Is RIDICULE acceptable in online debating?

by nicolaou 80 Replies latest jw experiences

• KateWild
    KateWild

I agree phizzy, if I debate with someone about sub-atomic particles and electron configuration's and they are a country bumpkin with no knowledge of phys chem, and persist to debate with me, I don't need to call them stupid. It's there for the forum to see they are stupid.

Sam xx

• prologos
    prologos

ridicule of an idea, which could be considered a form of humour, can be good teaching tool, better yet if the ridicule is not personal and the error is CORRECTED, so we can all learn.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou
    Shameless bump. It seemed appropriate.
  • Jonathan Drake
    Jonathan Drake

I do not feel ridicule is acceptable in any debate or discussion.

If we are going to win over any theists to the side of reason it certainly will be without ridicule.

I look at it like this: Theists ARE victims. This is just a fact, though they are not victims in the sense that they claim in these debates. They are victims in the sense that because of where they were born and who raised them (factors outside their control) they were taught dogma and gullability. They suffer from a well ingrained delusion passed down by parents or priests.

In the same sense I would never ridicule a victim of robbery, rape, assault or any other crime for suffering in the way they have I will not ridicule a victim of faith. (Though I've had moments where my patience was worn thin).

Now. I will not say the same of the teachers and leaders of religion. these such men and women deserve ridicule, they deserve to be tried and imprisoned for all their crimes, including the suffering of theists.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Ridicule isn't necessarily about winning over your opponent. It pricks buffoonery and lays foolishness naked for all to see.

Think of Anthony Morris's ridiculous diatribe against tight pants and spandex. Ridiculing his nonsense reduces his perceived authority and importance to most observers - a good thing.

• Doltologist
    Doltologist
    I don't think ridicule is acceptable unless religion or similar is involved, in which case, it should be compulsory. Religion is one of the most evil things ever invented by man. Between 100 - 200 million have been murdered by christards alone. That isn't including the millions that have been raped, pillaged, tortured and enslaved. Anyone spreading religtard manure deserves to be ridiculed.
  • talesin
    talesin

If you get your jollies off by making fun of people, especially those who seem to be suffering from mental illness or extreme naivete, then have at it. It's the internet - it's not as if anyone can look you in the eye and call you out.

The weak and the ill don't have a voice - let's not give them one. After all they are either stupid or mentally lazy, right? *heavy sarcasm*

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Who is advocating making fun of people talesin? My OP questions how we are supposed to react to the "laughable nonsense" that some individuals proclaim. One poster who's been here as long as I have still defends Young Earth Creationism! I once debated against another lovely poster who seriously argued that 1+1 need not equal 2.

Leaving the personal insults to one side, would you not say those propositions are ridiculous?

• Doltologist
    Doltologist

Talesin

The weak and the ill don't have a voice - let's not give them one. After all they are either stupid or mentally lazy, right? *heavy sarcasm*

I have no wish to mock the afflicted. There's another issue here, though.

I can't say for certain but my best guess is that there's as many people lurking and reading as there is posting, and maybe more. What's written in this hollowed forum is going to influence others. Seeing people ridiculed for their beliefs may just stop some poor sod from catching religion. It might just cause someone who is thinking of leaving jovie land to leave.

Let's also face the fact that there are often frank exchanges of views on this forum. It is no place for the weak.

• Jonathan Drake
    Jonathan Drake
    "laughable nonsense" that some individuals proclaim.

Ridiculing their words is tantamount to ridiculing them (if for no other reason than they will feel this way).

It is possible to reason with a person without ridiculing them. And reasoning will bring about the same emotional response because they will get just as worked up - the difference is that they will be all worked up trying to disprove a factual position of reason and failing as oppose to arguing that they are being ridiculed and mistreated which is true.

Unfortunately, ridicule is far more likely to work against you. While it shouldn't at all have any effect on the view of your argument in terms of truth and reality, it does and it will in the minds of most people.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit