So, here's a new definition of 'apostacy'

by ItsMyLife 25 Replies latest jw friends

• Terry
    Terry

Let's use our commons sense and our rational thinking for minute, shall we?

Many many years ago I and another JW bro performed music publicly and were paid for our efforts. I played piano and the other brother sang and played

12 string guitar.

We both lived in Ft.Worth.

We got a gig at the Hilton hotel in Austin.

I knew a sister who had 3 roomates who lived in Austin and she agreed to let me crash on the couch in the living room of their shared house.

That saved me from having to pay for a motel or drive 188 miles back to Ft.Worth overnight.

About 2:30 in the morning I am suddenly awakened by a loud BAM! BAM!BAM!BAM!BAM!BAM!BAM!

To say I was startled isn't the half of it!

BAM!BAM!BAM!BAM!BAM!BAM!BAM! "I know you're in there Terry Walstrom! Open this door!BAM!BAM!BAM!BAM!BAM!

It was my wife's voice.

WTF?

I stumbled over to the door and there is my JW wife standing there all red in the face screaming at the top of her lungs!

She barged in right away and started opening doors to bedroom as the various roomates came running out and a grand melee' ensued.

It was madness! Apocalyptic!

Imagine this: somehow the gossip grapevine was so intense, a phone call had been placed to my wife from some JW in Austin informing her

of the diabolical betrayal taking place between her husband and 4 women!!

The is was the pre-cellphone era, need I say.

My wife had jumped into the car and drove like a bat out of hell to the address (conveniently provided) and arrived way late at night.

After the uproar settled down, my wife could clearly see I had a blanket and pillow on the couch and all the roomates were quite eager to

give her a good talking to about her suspicions!

The upshot was this. I had to leave WITH my wife and drive back to Ft.Worth OR ELSE she would report me to the judicial committee!

I was pretty pissed off.

I told her to go ahead report me for sleeping on a couch if she really thought couch-sleeping was an abomination to Jehovah!

Need I tell you, before the week was over I was sitting in the Kingdom Hall library telling my story?

Yep.

The congregation Overseer (pre-Elder era) listened and nodded his head as I spoke.

"Brother Walstrom, technically speaking--it IS adultry if you spend the night under the roof of a woman who is not your spouse."

I swear I threw my head back and laughed at the nonsense! I had my NWT with me, of course--and I tossed it on the table in front of

the Overseer and his assistant and said, "I'm afraid I'm going to have to SEE that scripture with my own eyes."

. . . .

Now why did I tell you this story? Because, it was just about the next to the last straw in my total awakening to narrow-minded baloney-thinking

coming out of Jehovah's appointed servants!

If you can't exercise common sense and you can't give a brother who had been totally without reproach the benefit of the doubt--well, the word

"trust" just doesn't exist and honor is merely a word in the dictionary.

My servant's privileges were removed from me and it was announced after the Watchtower study.

My mother, who had just been newly baptised, had a come-apart right there in the middle of the Kingdom Hall.

She started asking out loud about what had happened.

She said it loud enough, too.

The Overseer simply said to her, "Sister--your son has done something he isn't very proud of and this is just a discipline to remind him not to

do it again."

She turned to me and immediately demanded to know what it was I had done to lose my servant's privileges.

I shrugged and said, "I had the unmitigated audacity to sleep on a couch." Then, I turned around and walked out of the Kingdom Hall before

she could further pursue the matter.

Sigh.

I get upset just repeating this story.

I thought it was very similar to the "apostacy" definition above.

• rebel8
    rebel8

Well I can see how it fits into their definition. Dumb, but consistent with their beliefs I guess.

I am referring to the Pay Attention handbook which said participating in another religion is apostasy. Not sure what the new book says.

Also I believe the act of participating in a religious play meet's the bible's definition of apostasy as well.

(a pahss' tuh ssee) is the act of rebelling against, forsaking, abandoning, or falling away from what one has believed.

• SAHS
    SAHS

I think the problem with the classic nativity scene, according to the WTS, are the “three wise men” depicted as visiting Jesus when he was just a newborn infant. Apparently those Oriental men (“Magi”) didn’t visit Jesus until he was a boy old enough to be walking and talking (at least a couple of years old, I think), and also, the Bible doesn’t state exactly how many men visited. The three supposed “kings” visiting a newborn Jesus, I suppose, is somewhat of a religious “urban legend.”

HOWEVER, I believe that anything having too much to do with Jesus seems to be rather repugnant to the WTS, because, after all, they have taken his place (i.e., baptism in accordance with Jehovah’s “spirit-directed organization”). Now, if the nativity scene in the play was replaced with characters representing Jehovah and the eight members of the most holy Watchtower Governing Body, then I think you would be off the hook.

Instead of squabbling and judging over silly semantics, the WTS, if it were really appointed by God’s son, Jesus Christ, should be focusing on him – Jesus – and stop pointing their ignorant, narcissistic finger at real Christians!

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

WT world is about judgementalism and emotional abuse.

• Watkins
    Watkins

Yes, the wt absoutely HATES Jesus, so taking part in a nativity scene would be "celebrating" the most horrendous celebration of all - Jesus' birthday.

It's all about appearances, as Terry's tale demonstrates so well. Sorry you all had to go through crap like that. ):

W~

• Splash
    Splash

Thanks for telling your story Terry.

I'm a very mellow and placid person. The ONLY thing in my life that makes me raging angry is this mindless stupidity from unqualified and empty headed power seekers.

Suffice to say, your story made me angry!

Splash (trying to calm down again)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit