Why the field service reports?

by Syme 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Syme
    Syme

Some years ago, we had this difficult bible study with a guy who was unofficially a witness for about 40 years, yet he would never make the step of becoming an Unbaptized publisher. We pushed him at some point to tell us the reason, and the reason was this: He didn't agree with the field reports practice. He said he did a lot of preaching by himself but didn't see any reason to report it to the congregation.

Of course, we told him that the reason we hand in field reports is so that we have statistics, and know how much work is done worldwide and bla-bla-blah. (the official excuses laid out in the od book)

Only after a LOOONG time it occured to me: Hey, if the reason for field reports is purely statistical, why not hand in reports WITHOUT NAMES? Anonymous reports would achieve the statistics goal just the same; and I don't think it would tempt jws to hand in false numbers. On the contrary, everyone would feel safe to report the actual time he spent in field service. I would even say that the eponymous reports are more tempting to make jws give false numbers (so that they are not bothered by the elders, or maintain a pioneer status).

What do you think about this anonymous reports idea? Is there a practical reason why the reports should be eponymous, apart from the reason we all suspect, i.e. control?

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

And to judge how spiritual you are of course.

• CyrusThePersian
    CyrusThePersian

In complete opposition to Matthew chapter 6, field service reports are used to gauge a person's "spiritual health." They are also used to determine whether a man is "spiritually qualified" to hold a position of responsibility in the congregation, again in opposition to the scripture, this time 1st Timothy chapter 3 which doesn't even list evangelizing as a requirement for the office of overseer!

CyrusThePersian

• clarity
    clarity

Syme ... I think your idea is genius!!!!!!!!!

>

How long was I in? Did I ever get my mind past

the "it is for statistics!" reason? No!!! Jesus!

clarity ... nice one Syme :-)

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

The WTBTS is much more interested in numbers and stats than anything else. The very first question considered when a BOE meets to discuss new 'appointments' of brothers for either elder or MS is: "How much time does he get in FS?" "Is he 'visible' in FS?" The organization has created a beaurocracy on 'bean counters'.

How much real, actual time is spent preaching verses time 'out in service'? lol

eyeuse2badub

• jamclark
    jamclark

Becaue the all knowing, all powerful Almighty Yahuah needs His "chosen" people to track their hours, and a group to tabulate all the numbers to produce reports for Him? Of course that tabulating group has a vital responsibility to their spreadsheets and walking the streets.

• Listener
    Listener

They would likely argue that they need the names so they can chase up individuals who had forgotten to lodge their report.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

It is about spiritual "riches". The more time you put in, the more spiritual "rich" you are supposed to be. And your name serves the same purpose as your banking account number: To ensure you get "credit" for what you actually put in. Of course, that system allows fake time slips to be handed in.

And it is fake "riches", even if the time wasted is real. I never felt spiritually rich while doing a lot of field circus. At first, I thought I was--because of the novelty and I thought I was actually helping out to get the work finished. A few months and returning to territories done before, without a dent in the amount of work remaining, and that all changed. Now, it was a burden. In fact, you become spiritually impoverished while in field circus, since you only focus on one paragraph (your presentation) all the time. During waste of paper campaigns, it is even worse since it is a single line. You study a work of fiction, preach a work of fiction, designed to impoverish the soul. Mentally boring, spiritually depleting smut.

Of course, without the burden of field circus reports, I would just do "reasonable and prudent". If I felt spiritually upbuilt while doing this work, I could do as much as I feel like without being hounded to a repeat next month. There would be no pressure to get another 15 or 20 hours during the last 3 days, either. If I feel spiritually upbuilt during this work, but something happens and I am forced to take time out in the middle of the month, no hounding or rendering accounts. Instead, I would resume as soon as I could sustainably do so, and do as much as I reasonably could without having pressure to make up time. I could also balance this work with other pursuits as I see fit, knowing that other pursuits would mean less of this work. I alone would seek the balance.

And, if the work was spiritually draining, impoverishing, or destructive instead, I would simply do zero.

• Daniel1555
    Daniel1555

I know of some brothers who don't agree with that practice. They told the elders that they are not turning any reports in even though they do a lot of preaching. I think it would be good to listen to your conscience. If it doesn't allow you to turn in a report, just don't do it. The elders can do nothing about it anyway.

I decided not to do field service anymore. From now on I don't report anymore.

• Narcissistic Supply

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit