Is RIDICULE acceptable in online debating?

by nicolaou 80 Replies latest jw experiences

• Hold Me-Thrill Me
    Hold Me-Thrill Me
    nicolaou
    And most here are not using ridicule as a weapon of intolerance either.

I agree but that was not the point was it.
  • FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    I wonder how many people on both sides of the theism-atheism coin have left this forum because of the ridicule. I know many who have all but stopped reading or posting. I only check once in a great while. I don't know why this thread came up in my history, which is what I check when I come every few weeks or months. I'm hoping the stuff has stopped, for the sake of everyone who reads or posts here. This used to be a great forum. I'm hoping it will be again.
  • Ruby456
    Ruby456

friendly atheist here at this site

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/

edit: refreshing insight on the convention video on shunning your children from that site

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2015/06/06/audience-applauds-jehovahs-witness-couple-who-admit-to-shunning-their-own-child/

For all we know, the only reason the child returned was to see the parents, not because they suddenly believed what the religion preaches. If that’s true, then the child had more love for the parents than the other way around.

• smiddy
    smiddy

Personally , I don`t think ridiculing the person is acceptable , however , ridiculing the idea they may have put forward is.

I am not the sharpest tool in the shed , and sometimes I know , I post something stupid , by all means take me to task on that , but it hurts if you attack me personally , I`m only human and I make mistakes , even at my age.

Even so , I love this place.

We do have to be more more mindful of newbies especially ,just saying.

smiddy

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

Oh, and a horse that thinks...

Look who's talking!

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Here's another perspective to ponder:

It's been pointed out that there is a difference between ridiculing A PERSON and ridiculing THEIR IDEAS/BELIEFS.

What I haven't seen commented on here is the fact that some IDEAS and BELIEFS are inherently ridiculous. When another person points out this simple, plain unvarnished truth are they really guilty of doing anything wrong? Of course not!

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Exactly Oubliette, which is the point I made in my opening post two years ago. We've come full circle on this.

• millie210
    millie210

I agree FlyingHigh. It only takes a few to taint the water so to speak. It also only takes a few to turn a stampede. So I stay and I post and I hope for better.

As I have stated before, I am not an atheist but I am curious and wish I could discuss it but even when a thread is started by an atheist I feel is "approachable" it isnt long before the ones who employ jeering and mocking and preaching (yes I said it - preachers arent just religious - its a talking style also) and I leave the thread.

I see Ruby has posted a site where the climate is friendly. Thank you Ruby. I appreciate that.

I do have to add though, that this is my "home site" the one that I love and I still wish what is possible there could be possible here.

• millie210
    millie210

Smiddy,

Im not a newbie here anymore but I love what you said. Thanks for the reminder.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Thanks for your input millie. I still think that for the most part there isn't any real bullying going on (Simon would be on that like Garfield on lasagne).

When ridicule IS sparingly used I'd hope most could see it for the nonsense pricking pin that it is - it really isn't a weapon to attack folks with.

Honest.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit