Interview with an Apostate: Simon

by Simon 34 Replies latest jw experiences

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

I am very sorry to hear your mom is apeing WT/GB JW.ORG speech. 'Do you believe that the Governing Body is God's representative on earth?' lol

I am glad you moved away and your children were not subjected to their Grandmother's 'cult' speak.

With all the flip/flops of so called 'Bible/WT doctrines PLUS all the pedophiles, sex abuse, cover-ups, how can the Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses be

anything other, than a man made religion.

The Governing Body points their finger at the Catholic Clergy changing their doctrines AND covering up their dirty laundry, sex abuse scandals.

Watch Tower Governing Body JW.ORG does the same thing.

Corrupt.

LoisLane

• Scott77
    Scott77

bookmarked

• Simon
    Simon

some of the Gatenby family moved from Irlam to the i o wight in 1971---David & wife plus daughter Jane---and granny. i knew them very well.

Ah yes, I vaguely remember them - well, I remember people visiting from the Isle of Wight and the names but I can't picture any of them. I think my parents knew them well though.

• 88JM
    88JM
    My favourite type of question has always been “is there anything that would ever convince you that the WTS wasn’t the truth?”

Really loved this point. I was with a pompous pioneer sister in field service not long ago, when I was starting to wake up to TTATT. It was her turn at the door and this householder really knew his stuff on evolution - he was shooting down the sister's classicly flawed arguments so easily - I didn't attempt to help her! It came down to the question you mentioned, but he turned it back on her. I was actually quite shocked when she said she "knew" she had "the truth" and nothing could convince her otherwise. He then called the sister on her hypocrisy: "how can you knock on my door asking me to have an open mind when you don't have one yourself?" The sister was very sheepish and the conversation then ended pretty quickly.

It was quite a shame actually as I would love to have asked him a bit more about his thoughts on evolution as he was a really interesting guy to speak to.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Thanks for posting. I read it, but will slow down later this week and really think about what you are saying to know you a bit better. Then I might answer the same questions. I think that's what you have in mind.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I'd like another list of questions for people like me.

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this.

• Simon
    Simon

Then I might answer the same questions. I think that's what you have in mind.

Yes, I've just posted the template to help people get started but feel free to adapt it to your own story:

Interview with an apostate: Template

I'd like another list of questions for people like me.

Maybe one for spouses of believers / ex-JWs? You get to create the template of questions :)

• factfinder
    factfinder

Thank you Simon, very interesting.

• frogonmytoe
    frogonmytoe

Thanks Simon,

Really interesting, and i think you should think about that book, your writing is very readable!

I can't believe that someone vandalised your car in the KH car park?! Did you drive around proudly in it like Stuart in Queer as Folk??

Although I'm a Londonder, I had a cousin who lived in Flixton, close to Irlam, but a whole Ship Canal away... she wasn't a witness.

• Simon
    Simon

Yes, Flixton was literally a stones throw away but we hardly ever went there. My cousins used to live there - non witnesses so we didn't see them much but I've made contact with one who also moved over here too!

There used to be a very small car-ferry over the ship-canal at the end of ferry-boat lane near the Boat House ... the clue is in the name but not many people remember it. I think the terror helps me not forgot, it was SCARY!

Irlam was a WEIRD place. At one point my parents (mother and step-father) were having their tires punctured whenever they were at a meeting and I think it turned out to be an elder. The place was full of weirdos.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit