I hate watching this religion screw with my BF's mind

by ilikecheese 17 Replies latest jw friends

• ilikecheese
    ilikecheese

Cheese lover here. I don't post much, so refresher course: I've been dating an unbaptized JW for years. We're both in our 20s. He's not super into JWism and probably never will be because he thinks a lot of it is a pile of poo.

The problem is that he's scared to leave, for two reasons. The first is that all of the propaganda they spew makes him think all other churches are Satan's minions and that the JWs are still "the best behaved people who love God the most." I'm not sure how to ever dislodge that idea, considering the thought of going to other churches makes JWs think they'll burst into flame or something. Maybe he's afraid at my church, we have orgy Tuesdays. (Little does he know, it's orgy WEDNESDAYS. Tuesdays are human sacrifice days.) I get that he agrees with the core JW Bible teachings... mostly that Jesus isn't divine, there is no hell, and only "special company men who kiss lots of butt" go to heaven. Most people in mainstream Christianity have their own ideas of things, but JWs think free thought in church is more of Satan's minions and Smurf's work. So, there's that. He thinks all of the GB and organization stuff is crap, but he thinks he needs to go somewhere that's unanimous on tricky doctrines. (Which is just a sign of no one thinking or those who do think lying about it.) Basically, he knows the leadership is filled with tricky devils, but he still feels he must follow the tricky devils because they're the least devilish.

I think he'd be significantly more likely to jump ship, though, if it wasn't for the fact that he knows his circle of friends will disappear and that the family that's in probably won't give him the time of day if he left. As much as I tell him that his "worldly friends," his family that isn't JW, and I will love him regardless and not conditionally like the JWs, I know how much the idea of losing all of them kills him. It makes me feel almost guilty, too, because I know I'm basically the only reason he's confronting his doubts. I can't imagine the pain of basically losing most of the people who have "loved" you your whole life in one fell swoop. The organization is cruel and inhumane in that way. People do nothing wrong, they just wake up, and suddenly they're the devil.

I just wish this religion could be a more calm church like most others. Allow some free thinking and no shunning. Things would be a lot easier for its adherents. My heart hurts for my boyfriend throughout all of this. He's only really started being real with debating what to do for the past little while. He likes to shuffle it out of his mind a lot because it's hard being tugged all over the place, so it's taking him a while to figure it all out. He feels like a hypocrite and like God will hate him because he can't make up his mind. If he stays, he'll feel like God won't like him because he's being dishonest, but if he leaves, he'll feel he's left "God's people." I don't know how people don't just start talking to walls and eating paste in this religion.

If he actually decides to finally take the dip into the crazy train pool, it will be time to break up. Don't worry. I just really think he'll finally get the cojones necessary to ditch it all. I'm waiting and hoping he does. And so many kudos to all of you who have gone through all of this, escaped, and kept your sanity. (Or at least some of it... particles anyway.) I'm so glad my parents didn't get involved in a cultish religion. We had a very chill, liberal Christian upbringing. The only time my parents considered shunning us was when my brothers and I found ways to break the same pot that had just been fixed on a weekly basis when we played basketball. Or on every family vacation... ever.

• sizemik
    sizemik

I don't know how people don't just start talking to walls and eating paste in this religion.

They do. Little research has been done, but that which has suggests the incidence of mental illness and suicide is at a much higher level than the general populace. I'm an ex-wall-talker myself.

As for your BF, I trust you see good qualities in him that keeps you hanging in. Hopefully those qualities include an honest heart and an inquiring mind. His equivocating may continue for a while yet, but eventually he will have to make a call. Just keep feeding the dissonance and reinforcing a healthy fear of baptism. Youth often holds the illusion of time being of little consequence, and yet the day will come when every extra day wasted on this lot will be regretted. Good luck.

• sizemik
  • jwfacts
    jwfacts

That was a great summary of JWs, and you have an amusingly captivating way of telling a story.

I feel very sorry for you b/f. I spent 10 years in the state that you describe, and though I never started talking to walls, it did get me very down. Somehow, you need to encourage him to research other points of view, and meet other people. I was astounded at how other religions really did have solid reason for their doctrine, and also how nice worldly people could be.

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Hi ilikecheese, Enjoy your friend's authentic persona and don't worry about trying to get him to leave the WTBTS. Learn techniques to bring out your friend's authentic persona when his cult persona is in control. Let your friend decide what is best for him.

You have many options to help your friend to critically think for himself and to help his authentic persona be in control of his personality. Invite your friend to do fun activities with you that will help him to meet more non-JWs who he may share common interests. Encourage your friend to get a better education so that he qualifies for a better career. Encourage your friend to use the internet to plan doing fun activities.

If you don't know how to help your friend to critically think for himself, please read Steve Hassan's books ("Combatting Cult Mind Control", "Releasing the Bonds: Empowering People to Thnik for Themselves", and (his latest book) "Freedom of Mind: Helping Loved Ones Leave Controlling People, Cults and Beliefs"), visit his website www.freedomofmind.com, and/or watch his videos on his website. Steve Hassan stresses the importance of unconditionally loving friends and family in dangerous cults.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• designs
    designs

The circle of friends disappearing will be a big, they ae gone like the wind. You have to plan ahead- school, organizations or groups you have some interest in, there are many avenues to remake your life but it takes time and effort.

• jgnat
    jgnat

You love a man divided. He's just in his twenties, so there's hope he'll sort this all out. The Watchtower Society is practiced at inserting phobias and thought-stopping devices in the minds of their followers. I'm going to mark up your paragraph indicating which are his authentic personality, which are phobias and which are thought-stopping devices. I encourage you to help him expand his social network outside of the WTS, because losing his family and friends is a genuine fear.

• Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

Many people who feel that way, ambivalent and "riding the fence," will leave for a while but then go roaring back after they have kids. Being out is no guarantee that they stay out. Mind control is so powerful.

Marina

• jgnat
    jgnat

Cheese lover here. I don't post much, so refresher course: I've been dating an unbaptized JW for years. We're both in our 20s. He's not super into JWism and probably never will be because he thinks a lot of it is a pile of poo.

The problem is that he's scared to leave, for two reasons. The first is that all of the propaganda they spew makes him think all other churches are Satan's minions and that the JWs are still "the best behaved people who love God the most." I'm not sure how to ever dislodge that idea, considering the thought of going to other churches makes JWs think they'll burst into flame or something. Maybe he's afraid at my church, we have orgy Tuesdays. (Little does he know, it's orgy WEDNESDAYS. Tuesdays are human sacrifice days.) I get that he agrees with the core JW Bible teachings... mostly that Jesus isn't divine, there is no hell, and only "special company men who kiss lots of butt" go to heaven. Most people in mainstream Christianity have their own ideas of things, but JWs think free thought in church is more of Satan's minions and Smurf's work. So, there's that. He thinks all of the GB and organization stuff is crap, but he thinks he needs to go somewhere that's unanimous on tricky doctrines. (Which is just a sign of no one thinking or those who do think lying about it.) Basically, he knows the leadership is filled with tricky devils, but he still feels he must follow the tricky devils because they're the least devilish.

I think he'd be significantly more likely to jump ship, though, if it wasn't for the fact that he knows his circle of friends will disappear and that the family that's in probably won't give him the time of day if he left. As much as I tell him that his "worldly friends," his family that isn't JW, and I will love him regardless and not conditionally like the JWs, I know how much the idea of losing all of them kills him. It makes me feel almost guilty, too, because I know I'm basically the only reason he's confronting his doubts. I can't imagine the pain of basically losing most of the people who have "loved" you your whole life in one fell swoop. The organization is cruel and inhumane in that way. People do nothing wrong, they just wake up, and suddenly they're the devil.

I just wish this religion could be a more calm church like most others. Allow some free thinking and no shunning. Things would be a lot easier for its adherents. My heart hurts for my boyfriend throughout all of this. He's only really started being real with debating what to do for the past little while. He likes to shuffle it out of his mind a lot because it's hard being tugged all over the place, so it's taking him a while to figure it all out. He feels like a hypocrite and like God will hate him because he can't make up his mind. If he stays, he'll feel like God won't like him because he's being dishonest, but if he leaves, he'll feel he's left "God's people." I don't know how people don't just start talking to walls and eating paste in this religion.

Key:

authentic personality

phobia

thought-stopper

• jgnat
    jgnat

Going through this again, I came up with some more ideas.

• He is waking up because he's talking more about it. Every time he expresses an opinion, honor him for his right to have it, even if you disagree with it. Use socratic questioning to encourage him to reason more. Independent thinking is great.
    • Use examples of other controlling religions, those that insert phobias in their members, like Scientologists, Mormons and Amish. Tell their stories and ask him what he thinks. Are their fears rational?
    • There are examples in the bible of men who wrestled with God and lived to tell the tale. Surely God is big enough to take a little criticism. There's Job, Abraham, Israel, Moses and Jonah. IS HE SURE he "Makes Jehovah Sad" if he fails to wear a tie to the meeting?
    • Use yourself as an example and elicit his empathy when he condemns other churches and church-goers for being "more devilish". Ask him if he really thinks that about you?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit