Interview at work

by Kool Jo 12 Replies latest jw experiences

• Kool Jo
    Kool Jo

I conducted an interview for a job last week........

Kool Jo: Welcome to Company "X", thank you for taking the time out to attend the interview session as scheduled.

JW Applicant: Thank you for the oppurtunity.

Kool Jo: You have an amazing resume, so tell me some more about yourself...

So I asked some traditional questions and then we get to point of the discussion pertaining to....you guessed it...work schedule.

Kool Jo: So in this industry, you have to be able to work varying hours/shifts ect...since you're going to be the rookie.

JW Applicant: Well I really love the oppurtunity and I've been unemployed for a while, but I have some questions...would I be able to get Saturdays, Sundays, and Thursday evenings off?

Kool Jo: I won't be able to guarantee you that...our clients can be quite demanding and we have to fit into their schedule.

JW Applicant: Well, the truth is, I'm one of Jehovah's Witnesses, and I have commitments that are very important to me, hence my reason for asking.

Kool Jo: (A BIG WTF MOMENT)...I just pretended I didn't know a thing about JW's....so what happens if a client wants to meet with you on a Saturday morning?

JW Applicant: Well, I guess I'd have to come for work...you have no idea how happy I am to even be called for an interview. You see, I'm trying to pioneer, but we meet at different times, so things should be ok.

Kool Jo: You know...you're attendance will be monitored...are you're sure you won't call in sick if you feel like you need to go meet with your friends? I really don't want anything to affect the obligations of your religion.

JW Applicant: Thank you for saying that...I do love Jehovah, but I also need this job.

Kool Jo: Are you sure you'll be ok with the varying schedule you'll be given regardless of your obligations?

JW Applicant: Yes, it will be fine..evening if I don't get to do what I want....my funds are running low and I need to work.

Kool Jo: Ok, we'll discuss with my counterpart and get in touch with you within 48 hours of a decision.

This week is her first week and have they have this young lady working various hours....she's not able to pioneer and she's getting a cheque at the end of the week...she has a pretty decent resume and is a really mature young lady...I hope she won't feel guilty when asked to work on a "meeting" night.

Peace

Kool Jo

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

So you hired her, and gave her a chance. Good for you.

I understand her throwing in the 'Jehovah' word, and letting it 'fill' the air. We are told that Jehovah and the angels will protect us, and especially if we put the Kingdom first. Is she so far down the rabbit hole, that she used the word 'pioneer' like you are supposed to 'know' what that means?

I feel for her.

I gave up a good part time job while I was pioneering. I was promised I would have time off for the District Convention. When the time came, they reneged on their promise, so like an obedient WT drone, I quit.

LoisLane

PS It must have felt a bit weird, interviewing her. Sounds good so far.

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

That was generous of you to offer the job. I'm not sure I'd trust the JW to keep those secular appointments.

However, I have hired people that I was a little skeptical of. Knowing upfront what their mindset is, helps to put the cards on the table and you can head off any performance/attendance issues before they arise. Your JW was on notice from the get-go that working weekends will be part of the deal some weeks.

All the best to both of you!

-Aude.

• Ding
    Ding

With all those references to Jehovah, she probably counted her entire interview time on this month's report.

• Kool Jo
    Kool Jo

Yes, I did offer her the job...I did feel sorry for her...being misled, being unemployed and as a single mom, Jehovah used an apostate to give her a job....nice going!

Yes, I guess she'll say at her next meeting...how she witnessed to the interviewer and gave a fine witness blah blah blah

Kool Jo

• SloppyJoe
    SloppyJoe

if she is a good worker, she is a good worker. I wouldn't be hard on her for being a JW. The only thing I may have done was got it in writing that she knew the hours would vary and would be required to work them if necessary. In any case, I hope she works out for you.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Wait a second. She disclosed her religion when it should not be raised in an employment interview. Most people would keep their mouth shut. People should protect their privacy. You could not legally ask her her religion. I trust the position does not require much.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Give her the evening shift and see how long she lasts.

• KateWild
    KateWild

Well done Kool Jo,

You may have an opportunity to teach her a little TTATT in the future. I interview also, we have a high turnover, maybe I will get a JW? But all the local JWs know me.

I used to employ a sister, she through me under the bus at my first JC.

Excellent example, I will remember this for the future. Thanks Kate xx

• Heartofaboy
    Heartofaboy

You are kind Kool Jo.

I remember pioneer that went for a commision based financial job.

He was asked at the interview about his goals in life.

Of course JW's are told to look for every opportunity to 'witness' & this pio did just that mentioning that striving after money wouldn't bring real happiness.

He was probably thinking of all the demos he'd seen at the conventions where the JW gets the job over all others just because he said he was a JW & therefore a trustworthy applicant.

He didn't get the job.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit