Is RIDICULE acceptable in online debating?

by nicolaou 80 Replies latest jw experiences

• Doltologist
    Doltologist
    I can see that I'm in a minority with this ridicule idea. I shall now go away and think about whether there's a better strategy.
  • nicolaou
    nicolaou

I've got spanners, knives, screwdrivers, bunches of Allen keys and loads of other tools in my toolbox. Ridicule is like the pre-metric monkey wrench that hides under all the other tools, It's hefty, I only keep it for the weighty thwack I need to deliver from time to time.

Ridicule will never be the first tool I go to but it has its place. And no, ridiculing ideas is not the same as ridiculing people; how many times does that need to be said?

• Oubliette
    Oubliette
    “Rudeness is the weak man’s imitation of strength.”
    Edmund Burke
  • Oubliette
    Oubliette

Nicolau: Ridicule will never be the first tool I go to but it has its place. And no, ridiculing ideas is not the same as ridiculing people

Exactly.

The problem is, so many people personally identify with ideas that when those ideas are ridiculed they believe that they have been ridiculed.

• millie210
    millie210

Dolt, dont back off from posting - just back off a particular view if you happen to find a better one.

A few posts back you asked what about the lurkers? You mentioned how writing a post might help them. How it might even safeguard them if they are about to commit to a harmful religious view.

I really liked that point!

I need to think about the lurkers when I post. After all, I was one and the posters here literally gave me my peace of mind back.

So your post reminded me of all of that and I appreciate it.

As to the part you wrote about ridicule being a tool to help underscore the stupidity in someones post, that deserves more thought from you.

Wayne Dyer talks about motivating forces. He talks about guilt and shame as motivating forces. He is careful to stress they are low energy forces. The lowest energy motivational tools in the universe is what he calls them.

Do you know what he says is the highest energy motivational tool?

Love

The kind of love (remember he is talking abstract and universal energy here) that senses anothers inherent right to the same dignity and kindness we want extended towards us.

People dont learn when they are made to feel "less"

what they do is comply. Complying looks similar but it is counterfeit in the long run.

That is why you see bullies always have a little group around them, following them. Its easy to see why the bully needs a little fan club but have you ever wondered why the little fan club follows?

Its interesting to think about.

There is a saying that reputation is what you do when people are looking and character is what you do when you think no one is.

To bring that in to the modern arena of the internet, what people do in their day to day interactions is their reputation. What they do here with the relative anonymity of the forum is their character.

• Doltologist
    Doltologist

Millie210

You have given me much to read and think about. I will now read and think.

Thank you and have a nice day. I shall.

• user100
    user100
    yes.
  • millie210
    millie210

Dolt, I like you.

I like the way you adapt and are learning as you go. That is what I am trying to do too.

I hope you have a nice day also!

• StrongHaiku
    StrongHaiku

Great comments...

I would say that there may be times that ridiculing an idea (not the person) is the only response. But, I typically find that asking basic/obvious questions of a premise helps the other person realize that their idea might be ridiculous.

Also, I have found personally that if I am going to attempt humor, it is probably better to "Punch up. Don't punch down." In other words, I try to aim the humor at the privileged and powerful as opposed to the disenfranchised and powerless.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

SH: "Punch up. Don't punch down."

Great practical philosophy!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit