Unbelieveable (Post for Audiophiles)

by TheRecordCollector 21 Replies latest jw friends

• TheRecordCollector
    TheRecordCollector

Chuck D: Current driven amps are stonger More "punch".
    Voltage driven designs are supposed to be a "cleaner sound".
    That's just a fancy way of saying it's weak.

I have a Carver MXR-130 which is voltage driven. It sucks!
    Bob should have stayed with Phase Linear.
    The bass is weak, the whole thing sounds weak. And I've had other of bob's designs.

The MXR-130 is 130 wpc. I can put my current driven 60 wpc B&O, 40wpc McIntosh MC-240, and 35 wpc Marantz 8b side by side to the 130wpc voltage driven Carver. They individually blow the Carver away.
    You can barely hear the Carver! What a piece of crap!

It's the same for ALL voltage driven amp's.
    It may look good on paper, but to the audiophile ear, it sucks!

It's sacrificing Quality sound for a cheaper price.

• one
    one

OT +
    "Even valves or tubes if you are a Yank work by current. The grid "Voltage" controls the anode "Current""

PARTIALLY wrong and right ¦
    You seem to have a difference with
    TheRecordColletor. ¦

The difference in voltage voltagae between the CATHODE AND THE GRID controls the ANODE current, among other variables. ¦

"And you will know the truth and the REAL truth will set you free." ¦

Have you put your hand on a water/vapor cooled Klystron tube with 25000 volts on the repeller (equivalent to the anode) and 8 amp current = 1/4 million watts!!! It will make you free from trolls like me, it will fry you.

The topic IS related to JWims TheRecordColletor needs an expensive system in his bedroom so he can listen to RECORDS produced by Rutherford, a dead jw. And then tell us how it sounds.

Record,
    stores can not pay a knowledgeable audiophile salesman/lady.
    Manurfactures dont care about the quality, most people cant hear the
    difference beteween 125000$ system and a 99$ sytem from Kmart. They (manufactures) care about profits.

I am not an audiophile but i did build more than one FM station, including one in Orlando.Some were for classic (boring excpet Jazz) music and another for ROCK. Oh i forgot a 50000 watts am station, so hot it burned out, so i had to rebuild.

I use home audio eq so cheap you wont beleive. These days tipically the speaker is the critical main quality component.

Who the hell can hear a 0.5.% (a lot according to audiophiles) harmonic distortion produced by a low cost amplifier at 8khz?

On a final note it is ok to ask hi tec question to find out if it is worth tocontinue talking/dealing with THAT salesman/lady. Go ahead TheRecordColletor, what is your next question? I may be able to
    confuse you.

AND did you transfer all your record/tapes to dvd/cd yet? What are you waiting for?. So i can learn from your experience. Let me know ASAP.

Now let me get back to something more "profitable".

• ballistic
    ballistic

Record Collector;
    get interested in clubbing in the UK - you wont loose your interest in music, but you will loose part of your ear drums and stop worrying about voltage or amps.

• Farkel
    Farkel

: Who the hell can hear a 0.5.% (a lot according to audiophiles) harmonic distortion produced by a low cost amplifier at 8khz?

My ear has always been the best judge of what to buy in audio equipment and I prefer a "flat" sound, which is most natural for me. I'm a musician who listens to a lot of classical music and have never had my ears blown out from rock concerts or loud machinery.

If I recall correctly, I could hear up to about 15 or 16khz when I was tested as a teendager.

Amps, shmamps. Buy what sounds best for you, not what looks best on paper is the way I look at it.

Farkel

• one
    one

Farkel,
    Besides an extraordinary brain you a a very good pair of acoustic couplers (ears) attatech to it. Did you sai 16 khz on both ears? Who tested you, the army? They did it to me, but i got a 4f classification anyway.

Any way the second harmonic of 8khz tone would be exactly 16khz, but the third harmonic would be 24khz. Distortion may be present but who cares, nobody can detect most of it.

An fm station should not transmit any signal above 15khz (FCC will not allow it)They used to require a "proof of performance" every year, documented.

Audible range is considered 20hz to 20khz, only adudiophiles may pass that test.

BTW i have better reception on my left ear than right ear, even feel unconfortable using the telephone on my right ear. In open space sound I use auto tracking and my head will turn for best reception, i do not hold a patent for that, hehe.

You said:
    ======================
    : Who the hell can hear a 0.5.% (a lot according to audiophiles) harmonic distortion produced by a low cost amplifier at 8khz?

My ear has always been the best judge of what to buy in audio equipment and I prefer a "flat" sound, which is most natural for me. I'm a musician who listens to a lot of classical music and have never had my ears blown out from rock concerts or loud machinery.

If I recall correctly, I could hear up to about 15 or 16khz when I was tested as a teendager.

Amps, shmamps. Buy what sounds best for you, not what looks best on paper is the way I look at it.

Farkel
    ========================================

• TheRecordCollector
    TheRecordCollector

ONE......

You were/are a station engineer? That's very cool!
    I'm an announcer. Or used to be.....
    People are telling me that with my "Ear" I should be involved with a
    recording studio. I'm going to look into it.

As for xfering my library to CDR, I had a recorder. It was a piece of crap. Philips. It started out ok....but after about a week, it got to when I took off the pause, it would hesitate about 5 seconds before it would begin the actual recording. Totally blew my cue's.
    I had to trash alot of CDR's because of that thing.
    (I used CDR's not CD-RW's)

To quote you One,
    "TheRecordColletor needs an expensive system in his bedroom so he can listen to RECORDS produced by Rutherford, a dead jw. And then tell us how it sounds.

How do Rutherford records sound? They sound "dead" LOL! :)

TRC

• sleepy
    sleepy

One
    "Who the hell can hear a 0.5.% (a lot according to audiophiles) harmonic distortion produced by a low cost amplifier at 8khz?"

I don't know , but there a hell of a lot more involved in an amplifiers sound than just that.
    Most people who claim there are no differences between high quality audio equipment and cheap stuff have just never heard it.
    I,ve yet to have someone hear my stereo who has not expressed suprise and how much better the music sounds than it does on a normal stereo.
    They can not all be fooling themselves can they? They don't even know its expencive or what claim the manufactures make.

• one
    one

Record,
    "How do Rutherford records sound? They sound "dead" LOL! :)"
    no, itis like they have no "presence" contrary to al the "advertise advertise advertise".

They sound 'funny' being 78 rpm when you play them at 33 rpm.

sleepy,
    "I,ve yet to have someone hear my stereo who has not expressed suprise and how much better the music sounds than it does on a normal stereo."

clarify test conditions please! done while sleeping?
    jw say wt is better than... they never wake up.

• sleepy
    sleepy

"clarify test conditions please! done while sleeping?
    jw say wt is better than... they never wake up."

No done while listening , with out them being told anything about the equipment they are listening too.
    We're talking abot quite obvious improvments here.
    Extra octives of bass , higher sweeter more detailed treble.
    Multiple vocal and instrumental lines when usualy one or two heared on lesser systems more realistic tone extra.

You dont need to be a scientist to hear this.

• clash_city_rockers
    clash_city_rockers

TheRecordCollector,

If you live near Walnut Creek, CA I know of this really killer audiophile store on Locust St near the soccer store on the same block as the multi level parking garage

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit