Is disagreeing with the GB rebelling against God?

by kneehighmiah 33 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• kneehighmiah
    kneehighmiah

The other day an elder mentioned that not following the GB direction is the same as rebelling against God. This in harmony with the ominous tone set forth in the Respect Jehovah's Authority video. In this thread I'll point out several gaping holes in that argument as time allows.

1. The GB/FDS does not speak "mouth to mouth" with God as did Moses.

Jehovah condemned and punished Mariam for speaking against Moses. Why? Because Moses was directly communicating Gods word and direction. Moses had gone up mt Sinai to speak directly with God. Also the law from God was delivered directly through Moses and d

id not need any extra human interpretation. No "new light" aka human interpretation. When there was a question or dispute such as with the daughters of Zelophehad, Jehovah answered Moses directly.

This contrasts the GB who assume the sole authority to interpret God's word. There is no pattern set forth by Moses of this happening. Moses did not interpret God's word. He could speak directly to God for clarification. Hence any decision God relayed to him was final and true. The GB today flip flops all the time. This is the result of guess work, not God's spirit. Jesus condemned those who felt the need to interpret God's law. Anyone want to guess who they were?

• KateWild
    KateWild

Is disagreeing with the GB rebelling against God? No it's not. But the GB want you to think so, they need your money.

Sam xx

• jgnat
    jgnat

They don't need money so much as demand every member's time, energy and devotion. A volunteer flyer distribution force. The most noble occupation on earth.

• Island Man
    Island Man

One striking dissimilarity between Moses and the GB can be seen in the quality of humility. Despite being appointed by God to lead the nation of Israel, Moses was a very humble man. Moses accepted corrective counsel from the Midianite Jethro. Can you imagine the GB accepting corrective counsel from a rank and file JW?

• KateWild
    KateWild

Can you imagine the GB accepting corrective counsel from a rank and file JW?- Island Man

LOL! Good point. Sam xx

• Ding
    Ding

This claim of the GB is all I can think of when JWs talk about how humble those men are because they don't claim to be infallible or inspired.

Humble?

These fallible, uninspired men claim that the only way to God is through them.

These fallible, uninspired men claim that they have been given divine authority to run every aspect of JWs' lives.

These fallible, uninspired men claim that you will be annihilated by God if you don't submit to their rule.

• wasblind
    wasblind

Tell it Ding

" Thus what is taught is not from men but from Jehovah " ____Sept 15, 2010 WT pg 13 para. 8

Which is it. Jehovah's a bad teacher or the Governing Body are jus' plain stupid

• blondie
    blondie

When Paul corrected Peter for shunning Gentile anointed Christians was he rebelling against God?

(Galatians 2:7-21) 7 But, on the contrary, when they saw that I had entrusted to me the good news for those who are uncircumcised, just as Peter [had it] for those who are circumcised— 8 for He who gave Peter powers necessary for an apostleship to those who are circumcised gave powers also to me for those who are of the nations; 9 yes, when they came to know the undeserved kindness that was given me, James and Ce′phas and John, the ones who seemed to be pillars, gave me and Bar′na·bas the right hand of sharing together, that we should go to the nations, but they to those who are circumcised. 10 Only we should keep the poor in mind. This very thing I have also earnestly endeavored to do. 11 However, when Ce′phas came to Antioch, I resisted him face to face, because he stood condemned. 12 For before the arrival of certain men from James, he used to eat with people of the nations; but when they arrived, he went withdrawing and separating himself, in fear of those of the circumcised class. 13 The rest of the Jews also joined him in putting on this pretense, so that even Bar′na·bas was led along with them in their pretense. 14 But when I saw they were not walking straight according to the truth of the good news, I said to Ce′phas before them all: “If you, though you are a Jew, live as the nations do, and not as Jews do, how is it that you are compelling people of the nations to live according to Jewish practice?” 15 We who are Jews by nature, and not sinners from the nations, 16 knowing as we do that a man is declared righteous, not due to works of law, but only through faith toward Christ Jesus, even we have put our faith in Christ Jesus, that we may be declared righteous due to faith toward Christ, and not due to works of law, because due to works of law no flesh will be declared righteous. 17 Now if we, in seeking to be declared righteous by means of Christ, have also ourselves been found sinners, is Christ in reality sin’s minister? May that never happen! 18 For if the very things that I once threw down I build up again, I demonstrate myself to be a transgressor. 19 As for me, through law I died toward law, that I might become alive toward God. 20 I am impaled along with Christ. It is no longer I that live, but it is Christ that is living in union with me. Indeed, the life that I now live in flesh I live by the faith that is toward the Son of God, who loved me and handed himself over for me. 21 I do not shove aside the undeserved kindness of God; for if righteousness is through law, Christ actually died for nothing.

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

Pretty sure the apparent, probable, likely answer, is a deafening 'NO' from the heavens!

• blondie
    blondie

September 15, 2010

The apostles and the elders of the Jerusalem congregation acted as a governing body. Christ used this instrument to lead the entire group of his anointed “brothers” on earth. (Heb. 2:11; Acts 16:4, 5) In this time of the end, Christ has committed “all his belongings”— all the earthly interests of the Kingdom—to his “faithful and discreet slave” and its representative Governing Body, a group of anointed Christian men. (Matt. 24:45-47) The anointed and their other sheep companions recognize that by following the lead of the modern-day Governing Body, they are in fact following their Leader, Christ. - page 23

Thus, what is taught is not from men but from Jehovah.—Isa. 54:13. - page 13

Watchtower November 15, 2013 page 20

Simplified Edition

(3) At that time, the direction that
    you receive from Jehovah’s organization
    may seem strange or unusual. But
    all of us must be ready to obey any
    instructions we may receive, whether
    we agree with them or not, because
    obeying these instructions will save
    our lives.

English Edition

(3) At that time, the lifesaving