Has anyone else gotten rid of their TV?

by NewYork44M 17 Replies latest social entertainment

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

Blondie, I subscribe to (hard copy and internet) the New York Times and the Financial Times. You can get national news via CNN.com or many others. And of course I have the watchtower and awake to keep me abreast of what is important.

I have really lost interest in watching sitcoms and what is on the TV. I rarely watch movies. My daughter is the one who uses Netflix. There are a lot of very good age specific videos available - she loves Curious George and Dinosaur Train for example and will watch the same episodes over and over. I read an article related to Netflix's strategy - I think they have strategized perfectly to capture the audience, like my daughter, who will be a Netflix customer for life.

• blondie
    blondie

I tape everything too, Kate, to miss the adverts, even public television during the fund raising gets annoying. We see about 4 movies a year in the theater and a few during the free days of Directv. But I'm a tv baby, grew up with tv at home, didn't know what radio was. But then I don't walk around with ear buds listening to music as I cross the street or on a cellphone (or equivalent) walking down the sidewalk into other people. I watch people in the lunchroom appearing to talk to themselves the whole time...yes there is a person on the end I guess. They never talk to anyone at work, weird, weird. There are 2 women who text each other because they don't want anyone to overhear their conversation, I guess it works.

I find that many people are glued into those (watching "tv" even). I guess it is just how people define it.

I still read hard copy books and newspapers. I love the feel of paper, like Kirk and Jean-Luc.

• truthhurts13
    truthhurts13

No tv and no radio. Tired of all the frequencies affecting my mood adversely

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

I am not a person to the extreme in anything. So not gotten rid of the TV just greatly reduced the viewing. Some shows are good and entertaining. Some are informative. But mostly I read read read. The young one watches some but mostly plays outdoors with friends or plays dolls , writes, makes art etc inside. Husband has no time for TV, very rarely watches, but is entranced by it like a drug when passing by one that is one. It is really amazing, scary, but also funny to watch. He literally stops all movement and stares at the screen until someone alerts him. Usually that would be me turning the TV off to bring him out of that trance! haha

• fresh prince of ohio
    fresh prince of ohio

Most advertising is annoying but, there are some very funny ads too. Like the Sonic guys, and the Mayhem guy for Allstate insurance. Now Sam Elliott commercials (Coors, Dodge Trucks) - the mute button comes in handy for those.

TV is my company outside of work, unfortunately.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I get my news online too, BBC online for international, and our local paper has an online site, too.

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

We are TV watchers. and have been all our lives. However, we subscribe to the basic package that the Satellite companies have to offer. The problem with watching your favourite programs on the internet, is, that you have to wait an extra day to watch it as it gets released by the networks.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Wow ! No tv ! I am a child of the 50's - 70' s, can' t imagine not havng one. In my day parents just put the kids in front of tge set, now kids supposedly need crafts to keep them busy. SMH at the many aspects of chld rearing these days

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit