/15 1:10, 14, 15

What does this stuff mean? It just goes around in circles.

"Don't you be bad like Solomon...of course he didn't catch any flack for it...er...he actually got a bunch of blessings...uh...but don't you do it....you could catch hell for it...pretty sure."

What do you guys think? Seriously. Is this bad writing , bad management, somebody intentionally writing crap, or am I missing something?

• Terry
    Terry

I imagine those poor writers sitting before a blank page, and having to think up 365 of those gems, must go a bit bonkers after a bit.

The text, as it is, gives one the impression you can get away with something.

And guess what? You CAN!

But, first you have to get away from the Kingdom Hall and the mind police elders.

In all the years I was a JW I never could stomach Daily Text rituals. It just isn't in me to read somebody else's Hallmark card sentiments.

• pixel
    pixel

The point was: Don't share in extracurricular sports or clubs at school. Because the FDS/WT/GB says so.

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

"or tell untruths when asked to reveal actions that could be embarrassing" - The GB and legal department need to read that text.

• steve2
    steve2

There are those who write the daily texts and then there are those who read them. I, for my part, neither write nor read them for the texts have a high likelihood of doing in one's normal thinking processes. Rather than Solomon's, I invite you to emulate my worthy example.

• bats in the belfry
    bats in the belfry

The key to that convoluted mess is here:

(...) there is no indication that Jehovah quickly rejected him as king or strongly disciplined him.

Take your pick at what you can do without divine punishment.

• adamah
    adamah

TTATTElder said-

What do you guys think? Seriously. Is this bad writing , bad management, somebody intentionally writing crap, or am I missing something?

Holy Hades!

I'm voting for 'shoddy writing', since it botches the time-frame of events: Solomon asked for an extra dollop of wisdom as a child, and NOT AFTER he turned his back on Jehovah as an adult.

So even despite being supposedly blessed with great wisdom as a child (and later, blessed with great material riches of a King), Solomon still came up short as an adult by choosing to marry "foreign women" who led him to worship foreign Gods (Chemosh and Molech).

Here's where it goes astray:

Solomon had ignored God’s instructions, yet there is no indication that Jehovah quickly rejected him as king or strongly disciplined him. The Bible even relates that God granted his request for wisdom, and He also added riches. (1 Ki. 3:10-13) That accords with the fact that God realizes that we are imperfect humans, made from dust. (Ps. 103:10, 13, 14)

And can you say 'non sequitor' by dragging Psalms into that mess as if it helps the scripture twisting?

Even the correct chronological reading would've been more in keeping with the desired message the author was trying to convey.

However, it's discombobulated as it stands, and it would be interesting to watch whoever has to deal with that mess tap-dance around the flawed reasoning presented to resolve the dissonance of an obvious error.

• bats in the belfry
    bats in the belfry

I imagine those poor writers sitting before a blank page, and having to think up 365 of those gems, must go a bit bonkers after a bit.

For some time I am under the impression the Writing Dept. employs the software "Daily Text Random Generator v2.1"

• Frazzled UBM
    Frazzled UBM

Or is the subtext that the WBTS through the years 'used imperfect reasoning when holding itself as appointed to act as Jah's mediator because we are imperfect humans but Jah has forgiven us and you should too'? Thoughts?

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

The Bible even relates that God granted his request for wisdom,

Well isn't that wonderful.. God made a special allowance to let a human be wise. You can't make up this stuff... I mean.. to think that God wouldn't simply make humans as wise as possible. Our invisible man in the sky is truly a great engineer.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit