There's a little Houdini in all of us

by freeflyingfaerie 16 Replies latest jw friends

• freeflyingfaerie
    freeflyingfaerie

As I responded to an earlier post it occured to me that those of us who have been in the religion for any length of time are like Harry Houdini, the illusionist.

We willingly (for those that chose to really believe the lies) bound ourselves in chains.

We always had the opportunity to releaase ourselves...it was all an illusion...an illusion that we played along with. But the option to end the mental confinement was always within our power.

Going door to door we must have looked like a freak show to others. We put ourselves in a glass cage in chains, as a "spectacle",...in which we were unwittingly frauds, because the whole time we could have gotton free.

That's all for now..

• Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

I don't know. Mental control can certainly disable the will. The WT is expert at it. Humans need attention and recognition and approval, to an extent. Removal of all that is frightening and paralyzing.

The thing that starts the gears moving is some sort of cognitive dissonance, like when they pee on your leg and tell you it's raining. Then you begin to see your options, and the programming begins to fail.

Marina

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

As I look back now, the most regrettable and frightening part of fostering the illusion is that as a parent of 4 terriffic children, who are now parents themselves, I was responsible for them being JW's today. I indoctrinated them well as did my mother for her children. I offered them NO option--the JW way or the highway. In other words, I was a 'good' spiritual head in JWism. I'm serving up tidbits of ttatt to them now and hope they wil break the chains many decades before I saw the light!

eyeuse2badub

• cofty
    cofty

it was all an illusion...an illusion that we played along with

I aggree with you fff. It was also something that victims of Soviet communism realised in retrospect.

" we got so used to this second opinion lurking in our own heads that we considered it our own" - Gunter Kunert

We played along with our own oppression..

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I was going to say "Can you imagine the type of people that would be positively responsive to those weirdos at their front door?"

But really, we were all at the Kingdom Hall. We know. Many of us were them. Some are not as weird as others, leave it at that.

A better question is, "Can you imagine God destroying billions of people because they did not respond positively to those weirdos at the door?"

Oh, it's easy to look at JW's at the door now that we are out. And what do ya see? We all live our lives in chains, and we never even knew we had the key.

• peggy
    peggy

I still drive in neighborhoods and have flash backs of knocking on those doors. I sometimes even remember the person that answered the door. I can take you to the doors of those I studied with, thankfully none of which became JWs. Of my three children, one is still fully in. I am thankful that she does not shun me. None of these memories will ever go away, they are my history. Only this community, JWN can understand it. Breaking the chains was the BEST accomplishment of my LIFE! Peg

• adamah
    adamah

FFF said-

We willingly (for those that chose to really believe the lies) bound ourselves in chains. We always had the opportunity to releaase ourselves...it was all an illusion...an illusion that we played along with. But the option to end the mental confinement was always within our power.

Interesting analogy, as individuals need to accept their culpability for keeping themselves in the group, since JWs are a GROUP that exerts power through membership. Think of all the groups out there, whether political parties, street gangs, knitting clubs, Kiwanis, etc: all exert power over their members to varying degrees via certain pressure (whether paying membership dues, or under threat of death, etc).

It's always easy to scapegoat the unnamed "they" who held you in against your will (typically the GB, elders, etc) but the point is that EVERY individual member's presence in the group contributes to the collective power OF the group, since every person is a "THEY" to someone else in the group, too. Humans cannot read thoughts, and even if they have internal doubts, they look around the KH and see all the faces of those who's association they stand to lose if DFed. You don't even have to actually shun someone to be guilty of supporting the JWs, since by your very presence you are sending a tacit unspoken message to the others.

People try to absolve themselves of guilt by saying they didn't shun anyone who was DFed, or tried to be kind, etc, but that completely ignores the point that they nevertheless were a card-carrying member OF the JWs, and while you may not have done the group's dirty work by serving as the "stick", you were the "carrot", the one who used your powers of charisma and charm to encourage the person to stay in. Nevertheless, you were still a member of the group.

The ONLY way to break the dysfunctional cycle of the WTBTS that many individuals are trapped in is by voting with your feet: despite personal cost, simply don't play the dysfunctional game. It's really that simple (and yet that hard, since don't expect a mass exodus of others deciding to take personal responsibility for their actions, and quit engaging in post-hoc rationalizations to justify them).

Cofty said- It was also something that victims of Soviet communism realised in retrospect. "we got so used to this second opinion lurking in our own heads that we considered it our own" - Gunter Kunert

A tad extreme, comparing the Soviet Union totalitarian regime to the JWs?

Last I checked, the JWs can't declare an apostate an enemy of the State and have them executed by firing squad. Anyone who's visited Berlin before the Wall came down remembers the East German border guards manning the guard towers armed with machine guns, given orders to shoot to kill anyone who attempted to escape to the West (and many died trying).

But sure, the psychological control mechanisms are similar, just that the USSR didn't have to stop there: if they didn't like someone's thoughts, they could exercise the ultimate form of thought control, using a bullet to the head.

• freeflyingfaerie
    freeflyingfaerie

Iown Mylife~ So true that it is frightening and can be paralyzing to think of what can be lost in the act of leaving. And exactly, as you said, beginning to see that you have options is what I refer to. We got ourselves into the JW mess...but people can get themselves out, too.

use2b~ you and so many of us had really tied ourselves up good, with lots of locks and nice and tight...believing we would be secure. Then we realized being mentally chained isn't what we wanted...then began the hard work of breaking free of it all little by little..

cofty~ that is so interesting...that our thinking processes are so complex that we can have simultaneous conflicting streams of thought, they eventually have to converge if there is to be any peace of mind...so something is always dominant, and something is rationalized or suppressed or we may just simply change our mind about it..something to ease the discomfort of conflicting ideas. We have the ability to fool ourselves to a certain degree. But, somehow, our mind knows better. On some level we know we are creating a web of support for that belief that doesn't belong there in the first place. Like scar tissue around a prosthetic or transplant or implant. The body knows it's not natural..sometimes it is rejected, other times the body just builds a capsule of safety around it..but the body always knows.

OTWO~ "we never even knew we had the key"

peggy~ that's great that your daughter doesn't shun you. Yes, that history is unchangeable...the beauty is that we don't have to live in the past anymore.

adam~ I see what you mean...I feel that those who have become members of the JW have ,link by link (through tedious indoctrinization), wrapped themselves in heavy chains. We did it with our own hands. And we did it in harmony with the messages and instructions we were constantly given. And if we were especially good listeners, our chains were wrapped especially snug. The instruction-givers are responsible (which includes already indoctrinated ministers, already bound) and then we were each also responsible for listening. But I don't blame those of us who truly thought we were doing a good thing by living that way. I don't want to look at it that way. I do think those that know better share some guilt (even though I understand how diffidult peer pressure and loss of family can be..And for those with no one to lose...I have no respect).

Taking responsibility by reflecting on how certain choices we each made as individuals led to certain results can help in the healing process. It can help us realize that the choices we make today can bring us further from the dysfunction and to move forward..with hopefully good results

• Miss.Fit
    Miss.Fit

FFF: I like the way you illustrated your point. It has made me think. You are so right...it is an illusion.

I lived under the illusion I had freedom....freedom from fear (no hell). Freedom from a heavy load (not a lot of unscriptual regulations.)

Free will.

The chains were invisible. I could not understand why I had such a hard time breaking away.

I think you have to see the chains first before you can even think about using the key.

This site has really made me rethink everything I thought I knew. I never realized how much fear I was really chained up in.

• freeflyingfaerie
    freeflyingfaerie

Hi Miss Fit, good to hear from you~ sooo true....'you have to see the chains first before you can even think about using the key'... try to take an aerial view of our life, step back, be honest... and get access to accurate information.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit