Unbelieveable (Post for Audiophiles)

by TheRecordCollector 21 Replies latest jw friends

• TheRecordCollector
    TheRecordCollector

I stopped at a local audio store today. The place sell's Home Theatre.
    I found a very attractive system. The OWNNER of the store showed it to me.

They sell "High-End" brand componet's. Classe' etc.
    I asked him a few simple basic audio questions.
    I asked if the Amp was "Current Driven" or "Voltage Driven",
    And if the Sub's were "powered" or "Passive". Very basic question's with very common terms.
    (SHOULD be "common terms" for a man selling a $125,000 system.....)

Anyway, At first he pretended not to hear me. So I thought, "Ok...he didn't hear me." So giving benefit of a the doubt, I asked him again.
    He said "I'm not familiar with those term's." I explained what those term's meant. He said "I don't know."

The man trying to sell me a $125,000 system, and he says, "I don't know" ????????? Give me a BREAK!!!!!!

I mean, My BEDROOM system sounds better than what he was trying to pawn off! (My bedroom system being a 1974 Bang & Olufsen.)

Sorry gang....I guess this is just my "Bitch Session"...... lol.

TRC

• OlderTom
    OlderTom

I don't get it?

What's this got to do with JWism?

And you will know the truth and the REAL truth will set you free.

OlderTom

• OlderTom
    OlderTom

Unless of cause you are trying to show us what a clever Dick you are.

The answer BTW is. It's current driven, how else?

Even valves or tubes if you are a Yank work by current. The grid "Voltage" controls the Anode "Current"

OlderTom

• clash_city_rockers
    clash_city_rockers

I used to have a Mesa Boogie amp that ran 6L6 and 12AX7 toobs and to think I gave it up for some solid state Peavey thing

• DB
    DB

Collector, those are basic questions indeed, especially the one about the subwoofer. Unfortunately, I have also noticed that at times, some dealers and their personnel fall short on audio knowledge. Perhaps the store owner there is mostly into the money end of the business, I don't know, but in any case such a response does not totally surprise me.

• TheRecordCollector
    TheRecordCollector

OLDER TOM......I'm sorry, I don't mean to degrade you, but obviously you're not into audio. I do welcome your comments though....

And to quote you,
    "Unless of cause you are trying to show us what a clever Dick you are."
    Answer: No, not hardly.
    Believe it or not Tom, there are actually Audiophiles on this site.

And once again, "The answer BTW is. It's current driven, how else?"
    Most amp's from the early 1980's to the present are VOLTAGE DRIVEN.
    They are not "DC" amps. That's why they sound so weak and pathetic.

Clash_City_Rocker.....Ahhh, someone who can relate to what I'm talking about!
    You gave up your Mesa Baron?????
    My God man! Peavy sucks. I've got one! Lol!
    That Mesa Baron is a VERY cool amp!

• clash_city_rockers
    clash_city_rockers

At least it wasn't a Mach3 or 4 or old school Mach 1 which are really hotrodded Fender princetons, That would be tottaly wrong. No it was a subway rocket...lol all you want I absolutly deserve it
    I still love my Fender and G&L axes...........

cheers with beers,
    jr

• OlderTom
    OlderTom

Sorry matey but I've repaired more audio equipment than you've had changes of underwear. Believe what you want. It don't make no never mind to me nohow.

OlderTom

• sleepy
    sleepy

Hi record collector.
    More dumbing down.
    It's happening everyware.
    People it seams are after quantity over quality noadays.
    Seams to be lots of shady dealers about.

On another note, learning about Hifi , how things work, how to get the best out of them , helped me on my way out of the org.
    Learning to reason on these things taught me to be more analytical , after all I didn't want to waste my hard earned money.
    It taught me not to believe the hype , but to trust my ears and myself.

• ChuckD
    ChuckD

Were you actually looking to BUY this$125K system, or just waste his time and chat stereo-talk with him?

For what it is worth, I was in the audio business for 15 years, as both a service manager and a store manager for Tweeter, etc. I attended B&O school (where I graduated top in my class) among many others, and am certified in sales AND service for Yamaha, Nakamichi, Carver, NAD, and sundry other brands. I also have an advanced class amateur license, and a SAC (Society Audio Consutntants) certification, so I am hardly a novice to the subject.

With that said, your question as to whether an amp is current or voltage driven would seem odd to me if I was showing you the equipment, and would lead me to think you were more interseted in showing off and making him look uninformed than really wanting to know the answer. If it were that important, you could find out easily enough.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit