Governing Body member Sam Heard at our Assembly

by problemaddict 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• problemaddict
    problemaddict

Nice enough gentleman. The parts were pretty watered down. Many of the people giving parts I have known for quite a while and to see them in the role of giving assembly parts was kind of hilarious. We are kind of scraping the bottom in some instances I would say.

He seems younger than he is. Its my understanding he is over 80. His final talk was about 1 hr 20 min. Alot of pauses, and he knew how to work the crowd. Many would describe him as "funny".

It was asically the same ole same ole, but there were 4 interesting things that were said directly from his mouth that were interesting enough to share. Definitly "off script" because he wasn't looking down at the time. The analogies these guys come up with are sometimes painful.

1) In trying to say we need to take opportunities to preach he told the following "scenario". A woman sits next to you on the bus, and you have a tract and she seems friendly. You are hesitant because you are scared, but just that morning she was asking God (she doesn't know Jehovah so just asking a God), why he took her baby grandaughter from her. The preacher said God wanted another flower in his garden but that didn't sit right. Why is there injustice? what does it all mean? Well guess what. An angel heard that prayer, and sat her right next to you (makes pop sound and points), because you are a witness for Jehovah! Well angels don't make mistakes, but if you don't speak up I guess they kind of made a mistake putting her next to you (him and everyone laughs).

So besides being a bit bizarre, I didn't realize angels heard prayers? (maybe she was praying out loud?) Also I didn't realize angels manipulated the mundane acts of human being to get them to meet, and didn't make mistakes. All kind of interesting.

2) Weird analogy. Kid says he is ready to go. Mom asks him if he is ready.....did he clean off all the dirt? Kid is sure. Yeah mom! So she looks behind the ears and what does she see?......dirt. So she sends him back and tells him where to clean. So sometimes we think we are ready don't we? Come on and bring on Armaghedon!! But Jehovah sees we aren't ready and he just says "I don't want to kill all those people" (bro Heard and the entire place laugh while he says this). But hes telling us to get cleaned up.

3) He has a thing with being late to meetings. The occasional car accident, or flat tire in the rain is one thing. But if you are late all fo the time...why? The elder says "Oh sister its so good you were able to make it!".......because he is nice and all that. But really, you are disrupting the meeting. Its not like you ould be disfellowshipped for being late, but try to show some respect. (He mentioned the joke about being disfellowshipped for beign late twice)

So that is it. Generally nice and warm as far as a speaker goes. But shades of an older man with personal issues that make it hard. He prayed for the brothers and sisters in the Phillipines (not the others), and for Mark Sanderson who is there to bring comfort to them.

• steve2
    steve2

Oh Brother Heard, we've heard it all before. And we even heard it before that earlier time too. You are yesterday's news dressed up as lovely and funny and sweet...nothin'.

My maternal grandmother (died: 1972) could put the loveliest spin on Armageddon not yet arriving: Jehovah cares about saving worldly people. Even back then, there was an awareness that the promised end had still not arrived. Meanwhile, the more it delays, silly Brother Heard, the more people drop out, prime targets for destruction during Armageddon. So much for Jehovah caring.

The jokes about being disfellowshipped for lateness of arriving at meetings are rich, coming from an organization that specializes in lateness: The end isn't quite here yet, but it's coming......

Brother Heard, forget punctuality at meetings. How about punctuality of the end coming?!

• notjustyet
    notjustyet

Angels do too make mistakes.

That one that was wrestling with Jacob in the bible should have put him a half Nelson, arm bar or even choked him out instead of tapping out at the end.

That is when I knew wrestling was rigged.

NJY

• Black Man
    Black Man

Ha! This thread made me chuckle!

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

"Well angels don't make mistakes"

I guess he didn't read the part of Genesis where the angels came down to breed with women. If I were a woman, I'd be kinda creeped out to think that angels were listening to my prayers... and watching me in the shower.

"Jehovah sees we aren't ready and he just says "I don't want to kill all those people""

Oh yes he does. Anybody that's read the bible knows that god is ready, willing, and able to slaughter... including all the children and animals. To suggest that armageddon hasn't come because "we aren't ready" is trying to cover up that they are 100% false prophets.

"He has a thing with being late to meetings."

Maybe if the material was worth showing up for, the sheeple wouldn't be late all the time. My solution to arriving late? Don't go at all!

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

You got to be kidding. If that was the highlight I cannot imagine how mind-numbing the other 1 hour and 19 minutes were.

• Heartofaboy
    Heartofaboy

I agree NY44M

• Zoos
    Zoos

Message recieved. Dangle the "disfellowship" word over whatever behavior you wish to control.

And did he just insinuate that Armageddon hasn't come because the JWs aren't clean enough yet? Not quite ready? I didn't realize the date and time was fluid.

Nice share, Problem.

• blondie
    blondie

JUST REPORTING, NOT SUPPORTING WTS DOCTRINE

I was told by my mother and other jws that the angels heard our prayers on earth and conveyed them to God. Evidently only God sends messages to human on earth.

So how does God hear prayers, remember the WTS teaches that Jesus does not hear prayers but is only an impersonal conduit to God.

*** w10 10/1 pp. 6-7 3 How? ***

Here is yet another essential aspect of how to pray. Jesus said: “No one comes to the Father except through me.” (John 14:6) So Jesus is the means of our approach to the Father, Jehovah. Thus, Jesus told his followers to pray in his name. (John 14:13; 15:16) That does not mean that we should pray to Jesus. Rather, we pray in the name of Jesus, remembering that Jesus is the reason that we are able to approach our perfect and holy Father.

*** g 11/10 p. 21 Is It Appropriate to Pray to “Saints”? ***

Of Jesus the Bible says: “He is able also to save completely those who are approaching God through him, because he is always alive to plead for them.” (Hebrews 7:25) In other words, Jesus can serve as the sympathetic Intercessor in behalf of those who ‘approach God through him.’ This does not mean that we should pray to Jesus and that he will forward our prayer on, as it were. Rather, it means that we pray to God in the name of Jesus, thus acknowledging his authority

*** bh chap. 17 p. 173 Draw Close to God in Prayer ***

WHAT THE BIBLE TEACHES

Regularly praying to Jehovah helps us to draw closer to him.—James 4:8.

▪ For our prayers to be heard by God, we must pray in faith and with humility and sincerity.—Mark 11:24.

▪ We must pray only to Jehovah through his Son.—Matthew 6:9; John 14:6.

Jehovah, the “Hearer of prayer,” uses his angels, his earthly servants, his holy spirit, and his Word to answer prayers.—Psalm 65:2.

*** w04 4/1 p. 32 Should We Call Upon Angels for Help? ***

Among the duties of angels is the conveying of messages from God to humans. In fact, the original Hebrew and Greek words translated “angel” literally mean “messenger.” However, angels do not serve as intercessors who bring human prayers to the throne of the Most High. God has determined that prayers be addressed to him in the name of his Son, Jesus Christ, who said: “No matter what you ask the Father in my name he might give it to you.”—John 15:16; 1 Timothy 2:5.

*** it-1 p. 106 Angel ***

Then there is the great body of angelic messengers who serve as a means of communication between God and man.

• besty
    besty

http://www.census.gov/popclock/

Ye - Jehovah prefers to wait another day and kill an extra 200,000 people...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit