Has anyone else gotten rid of their TV?

by NewYork44M 17 Replies latest social entertainment

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

We have not had a TV for about 2 years. And even befor this we did not have cable and spent very little time in front of the tv. That does not mean that we are anti entertainment. We subscribe to Netflix which our 6 year old watches continuously on an iPad. Or at least when she is not doing her homework.

Because our daughter has always gottern her entertainment through the internet, she does not understand the concept of comercials. She also has control of her entertainment, which is a very different experience when I grew up.

Have others experienced this? I quit tv for a lot of reasons and am essentially happy with the decision.

• Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

We use the dvr a lot! I'm all about passing by the commercials too. My husband records lots of sports events and granddaughter schedules a lot of shows weekly. I mostly watch reruns of old sitcoms and the Daily Show. We all love tv, and the internet too.

• humbled
    humbled

I haven't had one for years. When raising the kids we rarely had one. I like some things about TV but it is way too seductive for me to have around. And we never bought an adapter when everything changed over.....too broke/cheap to buy a new set.

I don't miss it--but I wish I could have watched the celebration of Mandela's life that was on today. O well....

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I seldom watch television, as most things I want to watch I can watch on the internet. I have netflix, too.

• smiddy
    smiddy

I have TIVO and record shows I want to watch and I can fast fwd commercials which I hate. I also have a source that gives me movies on disc , TV shows and movies also without ads.That is now , and we are in our early 70`s , and of course we have the internet.

Many years ago when the kids were little we did give up our TV for a few years , we gave it to another" brother " I wonder what became of them , a young couple with a heap of kids , in appreciation for his working on a car I had bought for my wife , it cost us $200 , it was blowing smoke,and he did the rings for me. A Morris - mini ? This would have been in the 70`s I would think.

We wouldnt give up our TV now

smiddy

• Bruja-del-Sol
    Bruja-del-Sol

We've still got our television set, but we only watch things we've downloaded from the internet or things we've got on DVD, like concerts and movies and nice youtube videos. We are not connected to any cable or satellite provider.

I also download Dutch programs from the Dutch stations to watch every now and then and some old series I used to watch years ago. We don't watch every day.

And yes, it's great to not have to see all those commercials!

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

The traditional tv set as the center of attention appears to be going away. It is far to restrictive considering the upgraded in tecnology and viewing options. With technology every family member can have their own device and watch what they want and when they want. I subscribe to several services (i.e. Netflix and MLB) and pay a fraction of what I would with cable.

• designs
    designs

We have tv now but for years we didn't and didn't miss it either.

• blondie
    blondie

Someone at work said they had no tv

What they meant was

They watched all their tv shows on their computer

Just curious do you get your local, national, and international news on the computer too? Hard copy?

• KateWild
    KateWild

Adverts are annoying. You have a point I may consider this. We never watch live TV anyway. Kate xx

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit