Have you put on the "New Personality" ?

by Phizzy 35 Replies latest jw experiences

• ADJUSTMENTS
    ADJUSTMENTS

It was like being a robot, my feelings were not natural but put on and acted. I struggled with being myself and being a JW programmed robot. It is mental anguish trying to suppress your true feelings with enforced feelings, and leads to depression because you know who you are but you are taught and required to be a robot at all times!!! SMH! I remember some brothers and sisters who truly embraced this robot personality, and were the same ones to shunn you if you didn't embrace it as much. I guess you would call them the over zealous or self righteous robot.

Pizzy you gave me a great idea for a new post! Thanks!

• Legacy
    Legacy

HI,

Most witnesses put on the new personality while in the hall, & then drap it around their shoulders when they leave, but when they come back, it's still draped so that anytime they want to come out of character, they can snatch that bad boy new personality off & let you have it...

I have a good natured personality...so most of my congregation can't figure out how they fixed me...& they didn't...God did...Witnesses can't help folks who are a little crooked, you got to be really messed up...

Legacy

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

That "new personality" is actually designed to help joke-hova to make you its slave. You are not to have any feelings outside the party line, and if some dingbat wishes to criticize it or correct you just for the sake of correcting you, you are also supposed to adjust to that. Whatever is fun and enjoyable is supposed to be detested.

Instead of seeking joke-hova, these days I prefer going along with nature. No, that doesn't mean taking and selling drugs that ruin your brain and your liver. But, I am going to do things without regard to the washtowel, or even what is in the LIE-ble itself because the whole paradigm is communist. For instance, my money is mine to keep and spend as I see fit, not to throw away on donations because the congregation just bled its funds to the parent organization and now needs it to pay its bills. If I feel like having loads of small LEDs in a million colors, I will do so. And I will do all I feel like to learn astrology and the occult, whether or not joke-hova likes it.

• Miss.Fit
    Miss.Fit

I know I spe second guyt? Uessing myself. I was scared to death of doing something"that would make Jehovah sad" or bringing "reproach" on God"s organization or his name. I am trying to retrain myself to follow my instincts and not look over my shoulder.

• gorgia2
    gorgia2

Aggghhhh! That flippin' New Personality - I never got it right! As a teenager, I'm sure I must've heard that command every Sunday; it was like a stone in my shoe. How exactly was I supposed to 'put it on'?

My parents were desperate for me to get it right but I suspected it was a rather phoney idea - not to mention the fact that those JDubs' New Personalities I observed weren't at all like the desired New Personality traits spouted from their bibles.

gorgia

• rawe
    rawe

Hi Phizzy,

"For born-ins like me this is really quite a task, we do not have a "Pre-cult" personality to "recover"."

Yup, very true! For me apart of this is acknowledging that part of my personality is shaped by my JW upbringing. This is then followed by further development after leaving the faith. For example, I continue to enjoy reading the Bible, despite being an atheist. Certainly this Bible interest stems from my JW background -- but I don't see that bit as huge negative.

Cheers,

-Randy

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Similar for me Randy, I still study the Bible, or about the Bible, and this must come from my past. I now have a similar fascination with other old texts that have come down to us, so have expanded my view.

Not all of the things I picked up during my JW life were bad by any means. Mum and dad taught me that mankind was a brotherhood, so I have never been racist or nationalistic. They also taught me to respect all kinds of people, regardless of background and status.

As I grew up though I still had to contend with the "us and them" attitude that is instilled by the cult, the fear of "worldly" people, this soon left me completely when I left, and all my adult life I always felt more comfortable in the company of real, normal people rather than JW's.

But I do feel that all of us who have left the cult need to get rid of any hangover from it, and develop our real personality now we are out.

That is the "new personality" that I am referring to, a genuine post-cult one.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I swear that whole "new personality" thing, and the idea that our true home is in heaven, comes straight from the greek philosophers. They saw true life as being harmonious, mathematical, perfect. Any anomalies were part of the imperfect earth. Paul (whom I swear had some greek education) encouraged Christians to anticipate their perfect, new home to come and that this earth is merely a shadow (Plato). Witnesses transferred this concept to a perfect earth, of course, where lions, tigers and bears are transformed in to cuddle creatures.

I've embraced our earthy nature and all the imperfections that come with that. Never a Witness, but my natural personality was beat out of me by my ex-husband. After I left him, I had a crisis of identity, feeling like a series of masks with nothing left behind it. It was a slow rebuilding process where I got in touch with my true emotions, my interests, what I liked and disliked, who I am. I had a similar but a less drastic crisis of identity when my children were grown. I'd subsumed my interests for a time while I poured all I was in to raising my children.

So, because of my history, I celebrate being real. It's a gift when you have it. Which is why I am convinced that everyone has a natural identity, no matter how they were raised.

I think this rebuilding of identity is separate from whatever moral foundation you have set up. Though this can be personalized too.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I was not a born in, but I converted while still young (13), so for me it has been quite a journey. Being older (45) when I left, I felt no need or desire to do all the things I wasn't allowed to as a dub, so in many ways I am the same, I try to be an honest, kind, law abiding person, that has not changed.

I started doing some things right away that JWs are not allowed to, like the holidays, R rated movies, voting, etc, because I no longer feel they are wrong.

It took me years to see how the Watchtower teachings interacted with my own personality in ways that were not beneficial I never really felt like I was good enough, I had a lot of guilt and low self esteem, and that is something I am still working on. The same with the black and white thinking that is so much a part of of the religion.

I am very much a work in progress.

• KateWild
    KateWild

Well I was a brazen woman before and after baptism. I still speak my mind now, but I am trying to make it more palatable. Yes a work in progress. Also I want a career again, work in progress too. Goals are good, they help us move on. Kate xx

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit